Demo at Diamond Centre tonight-cancelled-strangles nearby

ajb

Visit site
Hiya
to anyone who was thinking of going to the Diamond Centre tonight to watch the Pat Smedley dressage /showing demo it has been cancelled due to strangles in the area-NOT at the centre but they have been advised to cancel all events-including jumping at the weekend until the risk passes as its a local horse that has it. We are hoping it will be re-scheduled soon as it was to raise much needed funds for the RDA.
frown.gif

ajb

Visit site
no it was 5 horses from outside the yard coming in for the demo..they are all from deepest Sussex but even so vet things shouldnt have any horses coming in to the yard ..shame but sure it will happen sometime in the future!

Parkranger

Visit site
I didn't actually know that....mmmmm, think I need some strangles education.

Surely it's similar to any infection and can't live on the skin etc for prolonged periods of time.

_April_

Visit site
Oh I'm not really sure about on skin... but I know it can survive for a long time on equipment and tack so you need to be careful with your clothing etc.

KJJ

Visit site
The strangles virus can live on the skin.. but not for very long.
tongue.gif
However it has the same 'life' be it on skin or on equipment... TBH the warmer the area the better as it thrives in water and warm conditions!

tarzipan06

Visit site
Talking of strangles. Does anyone know if these sort of epidemics happen regularly? Years ago (about 20) I remember strangles being around - then I was out of horses for a while and been back 3 years but this is the first I've really heard about scares? Can anyone advise?

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably because strangles can be passed indirectly from horse-person-horse!

[/ QUOTE ]

FALSE

[/ QUOTE ]Not False at all GT's!!
confused.gif

Tia

Visit site
I think that she may mean that a horse owner can pass it on from their clothing and boots (hence the use of "indirectly")......well that's how I took it.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that she may mean that a horse owner can pass it on from their clothing and boots (hence the use of "indirectly")......well that's how I took it.

[/ QUOTE ]Tis how I read it too... and it is possible. x

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably because strangles can be passed indirectly from horse-person-horse!

[/ QUOTE ]

FALSE

[/ QUOTE ]Not False at all GT's!!
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not going to pass on strangles to another horse by being in the vasinty of an infected horse - it amazes me how much you guys in England worry about strangles. Out here it is very different, hardly any fuss. Infact I moved my horses from a barn with a case of strangles to another farm, told the owner - she did not care, and no one got sick.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You are not going to pass on strangles to another horse by being in the vasinty of an infected horse - it amazes me how much you guys in England worry about strangles. Out here it is very different, hardly any fuss. Infact I moved my horses from a barn with a case of strangles to another farm, told the owner - she did not care, and no one got sick.

[/ QUOTE ]TBH GT's that sounds pretty reckless to me...

You CAN very much pass on the strangles (streptococus (sp?)) virus from one horse to another.... if you have been in contact with an infected horse....