Demons laid firmly to rest...the Captains Hargate BD report...

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
it all turned out all right on the night....but it didnt start well.....

i always hack day before a show as think its a less pressured way to do it, and gets them in a relaxed mindset, so on sat mum and i decided to go along a permisssive track round a friends farm. All was well, wandered past the sleepy cows, up the hill and round the crop field loop and then all of a sudden CS started grunting, going down on his knees, pawing and cow kicking...thinking horse fly i leapt off and tried to check him, mange to kill one on his chest but he continued to grunt and dig and try and get down and then cow kick in circles round me, hadnt a clue what to do as he can be a handful to lead and i felt id be safer on so did a mad scramble and said to mum lets get home asap.....honestly though he was having a colic attack, was making horrendous noise and kicking and digging all the way back down the hill, at one point reared and tried to rub himself along hedge and fell partially in to hedge and nearly lost me(which set mum off squeaking in fear, not being the bravest...)
then, as soon as he started, he settled and was walking normally so we scurried home as quickly as we could.....and when i got off to un-tack could see the problem.....his elbow/armpit was HUGE and there was a smooshed wasp in the folds of skin, poor poor pony.so immediately cold hosed for 20mins, and then mum and i took it in turns to cold pack it with ice packs for 20min on,20mins off, virtually all evening until it had gone down a lot. left him overnight with a big slodge of homeopathic sting cream on, and some antihistamines in his tea :(

thankfully this morning it was only a tiny bit puffy, and not sore to touch any more so we decided to go ahead with competing and keep an eye on it.

it was baking baking hot so i reduced my warm up to half an hour but TBH i think i could have done with the full 50mins as he was back to cocky kevin and running through the hand a bit, however pleased to report that he was 5000% better than last time we were at hargate (when all the show sillyness started), so couldnt be too upset!
did lots of walk breaks, and we had taken a spray bottle of iced water, which we kept misting him with and he loved that, and didnt get too hot at all considering the weather.
went in to the ring for E42,and he didnt set it on fire-ran on a bit in the trot, changed in the counter canter and tried to do a duck and barge round the corner, at which point i pulled him up, flexed him and then trotted on, as he was just getting too above himself, little toad!!!
despite the slight breaking issues, he got 63.1% and was 3rd, so second area sheet in the bag and thus qual nailed!!!

gave him a good rinse and a drink in between classes and then hopped back on, and he was much more on my aids second time around, although gettting a bit bothered by flies, was almost spooking at them and running from them,which given the wasp incident i totally let him off for, poor chap.

E50 was a whole lot better, softer but in front of the leg, and although i fluffed the second simple change we managed 68.5% for 2nd, so really pleased with how he concentrated on me in that one :) and we beat an amazingly smart uber moving horse, so even more chuffed lol!!!!

so lots more sparkley points and a trip to the area festivals well earnt, clever toddler pony!

streeetchy pony:
P1000655.jpg

being bogged off with in canter!
P1000689.jpg

gooood boy...
P1000693.jpg

trit trotting...
P1000669.jpg

in the ring...
P1000705.jpg

P1000715.jpg

flying medium canter!
P1000722.jpg

second test and die hard as i am, even i had to go minus jacket!
P1000747.jpg

P1000751.jpg

love this one :)
P1000762.jpg

streeeetchy canter pony..
P1000764.jpg

spicy italian chicken kebabs, french dressed salad and a magners for all who get this far!

Mabel98

Visit site
Well done, great result considering the wasp incident. I like the iced water spray idea; might adopt that one for my ODE on Tuesday!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Well done! He looks brilliant as usual and fab results :D
Poor pony with the wasp sting though, Wilby had a panic on the yard a couple of weeks back and shot backwards, managing to snap the string, break his leadrope and cut his nose open, and the only thing I can think of that might have caused it was a sting. Well done for getting it to go down so quickly, and the iced water spray sounds like a good trick, may have to try that :D

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
the iced water was lovely (me and mum had a quick spritz too!!!), because i put so much ice in it, it was like ice mush, and it kept cool all day, he loved it-even let me mist his sweaty head!!

think the cold packs really did the trick on the sting (wrapped in a stripey sock to stop skin freeze!!!), and he had that "oooooooh yeah just there" look on his face whilst it was on, so must have really relieved the pain.

thank you all, really pleased with second test.

Booboos

Visit site
How scary with the wasp! (I am allergic to wasp stings so they freak me out a bit!) Glad he wasn't too badly affected and he could compete the next day - well done on the super results!!!

diggerbez

Visit site
QR
looking VERY nice and smart...(even sans jacket :p ) Well done on getting the qualifier sorted
and poor pony re. the wasp. that must have been SO painful :eek:

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
thank you all :)

no shows for 3 weeks for CS now, bit of a mini break again.....but we are going to a SJ clinic!!!!

he has declared it is just tooooooo hot today, has come in, eaten breakfast and gone straight back to sleep bless him!

Halfstep

Visit site
Good report well done! :) Looks lovely and soft in those pictures. How scary about the wasp, you must have been petrified when he was throwing himself around. Poor boy!

:) x

Pasha

Visit site
Blimey, poor Captain being stung by a wasp :(

Fantastic result! Well done! Can't see the pics as per usual (bloomin work blocking everything) but bet he looks gorgeous :)

doctordoolittle

Visit site
The wasp incident sounds awful! Can imagine how horrible it was not knowing why he was reacting the way he was! At least you know that it was due to meany wasp. You did well to get the swelling down.

Glad you had a good day - you both did very well in the heat- i think i would have fainted!

Some really lovely pics there - do we think your mums shakey hand is improving?!

Well done on your area qual - which one will you be going to?

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Well done PS, pooor boy being stung, but sounds like you got it all under controll and mended him asap ;-))

The stressage sounds super, he was a very brave pony considering his ordeal the day before.....and beating some super smart ponies.....well done ;-))

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Pikeur Lugana :)

wasp stung elbow nearly normal today, just a tiny bit of puffyness but he's ok with me touching it now.
sleepy pony has spent all day snoozing apparently bless him!

Fiona

Visit site
Poor lad getting stung (esp at this time of year - normally far worse later on), and so glad he has settled at comps again (I think he has sent his stroppy 'devil' over here to Flo (as she has been excrutiatingly tense in the arena last two outings)).

Well done.

Fiona