Delusional owners

Blondiecopper

Visit site
You're absolutely right, I don't agree that's in the best interest of the horse either.

Did they really go hunting or just went for the photo opportunity?

If I were to have concerns, genuine concerns about welfare, I'd broach in person and leave them to live whatever life they want to on social media.

You're not an old cynic, the world and how we live it has changed so much, for the worse!

oh no..
Had the full day out. Poor staff had to deal with the horse on return and with the fact the poor thing was exhausted. Bitchy or not that’s wrong IMO.

Apizz2019

Visit site
oh no..
Had the full day out. Poor staff had to deal with the horse on return and with the fact the poor thing was exhausted. Bitchy or not that’s wrong IMO.

You're right. I'd not take anything hunting for a whole day if not fit and ready.
Would the person not have listened to reason if someone had spoken to them to point out the obvious?

Birker2020

Visit site
We don't know what disability she's claiming to have tbf if she's claiming to be an amputee and has all four limbs she's very obviously lying (for example)
I thought she has MS but I'm not sure. When she started trolling me on FB and threatening me with trying to find out where i worked to grass me up about some imagined wrong I'd done at work it kind of sent me over the edge and i left the forum.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Social media is ignorable, unless it's harming people in the real world. In the dark ages, before social media was a thing, I briefly kept my horse at a barn in a New York City borough, and the barn owner was most assuredly bonkers. She insisted that she had rescued tigers at a different farm somewhere. Like a female New York version of Joe Exotic. Was that true? Could have been. I don't know. Neither did Google. She claimed that she had taught [insert all high level American riders from the early 2000s here] everything they know. She also claimed that she'd taught people like Monty Roberts all they know. Was that true? Probably not. She said that she had "saved the life" of every horse on her property, including mine. I was pretty sure that wasn't true.

Her loopy stories were amusing until she had the vet draw blood on my horse, testing her for a disease she definitely did not have, while I was 2000 miles away visiting my parents in a different state. I asked, "Why the hell do you think she has EPM?" Crazy barn owner said, "She is weaker on one side than the other." I said, "So is every horse." It's like testing a human for MS because they only write with their right hand. She replied, "More horses have EPM than are ever diagnosed." Oy.

And she only told me about this after the fact. Cost me $100 bucks. I was very unamused.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I thought she has MS but I'm not sure. When she started trolling me on FB and threatening me with trying to find out where i worked to grass me up about some imagined wrong I'd done at work it kind of sent me over the edge and i left the forum.

Omg what?? Why? Why would anyone do this? ?

Blondiecopper

Visit site
You're right. I'd not take anything hunting for a whole day if not fit and ready.
Would the person not have listened to reason if someone had spoken to them to point out the obvious?

Unfortunately not.
The pressure of the social media page and the promise of photos was too great...
plus then accusations of bullying would ensue as owner wouldn’t like the truth!

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Oh dear, sad for the horse. That's all ?
Agreed.
turning a ‘blind eye’ now is something that we are expected to do.

Gone are the days we could have a conversation about a horses welfare. Now you get told you are interfering or as I said bullying.
It seems it’s more about not upsetting the owner than actually looking after the horse.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Because i have since found out I am only one of many. I ended up with anxiety and panic attacks. I tried to stay off the forum but always ended up feeding the fire by trying to justify myself. Then I'd get more abuse and again feel compelled to justify myself. It made me ill. I would open up the post and read a reply and be upset and in tears shaking. It really affected me. It caused a rift between my partner and i who couldn't understand why i wouldn't keep away, why i kept setting myself up for heartbreak. I have since learned this pattern of behaviour is what trolls love.

I'm so sorry to read this, that's awful!
We've all dropped a bollock, for want of a better saying, none of us are perfect at all but nothing justifies making anyone feel the way you did.

I dropped one the other evening on a popular post and was slaughtered because I'd expressed an honest opinion. The irony is, I'd been defending said person on social media even though I don't know them, but based on fact and evidence provided at the Facebook trial.

I subsequently received nasty messages from here and Facebook and while initially shocked, I just chose not to respond and play into their hands.

I really hope you're in a much better place now?

Apizz2019

Visit site
Agreed.
turning a ‘blind eye’ now is something that we are expected to do.

Gone are the days we could have a conversation about a horses welfare. Now you get told you are interfering or as I said bullying.
It seems it’s more about not upsetting the owner than actually looking after the horse.

Sadly, yes. And the social media trials are awful and can bring someone down very easily.
Hence why I turn a blind eye, which goes against my nature, but is the best thing for my sanity.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this, that's awful!
We've all dropped a bollock, for want of a better saying, none of us are perfect at all but nothing justifies making anyone feel the way you did.

I dropped one the other evening on a popular post and was slaughtered because I'd expressed an honest opinion. The irony is, I'd been defending said person on social media even though I don't know them, but based on fact and evidence provided at the Facebook trial.

I subsequently received nasty messages from here and Facebook and while initially shocked, I just chose not to respond and play into their hands.

I really hope you're in a much better place now?
Ahh thank you. Sorry about your experience too. Resilience has always been just out of my grasp. Thing is I'm old enough and mature enough to be able to handle it...just. I didn't handle it well and i became quite ill because of it. But i am still here. But for someone younger than me they may not have the tools to cope. Cyber bullying kills and because I used to work in childrens social care, albeit it in a secretarial role, i know this as our team sadly had first hand experience of this happening to a young person in the care of the LA. Very sad.

Trolls can be very clever and some have a large following. They may post what appears to be harmless replies but to that person being trolled it means something, the level of which only the troll and the trolled understand. So to others that 'connection' is lost and they cant see what is happening in front of their eyes. Its hard to explain. They keep pushing and pushing to get the reaction they want with even more tenacity and intensity and you justify yourself again and again, ita a vicious circus. So sorry to hijack the post OP x

Last edited:

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Ahh thank you. Sorry about your experience too. Resilience has always been just out of my grasp. Thing is I'm old enough and mature enough to be able to handle it...just. I didn't handle it well and i became quite ill because of it. But i am still here. But for someone younger than me they may not have the tools to cope. Cyber bullying kills and because I used to work in childrens social care, albeit it in a secretarial role, i know this as our team sadly had first hand experience of this happening to a young person in the care of the LA. Very sad.

Trolls can be very clever and some have a large following. They may post what appears to be harmless replies but to that person being trolled it means something, the level of which only the troll and the trolled understand. So to others that 'connection' is lost and they cant see what is happening in front of their eyes. Its hard to explain. Anyway sorry to hijack the post OP x
?

Apizz2019

Visit site

Trolls can be very clever and some have a large following. They may post what appears to be harmless replies but to that person being trolled it means something, the level of which only the troll and the trolled understand. So to others that 'connection' is lost and they cant see what is happening in front of their eyes. Its hard to explain. Anyway sorry to hijack the post OP x

I don't think people realise the impact a few words can have, sadly.

I'm here if ever you need anything.....

mini_b

Visit site
Funny this thread came up today - I’ve just blocked a “social media star” who I’m quite frankly sick of seeing tbh plastered on every forum, horse page on Facebook and whatnot.

Feel quite sorry for the poor nag and it sounds rather like the person described by OP.

people create their own online lives to make up what they are lacking in real life, makes me feel somewhat sorry for them really. It does make you wonder.

meleeka

Visit site
Someone near me used to have “a stud” it was actually a muddy field with two stables. She regularly posted photos of her horses and actually was quite a talented photographer. The photos made the horses and field look wonderful! I remember once it snowed. She’d had a horse locked in a stable for a couple of months but got it out for photos. She put a carrier bag on the end of a lunge line and chased it round the field for 10 minutes to get some beautiful photos to post online. To her followers she was this successful breeder when in fact she was the worst owner imaginable (and only ever bred one foal). Nobody who really knew was surprised when one of her horses was found dead having been abandoned in a stable for two weeks. She managed to get her mother to take the blame, but her lies were exposed. Fast forward a coupe of years and a different location and she’s at it again. I just don’t look anymore.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Someone near me used to have “a stud” it was actually a muddy field with two stables. She regularly posted photos of her horses and actually was quite a talented photographer. The photos made the horses and field look wonderful! I remember once it snowed. She’d had a horse locked in a stable for a couple of months but got it out for photos. She put a carrier bag on the end of a lunge line and chased it round the field for 10 minutes to get some beautiful photos to post online. To her followers she was this successful breeder when in fact she was the worst owner imaginable (and only ever bred one foal). Nobody who really knew was surprised when one of her horses was found dead having been abandoned in a stable for two weeks. She managed to get her mother to take the blame, but her lies were exposed. Fast forward a coupe of years and a different location and she’s at it again. I just don’t look anymore.

Shocking the lengths some will go to, to get likes.

Very sad.

scats

Visit site
If they’re not hurting anyone, I’m more in the camp of live and let live. You can always stop following them if you don’t like it. I’m not really into the influencer thing but I follow a few people who I genuinely enjoy reading updates from.
No idea who you are talking about by the way, they don’t ring any bells so I don’t think I follow them.

Birker2020

Visit site
You never know when you might need a helping hand. My door is always open and I mean that. Always x
thank you x In this current climate we all need to stick together, value each other, respect each others opinions and be kind. My Grandma usde to say 'you can have anything in the world if you strive to gain it, but to have a kind heart is the most treasured and valuable thing you can ever own'.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If they’re not hurting anyone, I’m more in the camp of live and let live. You can always stop following them if you don’t like it. I’m not really into the influencer thing but I follow a few people who I genuinely enjoy reading updates from.
No idea who you are talking about by the way, they don’t ring any bells so I don’t think I follow them.
totally agree

influences etc aren't my bag but I can't understand why people get so wound up by it. just look at something else.