Define a schoolmaster?

Pennythetank

Visit site
Just musing after an interesting talk with a friend and was wondering what ye would call a schoolmaster...
I have always thought that it was a horse that insisted on the rider having perfect aids etc in order for it to teach the rider what the perfect aids etc were but my friend insisted on calling a schoolmaster what I would call closer to a push button.
So I leave it up to ye, what would you call a schoolmaster? :)

orionstar

Visit site
Something that had been there, seen it done it, got the t-shirt, and it didnt matter whether you got the aids slightly wrong, he knew want you meant anyway!

ponydi

Visit site
I'm with you: to me a schoolmaster will not go correctly until you ask it (more or less) correctly. At the same time it needs to be good-natured enough to put up with your attempts to do this.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I'd say a horse that has been there done that and has all the movements established for its particlar disapline so can teach a rider the feel of a movement even if they don't ask quite right... The horse that needs perfection in riding is just an average horse surely?

TGM

Visit site
I think it depends on what type of schoolmaster you are talking about - there is a hell of a difference between an advanced dressage schoolmaster and a Pony Club schoolmaster, for instance!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
There are 2 types of schoolmaster in my eyes.

1. The push button horse/pony, easy in all respects. Buttons may need to be pushed a bit harder on occasions. Probably a jack of all trades, tho unlikely to be master of any. Suitable for a new novicey owner, just as orionstar says.

2. Specific schoolmaster. This is talented in its sphere - whether SJ, polo, eventing or dressage etc. Will carry on & get the rider out of trouble when jumping and the like, will be pretty problem free to compete at mid level upwards. NOT suitable for novice starters.