Delusional owners

Lady2021

Visit site
This story doesn’t sound legitimate as it goes on. It keeps changing as more people are replaying. Probably someone with to much time on there hands. A lot the threads op has made aren’t very nice.

My Boys M&D

Visit site
I feel almost compelled though because i can see it as wrong. I can understand why people might change details on the forum if they've been bullied or targeted by trolls and i can understand the odd white lie if it saves face in a particular situation but to proclaim that you've just come back from Scope Festival with your horse that's just gone really well in a 1.20 and leave out the small detail that you weren't actually the one riding it is just really weird in my eyes.

I used to compete unaff elementary on my horse. Quite often the prelim and Novice classes would be fairly full but I'd often struggle with finding another horse in my Elementary class, much less two or three. Most often we'd win (I'm not being big headed when i say that) so I'd go back to the yard and get asked how I'd got on. But i would always say "I won, but there was only two of us in the class". Never did i make out i was the next Charlotte De Jardin :D i guess I'm not a very good liar. Nor would i want to lie. And i would always worry about getting found out as i know someone who said they'd won a class, when i looked at the results they'd actually got eliminated lol

OMG I have a friend that does this! Does a lot of dressage and always posts on social media about 'another win', complete with pictures of rosettes etc. Completely misses out the fact that her trainer schools her horse for her 4 days per week, and she was the only one in the class! I've also known her to lie about her placing and also bump up the % by a couple of marks. I find it bizarre as often we are at the same shows and even in the same classes, so she must realise that I and others must know she's lying. It's so brazen!

But on social media she gets al the "omg amazing result hun" and "you're so talented" comments so that must make her feel happy and why she does it maybe?

Drives me nuts as I see it as dishonest but I never say anything, just roll my eyes and scroll past. I'm more the self deprecating type, it just would never occur to me to tell the world that I'm amazing at something (even if I was!)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You know, I find if ironic that so many people are telling the OP to turn a blind eye to behavior she doesn't like or want to see on social media, yet here are several others complaining about the OP instead of turning a blind eye.

If people want to rant, fine. Sometimes it's petty, but whatever. I might not agree with said rant but I figure the person had a moment of frustration and move along.

It is irritating to see people make up a whole different reality sometimes, especially when you know the truth (just saying in general, not specific to this OP). Most days you can ignore and get on with it, sometimes it might get to you. We're only human. I do my best to fill my FB news feed with certain people and things, and this does make life better on there.

OP has specifically invited comment from HHO'ers by posting on here

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Starting a thread with the specific intent to bitch about someone, and have others agree with you, IS bullying. It's not 'being honest' or 'the good old days'. Why does it matter if they fabricate a
So op isn't on the same yard as the individual,
Doesn't follow them,
And is basing the entire 'rant' off second hand gossip?
Yeah, 'oh dear' sounds about right tbh.

It is half term though I suppose.
you lot do make me laugh ? you accuse people of being bullies yet actively join in yourselves! Hypocrites.
anyway back to school it is! ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
So, to clarify- you don't follow this person, and you haven't seen their posts, and they aren't on your yard- presumably you don't know them that well? But you feel entitled to start a thread insinuating they're lying about having a disability?

It doesn't really feel like you are covering yourself with glory, here, OP.

Blondiecopper

Visit site
So, to clarify- you don't follow this person, and you haven't seen their posts, and they aren't on your yard- presumably you don't know them that well? But you feel entitled to start a thread insinuating they're lying about having a disability?

It doesn't really feel like you are covering yourself with glory, here, OP.
Nope. Haven’t said that. They are not on my yard.
I do know them. I have seen their page. I don’t doubt their disabilitie(s)
I don’t follow them (for fear of repeating myself) I am not on social media.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Nope. Haven’t said that. They are not on my yard.
I do know them. I have seen their page. I don’t doubt their disabilitie(s)
I don’t follow them (for fear of repeating myself) I am not on social media.

Your OP definitely implies that you doubt their disabilities. Maybe edit that or ask HHO to?

It sounds like an awful lot of this is just based on gossip, which feels unfair.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
so what is the issue exactly? someone may be presenting a somewhat edited version of their life on social media. people who know them in person probably can tell which bits are more realistic than others. other people can choose or not to engage with them on SM, you've chosen not to. we all know this kind of thing happens on social media and to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

So.... why does it matter?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have read the thread and there's a lot of grumbling about people wanting "likes" and telling lies on SM and one mention of them taking a horse out hunting once, that wasn't fit for it. other than that it's on full livery so presumably day to day care is taken care of?

