Dengie nutritional advice visit

PollyP99

Visit site
We had the Dengie weighbridge today, must say it was really worth while, weighed the liveries and gave good advice, also money off vouchers and freebies, if you get the chance it's well worth it.

My mare is still overweight but I was assured I'm doing the right thing, change of full spec vitamins required but that's all, she needs to lose 30kg but it was great to know her actual weight.

Recommended!

TGM

Visit site
Must agree the Dengie team are great - have used their weighbridge a couple of times at the Pony Club Winter Champs and they are very down to earth, offer sensible advice and don't push their own products too aggressively. This is in contrast to another major feed company who provided a similar service at the Riding Club Horse Trials Champs who gave me misleading information in an effort to persuade me to swap to one of their feed products. She soon found out that she had chosen the wrong person to try and bamboozle!

flaxen

Visit site
Have you had a weigh tape on your horse? If so what was the difference between weigh tape and weigh bridge? Just wondering how inaccurate weigh tapes are, what size type of horse do you have?

PollyP99

Visit site
Have you had a weigh tape on your horse? If so what was the difference between weigh tape and weigh bridge? Just wondering how inaccurate weigh tapes are, what size type of horse do you have?

Hello, I will weigh tape in the morning, good idea! She is 15h section d

JustKickOn

Visit site

A couple of years ago, one of ours went on the Spillers weigh bridge at Trailblazers, he was 40kg heavier on the scales compared to the weight tape.

Saying that though, she poked a "fat pocket", which was actually solid muscle, as confirmed by a vet a few days later.....

PollyP99

Visit site
PollyP99 - can I ask what they suggested for weight loss?

Hello, well she's on a token feed of fast fibre with a handful of hifi lite, they told me that the feeding regime was fine all low calorie, I give her around 6kg of hay, the only thing I can do feed wise is soak her hay which I'm going to do, I did this in summer but had stopped.

I ride 4 times per week, two 2hr hacks, 1 1.5 and she now gets schooled once too, the schooling seems to be working the best since she wasn't working 'properly' until my instructor started working her hard and forward. I'm going to try and add a second schooling session, her belly changes completely when my instructor gets her working from behind, seems to pull it up.

Working this way was suggested when I posted on here about weight and as I didn't feel able to get her using her body better I got a pro in, once she is working better the pro will switch to teaching me.

Last edited: