Deep Littering

B_2_B

Visit site
Right, i'll explain first. I volunteer at Mossburn Animal Rescue Centre in Dumfries, Scotland (you should all come visit
wink.gif
) and for the past god know how many years (before i started there 3 years ago) the cows and horses come in at night durin ghte winter into two big barns. This has been fine but this year we are very short on volunteers and their simply isn't enough manpower or time to muck out the two big barns.
so, the plan this year is to get a gate on the bottom of the yard that doesn't have a gate and to leave the field gates open, bed down one barn, and the animals can come and go as they please.
This barn will be deep littered. Now assuming all goes to plan this will be much better as the workload for us is already quite hard. (and for a little 16 year old midget like me, i'm shattered at the end of the day
grin.gif
)
so i was wondering if anybody deep-litters or has done and how you found it.
smile.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I've just started deep litering only for one stable for one horse mind working well-but i get on my hands and knees to give it TLC(!!!!) At the farm they deep litter the cows on straw then just use a farm machine to dig it out. Lot farmers just use waste from stables though!

Marnie

Visit site
Our yard does similar with the youngsters, they bed down well on straw and just throw clean on top every couple of days. They then clean it out a couple of times with a tractor and bucket. I thought that their feet and wind might suffer, but there hasn't been a problem at all, the horses are all happy, and as there is plenty of ventilation they don't have any breathing problems. They have been doing similar for a couple of years now, and it is much easier than when they used to muck out every day!

pagancluf

Visit site
This week I have just changed one of my horses to deep litter - mainly because his bed is like a family bag of maltesers scattered around as he box walks and it is very time consuming.. so I am gonna see how it goes - I just take a thin layer off the top every day and leave wee at bottom - he is on concrete so may keep warmer - just concerened about the smell and amonia vapours - any ideas on this anyone?

KatB

Visit site
Are you on shaving PC?! I have always deep littered mine, his bed doesnt smell, and although never looks as "white" as some of the other beds, always looks clean, and easy to maintain. In the week I just skip out, and at weekends throw up the loose stuff on top, throw out tyhe loose smelly stuff that would otherise be mixed in, leave the base well alone, and bed back down on top, adding new bed when top loose layer gets thin. This way the top stays relatively clean, and thick so keeps smell under control!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I deep littered my 2 last winter as it was easier and kept them warmer. It worked great, no smells and always looked nice, BUT, when it came to emptying the stables when they went out 24/7 it took me 5 hours to empty each stable and it was damn hard work, backbreaking in fact and it stunk! Not sure if I did it wrong or not but I don't think so. It saves time over the winter but be prepared to pay that time back when you have to clear it out!!

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
ive just changed mine to deep litter with shavings

whilst difficult at first, once the base is down it is much easier, and your not wasting as much as your not taking out the wet

sounds like a great idea for your sanctuary!

id say shavings is easier to deep litter than straw and doesnt smell as much

MillionDollar

Visit site
This is what i do in the winter i have a big barn and the horses can go in and out as they please. I do poo pick every other day and then my uncle puts a huge bale of straw every other week.

We also let a barn out to someone who kept about 10 TB broodmares in it and he never mucked out and just got my uncle to put a bale in every week, works really well, it keeps clean and the horses love it.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have done this in the past, just be careful if hay gets mixed up in the bed from messy eaters. If it gets wet it gets very hot, we ended up only half deep littering as it got so hot and steamed when moved and we were worried about it setting on fire!

Henmen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Are you on shaving PC?! I have always deep littered mine, his bed doesnt smell, and although never looks as "white" as some of the other beds, always looks clean, and easy to maintain. In the week I just skip out, and at weekends throw up the loose stuff on top, throw out tyhe loose smelly stuff that would otherise be mixed in, leave the base well alone, and bed back down on top, adding new bed when top loose layer gets thin. This way the top stays relatively clean, and thick so keeps smell under control!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what i do, but i do above every day not week. I leave loose stuff up during the day if shes out to let the base air.

KatB

Visit site
Yeah I'll throw up "messy" areas every day to clean poo out thoroughly, but do the whole bed at the weekend, and turn over banks. When bed is 100% established, will be done everyday.