Delete if not aloud

DreamTime22

Visit site
I have seen a lot of adverts with things like "know vices or health issues". What?!?

And a restaurant the other day that had a Pizza's section!!! I've never seen anyone put an apostrophe in pizzas before.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Couldn't help but respond to this thread! As a teacher and self-appointed grammar police of my school, online forums often set my teeth on edge. I can stop myself from telling people that they should have used a semi-colon or a colon instead of a comma (because, after all, who actually needs to use those once they've finished primary school and completed the arbitrary grammar and punctuation in the National Curriculum!), but I really dislike the amount of spelling mistakes and basic punctuation (or lack thereof!) seen so much online.

All that work and now spelling mistakes are in fashion! Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Please, please, please tell me that you're joking! I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually true, and I'll be facing an uphill battle against the children who want to look cool... :rolleyes:

Melody Grey

Visit site
I can’t stand it when people call their horse ‘sexy’, there is a women on my friends list on Facebook who calls her mare ‘sexy’ and ‘sexy lady’, what is that all about 😫
Yes- worryingly I've seen it to describe pictures of peoples' babies too, but not intended in a sexualised way, just a completely inappropriate choice of vocabulary.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
You’re all preaching to the choir here - I’m a freelance copy-editor and proofreader by profession! I’ve had to make my own personal rule - no proofreading anything unless I’m being paid to do it. It’s the only way I can keep my hands to myself on social media!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I think that most of the time, when the inappropriate word appears, it's the fault of the user typing on a mobile phone.

There are collections called DYAC (Damn you, auto-correct) spread across various sites including, but not limited to, Reddit, Buzzfeed, Mashable, Pinterest, with hundreds of screen captures of conversations with usually humorous, often cringeworthy and occasionally disturbing "corrections".

I can forgive those, usually. As I can forgive or even appreciate the humour of mixing metaphors when I think it's being done deliberately.

But I roll my eyes when I see constructions like "I could care less", " I would of", "draw queen".