Blondiecopper

Visit site
so what is the issue exactly? someone may be presenting a somewhat edited version of their life on social media. people who know them in person probably can tell which bits are more realistic than others. other people can choose or not to engage with them on SM, you've chosen not to. we all know this kind of thing happens on social media and to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

So.... why does it matter?
Because.... people like this who deceive people set up Just Giving pages, Crowdfunding and so on. Innocent people then hand over their hard earned cash because of what they ‘believe’ to be true.
THAT is what is morally very wrong.

fankino04

Visit site
Years ago at a yard I worked at there was a retired army guy who was a total alcoholic, he would turn up to ride most days but sometimes had to sleep the booze off in his car first. His horse was a total Saint as sometimes he was so sozzled he could barely sit up yet he would tell the most wonderful tales about the amazing ride across country they had just had. 1 occasion always springs to mind of the time he decided to go hunting as the meet was just up the road, he didn't arrive in time to get his horse ready so we made sure he was good to go when the owner arrived, he then proceeded to untack and retack the horse (to check it was done properly obviously, not at all about making sure he missed the meet and didn't go hunting) anyway we finally got him on his way and he was gone for about 4 hours. Several people had spotted his horse that day tied up outside the village pub but when he came back he still told us wonderful tales of his excellent days hunting, even stuck to his story when we pointed out that the hunt hadn't gone that way, that confusion was caused by the fact that the pack split and he went with the others ?

sherry90

Visit site
Honestly, life is too short. Scroll on by.
Majority of social media is only the best of what people want you to see and edited/fabricated/filtered and a lot of people tell white lies. If you don’t believe them, fine. Move on.

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Years ago at a yard I worked at there was a retired army guy who was a total alcoholic, he would turn up to ride most days but sometimes had to sleep the booze off in his car first. His horse was a total Saint as sometimes he was so sozzled he could barely sit up yet he would tell the most wonderful tales about the amazing ride across country they had just had. 1 occasion always springs to mind of the time he decided to go hunting as the meet was just up the road, he didn't arrive in time to get his horse ready so we made sure he was good to go when the owner arrived, he then proceeded to untack and retack the horse (to check it was done properly obviously, not at all about making sure he missed the meet and didn't go hunting) anyway we finally got him on his way and he was gone for about 4 hours. Several people had spotted his horse that day tied up outside the village pub but when he came back he still told us wonderful tales of his excellent days hunting, even stuck to his story when we pointed out that the hunt hadn't gone that way, that confusion was caused by the fact that the pack split and he went with the others ?

be careful, you’ll be accused of bullying an alcoholic ?

Caol Ila

Visit site

Had a horsey friend during my undergrad years who had a penchant for making up wild stories about her adventures. She had one about her horse jumping into the lake on campus and swimming across it with her. Trouble was, she would not hack by herself. She said she'd put her mare into foal shortly after we all graduated, but then the mare aborted the pregnancy. Was the mare ever in foal? Who knows. Another time, she claimed that she told a fellow boarder at the stables, who she did not like, that fellow boarder "could take her attitude and shove it so far up her ass..." Kind of the full Malcolm Tucker treatment. She wasn't that brazen. Few people are.

There were many, many others, but those are the ones I remember. Things like that were harmless, but we had some falling outs because she would tell you that she'd do something for you and then say she'd done it when she hadn't. That was less than ideal. But we all stayed friends with her -- with the knowledge that you should never believe a thing she says unless you could corroborate it. I think she's better now that she's in her 30s. I hope so.

There was a livery at a yard I used to be on who told everyone that her horse was a "retired champion eventer." While very bored one day, I looked up its BE record. It ran one Novice course about ten years beforehand. Who knows what was going on there. Slightly odd, I thought, but harmless. If she'd been selling the horse, that would be more problematic, but she had no intentions of selling so it didn't matter.

Social media probably magnifies this stuff, but it's been going on since humans could tell stories to one another. Early humans probably sat around their fires, complaining, "Oh, dear. Thag's off on one telling everyone how he singlehandedly took down a mammoth. Again. Sheesh."

Last edited:

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Well if I didn't have social media I wouldn't have spoken to anyone outside my fairly toxic family for the last year thanks to Covid, and I'm sure many people are the same.
If you're too immature to block and move on from pages you don't like, though, maybe you shouldn't be on there.

What a very hurtful thing to say. I struggle massively to move on when I have seen something traumatic on Facebook. I've removed myself for that very reason.

I don't think me being perhaps a little sensitive means I'm immature.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
There is a sort of irony in someone posting about another person’s exaggerations online with third-hand information from the gossip mill at their yard. You don’t know this girl personally, you can’t know how truthful people are being - spreading stories online about how awful she is doesn’t do any good.

Visit site
What a very hurtful thing to say. I struggle massively to move on when I have seen something traumatic on Facebook. I've removed myself for that very reason.

I don't think me being perhaps a little sensitive means I'm immature.

Wait, telling people not to go on social media if it upsets them is hurtful, yet you removed yourself because you found content upsetting ??

I was saying people who whine about it then choose not to distance themselves from it are immature. Not people who do ?

Blondiecopper

Visit site
There is a sort of irony in someone posting about another person’s exaggerations online with third-hand information from the gossip mill at their yard. You don’t know this girl personally, you can’t know how truthful people are being - spreading stories online about how awful she is doesn’t do any good.
I do know the person.
you are calling her a ‘her’ when I haven’t specified a gender.