Desparate sight

EAST KENT

Visit site
Discover Dogs today,two rather dull coated Foxhounds being led strung up on those dog halter thingies,they looked utterly miserable.So differnt to how they SHOULD be in their nataural working environment.Sad:(

Alec Swan

Visit site
One of the private owners of foxhounds outside of registered packs launched a staunch defence when this was brought up before following Crufts. I wonder if they were hers:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=441964&highlight=crufts

Has anyone thought to open a Foxhound Rescue Centre, yet? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd forgotten about that discussion. I've just re-read it. It was a hoot, and working on the basis that you can't put it, where it wont go, I don't know why I waisted my efforts!! :D

Alec.

happyhunter123

Visit site
I agree, it is sad. Foxhounds do not make good pets at all. At least you don't see many of them kept as pets.

It's a worse situation with beagles-beagles in my opinion should be out hunting hares, not sitting around getting fat and miserable in houses like millions of them are. The (ugly) pet beagles now look little like the true (beautiful) hunting beagles. A shame. Always makes me feel sad.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Yes saw pet beagles in London quite obviously never to be allowed to get their noses cdown and run.Those Foxhounds disturbed me by their dull coat condition though,once read in a very old book that hounds fed roperly are their own doctors, Heaven knows what these two were on,definitely NOT flesh though!

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
I see so many dogs round here that are tugged round the block, not allowed to stop and check their pee-mails, spaniels dragged round and yet these people would no doubt brand hunting cruel when our hounds live the most natural doggy life.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Having walked Foxhounds for several years I know just what they can get up to and into!

Until this year I would never have thought about having one as a pet but, one of the bitches I now have I think will adapt to a 'human' life. I will give it a try when she is finished in the pack - after all, what is there to loose other than my sanity and as that is already in doubt ................!!!

I think that Foxhounds are probably the soundest breed around. they do the job they were bred for, only the soundest and the best are bred from and if they are not up to the job then they are culled. You do not see them with hip dysplasia, eye problems or gut problems. Rarely do they ever see a vet and I hope they never become 'pets' because look at the difference between show dogs and those that work for their living, Beagles in particular.

nonstop

Visit site
I think foxhounds (and the coonhounds we have in the US) can be great pets, but it takes a lot of work on the part of the owner. The average person doesn't understand how strong their drive to hunt is, and how much stamina they have. A dog that's bred to run for 4 hours straight, highly intelligent, naturally curious, independent-minded --> that's a recipe for disaster for anyone who's never spent time around them. Sometimes in public with mine, a passerby will stop to talk to us and mention they'd love to have a dog like him. "No, no you wouldn't," I always say. :)

I know teh interwebs is filled with information about foxhounds for anyone thinking about getting one. However, simply reading about the havoc they can wreak is not enough -- it must be experienced firsthand! :D

Like you guys, I hope the general public remains uninterested in the breed. You probably know exactly what I mean when I say that most people just don't understand hounds.