Desperate... Bit help needed!!

BorgRae

Visit site
Argh!!

Ok, so my boy goes best in a straight bar bit (and this has been recommended by dentist and instructor), but he has a really fat tongue, (he needs 13mm max).

Does a thin straight bar bit exist?! If so what's it called and where can I get it?!

Any replies or suggestions very much appreciated!! :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
He probably hasn't read the manual. If you've found the bit he's happy in why change? My pony also shouldn't have been happy with a thick mouthpiece but he was happier than with the "correct" bit for him.

BorgRae

Visit site
Unfortunately, he isn't happy, hence the search.

He went well in a straight bar (happy mouth) accepting the contact but was constantly opening his mouth. We figured it was because the bit was too thick. I asked the dentist and she confirmed he did have a very fat tongue and would need a bit that was 12-14mm max width.

So we changed him to a thinner bit (14mm loose ring with lozenge), which he was more comfortable with, but less accepting of the contact. We seem to think that 14mm is still a tad too thick.

So I figured, best of both worlds, find a straight bar that is thin :D

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
No help but I feel your pain my boy spends a lot of his time with his mouth wide open even in an NS Team Up still pondering what he would like in his mouth other than a carrot and a slice of apple.

*hic*

Visit site
Completely straight or mullen mouth? If the latter consider the "Informed Designs" bits - 11mm mouthpieces.

*hic*

Visit site
Seems to be a bit of variation on the size of the curve (or not):)

Search function on website is a bit naff so here's a google link, first four options (IIRC) have different cheeks:)
clicky clicky

BorgRae

Visit site
Thank you for that JA :)

*gulp at the £70, but if he's happy, I'm happy. I can always do the 30 day trial just in case :eek:

Any other suggestions?

*hic*

Visit site
Thank you for that JA :)

*gulp at the £70, but if he's happy, I'm happy. I can always do the 30 day trial just in case :eek:

Any other suggestions?

Email equestrian clearance and ask how thick the mouthpiece on their £15.99 product is. Or buy very cheap mullen mouth metal pelham from ebay, use without chain and curb rein to see if he's happy to keep his mouth shut with the thinner mouthpiece without shelling out ££££?

or this