Deep littering a straw bed?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I'm currently debating if I could get away with deep littering a straw bed. I've absolutely no experience of this though, so I'm not sure if it would work?

I'm currently doing a full muck out daily (wet & pop taken up, sweep up, stable disinfectant sprayed & a base layer of BedRap put down before straw re-laid) but I've this week moved house. I'm now 15 miles away from the yard, I'm planning on moving my boy closer to home, but until I find a suitable yard time is of the essence in the week.

He's a very good doer & had a mild case of laminitis this summer, so it's important I can exercise him during the week to help manage his weight.

At the moment, he's out at night - so going to the yard before work is fine, as I'm literally just bringing him in, picking out feet, a quick groom & leaving for the day. All my 'dirty' jobs I can leave until the evening. But, at the end of the month, he's going to be back on day turn out & I really can't muck out before work & then go into work!

Hence why I'm considering deep littering. I'd take the wet out at the weekend, so it would only be Monday-Friday he'd be deep littered, but has anyone done this before? Is it likely to cause any problems - I'm a bit cautious about the hygiene aspect ... I'm not sure if that's likely to be a problem though?!

Moomin1

Visit site
I wouldn't even consider it - straw beds stink enough when they are mucked out fully daily so dread to think what they'd be like if deep littered. Could you not do a deep litter shavings/hemp bed instead?

samlf

Visit site
If you can get wood pellets it would work really well, lay a really thick layer of wood pellets in the main pee area (probably 6 bags) then a full straw bed on top. I'd then do a skip out daily, so remove all poo and any wet on top (although there shouldn't be any) and then take up the hard soaked wood pellets every week/fortnight.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Why not put a layer of wood pellets underneath, this will soak up all the wet and take any smell away, you could take them out weekly instead.

Straw's not ideal for deep-littering, but years ago I used to share a horse that was deep littered on straw during the week & mucked out at weekends, it wasn't that bad to be honest.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My husband sometimes does this with our messy gelding while I'm away on longer trips. He takes the droppings out and any obvious wet patches, then puts more clean straw on top. To be honest it actually works better with that gelding than mucking out every day as the bed doesn't get moved around as much. It doesn't seem to smell that much either. I'm always tempted to leave it and see how it goes, but I have OCD when it comes to the stables, so change it all back when I get home!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
do it with 3 mine when they are in, one is a messy cob , one 17hh moose and the other a shetland, all on straw and once you've got a good layer of clean on top it doesn't smell at all. only one who isn't on straw is pony with dust allergy but i do the same system with her woodchip

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I deep litter on straw over winter but never done it over summer.

Have a friend who deep litters on bedrap for broodmares and foals over summer and no problems. Very hygeinic and I helped muck out and it is hard to get to wet layers. No flies and no smell. She wouldn't do it if it wasnt hygienic or safe.

Last edited:

Arizahn

Visit site
If you can get wood pellets it would work really well, lay a really thick layer of wood pellets in the main pee area (probably 6 bags) then a full straw bed on top. I'd then do a skip out daily, so remove all poo and any wet on top (although there shouldn't be any) and then take up the hard soaked wood pellets every week/fortnight.

Would this work with shavings as opposed to pellets does anyone know? I'm considering straw for mine this winter and want to research it before making the decision :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We had to do this at work at one point when their supplier ran out of straw. It was pretty foul to be honest and actually made my eyes hurt just trying to take the poo out not disturbing the actual bed. I couldnt have done it personally out of choice and i think as you are used to not only mucking out properly but disinfecting daily you'd hate it!
I agree with the wood pellets idea- Id go all pellets personally, a massive thick pellet bed wont smell and you can literally just scrape the wet out weekly or whatever.