Depressed horse

seabiscuit

Visit site
So, have had Forrest back a week now, and looks like it was the grass that was giving him colic, judging by his reactions when keeping him on/off grass this week. So at the moment this means that; (sorry to itinerise things like this!)-

1) He can't go out, can only go out with a muzzle on, which he doesnt like- just stands there, so put him in the stable, and he just weaves and windsucks.

2) He is intolerant to cereals, molasses, grass, sugar beet, which means that he cant have either of only two of the cereal free diets on the market. Top Spec cool condition cubes have sugar beet. Allen and Page sugar and cereal intolerance mix has grass in it.

3) so he cant eat anything now except alfalfa, which he didnt like today. he will eat linseed, brewers yeast and seaweed. Wont touch oil.

4) so have a horse that looks like a pathetic little runt that is depressed, run down, that cant be turned out, doesnt want to be ridden as he has started napping, which is pain talking I suspect.

5) he just looks grumpy and depressed ALL THE TIME,his kicking out is lethal, have had a lot of near misses.

WHAT am I going to do with him?! He was so AMAZING 3 weeks ago,& was doing so well, temperment was perfect etc...the one thing that would cheer him up is some good solid food and a nice field of grass, which he cant have
frown.gif
so will get a few back people out next week, a bowen therapist perhaps, some acupuncture, might get the Iridologist out too.will try some top spec balancer and see if he likes that.Its neverending.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I don't suppose he can eat bran can he?
if so a warm bran mix with some sliced carrots in it is usually relished by every horse I've ever met.
Why not make him some horse lolly ices (old post of mine tells you how)
Have you got the radio on all day for him?
He sounds so fed up doesn't he. you could try ringing Julie Dicker, she may be able to help. pm me for her number if necessary.
I know bran is wheat husk but it would be very odd if that upset him..I am assuming he is also on coligone? (sorry can't recall what you said in old post)

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Having a horse that has exactly the same problem I sympathise totally
Is there any way that you can find a BALD paddock - even if you put Own into a squared off bit of paddock to eat it all down before putting Forrest onto it? That way he's at least trying to eat - and psychologically will feel better? (H is on a quarter acre paddock which is completely bald - however she really doesn't mind stopping in her stable though!) (Having said that - she used to kick the door down expecting to go out - but now that she's used to it - she is fine!)

Have you tried spillers high fibre nuts - please do - they are my life line with H - they are less than 10% starch - and just brilliant - I swear that Forrest will eat them up and if he only has them - that'll be fine!!!!
smile.gif

The only way I can get H to eat oil is to pour oil over the nuts - they sort of drench in - I then pour the nuts into a decohedron - which she LOVES - she's so intent on playing that she doesn't realise that the nuts have oil on them!
Try it - it really works
also - have you tried topspec? or perhaps bailey's low-cal? Both would help him -
I feel so sorry for you both
Kate x

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
As you are aware my mare is also sugar/cereal intollerant, but thankfully can tollerate limited grazing if it is very restricted and preferably old rank stuff (anything green gives her the trots!!!). Anyway he could be turned out sand school, yard or completely bald patch with some hay? At least that way he would be able to get some fresh air. How about a stable mirror (my mare has two as very spoilt) they are apparently very effective in stopping stable vices.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thanks HH, I hadnt thought to try the ice lollies- that would be a fab idea- as is a bran mash too!
smile.gif

Julie Dicker is officially not working anymore due to her illness, I tried another animal communicator of whom I am still waiting to hear from but she has a long waiting list
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oh and brill idea for a radio!! D'OH shouldve had one there...

He really doesnt seem to have much lust for life ATM
frown.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Lol, I am flummoxed too! Thank you anyway,he is such an invalid! If he was a human he would be one of those scrawny little boys with spots that just stayed in bed all day with the curtains shut!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you for all help Kate, you always have so many ideas!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
If H is doing so well on the spillers hi-fibre nuts then that surely must work for F too! That would be great if they do work well for him!

OK so I am going to buy some spillers nuts and top spec balancer tomorrow
cool.gif

What do you mean by a decohdren? that you put the nuts and oil into?

As for the paddock- the paddock is bald anyway! It couldnt possibly be more grazed down! he instantly got runny poos again when turned out on that for 30 mins....arrgh...I wish it was my paddock then I could put some sand down for him!
smile.gif

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
This is like H's decohedron - she kicks and whinnies for it bless her (I think because it's full of nuts she thinks it's far more worthwhile than her feed of alfa! LOL!)
Equine%20Decahedrondecahedron.jpg

Go for the nuts - you won't regret it -if it weren't for them - H would refuse to eat completely!!!
frown.gif

Kate x

jj_87

Visit site
Chelsea used to be depressed a homeopathic lady came out to us and gave us some pills to give her and she seamed so much happier within about a week! I think they really did work! Anti- Depressents for horses hehee

Fletch

Visit site
I too have a horse that is feed sensitive and now is on Allen and Page fibre pencils, as they have the least (if no true) cereal in them and A&P sugar cereal intollerance. His feed is bulked out by readygrass and he has soaked hay. I think you will find that once you can get all the things that he is intollerant to out of his system that a limited amount of one or the other will not affect him so much, just if he is subject to all in one go. I also just graze my lad out in hand so I can monitor what he has.

It may all seem black for you both at the moment but once you get a feel for what he can tolerate then it does get easier - believe me!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
How about honey to try and encourage him to eat Seabiscuit? Or maybe that would set him off too? Worth a try as it tastes good and isnt bad for them. Im sure I saw a honey covered brand of alfalfa somewhere, but cant for the life of me remember where.
Failing that have you tried feeding him coal? :)
On another note, did you get the pm about my horse with kissing spines a couple of weeks ago?

seabiscuit

Visit site
Oh dear am afraid that I didnt get your PM about the horse with kissing spines! So sorry! Blasted PM system- someone else sent me PMs too which I didnt get. Do you mind sending again?!

Thanks will try the honey and charcoal- and fab alfa with honey too?! Will have a google!

seabiscuit

Visit site
LOL- seriously though, someone else suggested coal to me as well, I think it is actually an old age remedy!Humans eat it too dont they?!
grin.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Not sure about the actual contents of this but may be worth chatting to them:

http://www.honeychop.com/htm/nutri-fi.htm

The other thing that you could add to his feed are hedgrow herbs

http://shop.dodsonandhorrell.co.uk/index...a3568d4f8d0bbe6

They may make him more interested in his feed.

I would consider making my own fibre diet, so add alfa, chopped straw (chaff), timothey hay/ready grass (can he eat that?), then add herbs, maybe garlic or mint and then top with some honey and veg oil or linseed oil if he prefers. This is basically what they do in the complete fibre diets (like Happy hoof) but you know exactly what he is getting - although it would be a bit fiddley! I would give him lots of friut and veg (all different an interesting ones) and a snackball with Spillers high fibre cubes (love them!)
Good luck.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Just a thought - I can't give H carrots - they are too full of sugar for her - the honey may be too rich for Forrest too - but only trial and error will find that out!
frown.gif

Kate x

seabiscuit

Visit site
Ah thats fab thank you Lucy! These Hedgrow herbs look great- I really like the sound of those! As for making up my own feed for him, that is definately something that I am thinking of doing.
Thank you again for all the links to fab sites!
smile.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
You may well have a point- if I give him any veg or apples he immedently starts windsucking with fury- think that must deffo be a reaction to an uncomfortable stomach. Arr the frustration of these horses!
smile.gif