Deformed foals

Victoria25

Visit site
Hi guys

As most of you will have read, unfortunately my mare aborted her filly two days after her due date. My vet was shocked she'd carried it so long and said she should have aborted it before now - she was fully developed apart from having no top jaw ... she had a normal bottom jaw with gums but what first looked rather like a cleft top lip revealed no gums/top jaw?

I understand 'things happen' but has anyone else experienced this before?

At what stage of the fetus developing is the jaw? Did this happen because of something I did wrong?

Is this something that could possibly happen if I tried again? x

koeffee

Visit site
Sadly you may never know what happened, i bred a foal years ago went to term but foal had no eyes, had the pupil the rest didnt form and was pts vet put it down to mare getting an infection and its something that happens, she went on to have healthy foals afterwards.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Nature is continually experimenting and what survives, goes on to breed -- successfully or not. If that did not happen, horses would be the size of rabbits with three toes on each foot.:eek:

I am sure you did nothing "wrong". These things happen. They are called mutations. The genetic code is passed from generation to generation and sometimes "Send reinforcements, we are going to advance" ends up as "Send three and four pence, we are going to a dance".:(

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Don't blame yourself Victoria. Sometimes these things happen and for me, it's better to be able to see the fault of why the foal is un-viable/died than have a perfectly formed one that doesn't live for some reason you can't see.
I would be inclined to say that it's a one off and you could try again but do take your vet and stud advice.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Sadly you may never know what happened, i bred a foal years ago went to term but foal had no eyes, had the pupil the rest didnt form and was pts vet put it down to mare getting an infection and its something that happens, she went on to have healthy foals afterwards.

Microphthalmia. I don't think even the vets know for sure why this happens but I have had one foal with it and several lambs. An accident of Nature and no blame can be apportioned to the breeder or the parents.

Spring Feather

Visit site
It's always nice to have an answer as to why things happen but often in nature there are no definitive answers. It's unfortunate but it's the circle of life. I had a full term foal stillborn last year. Nothing wrong with the foal, was perfect and alive the night before birth, but at some point getting into foaling position it got umbilical torsion which cut off the oxygen and blood supply to the foal. It was such a waste of a beautiful foal, but there's nothing you can do. The mare foaled a stunning foal this year.

Victoria25

Visit site
Thanks for replying ... I do understand these things happen but just worried about trying again and the same thing happening :eek:

Awating feedback from the stud as heard from a friend that arabs crossed with certain breeds 'are always misformed' which I didnt think was possible .. and that was coming from an arabian breeder?

Last edited:

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear of this disappointment. Nature does tend to do some things to us that are unexpected; it's cruel, and I feel for you, but it can be more cruel in human malformations which of course don't give the PTS option - though this is cold comfort to you at this time.

Again, I'm so sorry that such a sad thing has happened.

Amos

Visit site
So sorry to hear your news. I also had one that was born with its nose/top jaw not formed properly. Foaled full term and normal size etc. Mare sneaked it out in the field. It was up and full of beans but obviously going forward wasn't an option poor thing. Mare had had normal foals until and after with no problems. Sadly just one of those things but always brings you back to earth with a bump!

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
So sorry for your loss.
I too would be interested in looking at the pictures.
We had a cat give birth to 6 kittens but only 5 survived. We had a look at the poor dead one and were stumped. It was only later after a bit of research that we discovered that the kitten had been born with a cleft pallet and a nasal problem and would probably have died during labour.
It was quite an interesting read and the amount of kittens that pass through the sanctuary its bound to happen again-but at least this time we are prepared. Its how we learn I suppose.

Mega

Visit site
So sorry for you and your mare. It's a truly dreadful thing to go through. My mare lost a foal at full term (no apparent reason) a couple of years ago. I feel your pain, but you must not blame yourself.
Go easy on yourself at the moment and take comfort in the fact you still have your mare healthy and well. That's what helped me xxxx

Victoria25

Visit site
So sorry to hear your news. I also had one that was born with its nose/top jaw not formed properly. Foaled full term and normal size etc. Mare sneaked it out in the field. It was up and full of beans but obviously going forward wasn't an option poor thing. Mare had had normal foals until and after with no problems. Sadly just one of those things but always brings you back to earth with a bump!

Thanks Amos, interesting to hear - sounds like the same thing ... she had her between 2-5am by the looks of it and the bag hadnt broken so Im assuming died at this point - vet said he would have been coming to pts had this not happened.

Thanks again to everyone taking the time to reply ... its so hard when you've been looking forward to something so much especially it being our first (her and me) ... just send me your email addresses if you'd like to see photos xx

elumpshie

Visit site
So sorry for your loss hope you and your mare are ok. The past two years I've had nightmare 1st foal was born asleep with 1 contracted tendon with lots of talking to my vet I decided to try again and she had another colt but had to be delivered by c section wood love to no if anyone ever herd of that before any way colt was alive but with 2 contracted tendons and back hip wasn't right the wee sole could get up walk about himself thou had to bottle feed him every 2 hrs then after 5 days was decided he be best PTs as to much wrong with him broke my heart