desperate for any last ditch ideas- close to the end

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
right. the last 12 months have been hell. some of you may be aware of our situation others not so will keep this as brief as possible. about 11 months ago my horse started losing performance and became intermitantly lame initally looked like the front. he was sound on the lunge and to trot up, this was just under saddle. had several vets visits with no outcome so he had some physio and a new saddle. he was okay for a short period then the intermitant lameness returned.

this time it got progressively worse although still only when ridden. was hard to tell whether it was front or back and didnt really look limb specific, just an odd movement in trot only. had yet more vet visits and both front legs were nerve blocked with no response and both feet blocked too. after not getting anywhere he was sent in to vets for further tests and x rays. both front limbs were x rayed and showed nothing abnormal. by this point he wasnt really rideable. as soon as you asked for trot he'd throw his neck up and do some skipping type thing. i was then sent to another vets for skintigraphy. to my horror this came back virtually clean. no hotspots at all apart from one fetlock which was x rayed again then scanned with no abnormalities. he was then sent back to me to 'get on with it'.

got him home and rode the next day and he was unsound as normal. i then had a lameness expert out who said the problem was actually his back end/pelvis. he was then sent back to have his neck and withers x rayd which came back clean. he was then diagnosed with a sacroillic injury and put on rest. they did say it was unusal for this not to show on the bone scan tho. so he was turned away for the winter (6 months) and that brings us to feb this year.

i had his tack/teeth and back checked and slowly brought him back into work. took it very slowly but evident as soon as i asked him to trot same old same old hopping behind. at my wits end and running out of insurance money i finally got a refferal to a major equine hospital. they had him for 9 days and reported their findings as a horse with chronic back pain who was compensating by a 'hip hike' movement. they were not classing him as actually lame, more of a compensatory gait for pain. worse of all the thought the primary reason for this was an 'inapropriate sadle fit'!!! they x rayed his spine and found one vertabrate that was slightly close but nothing else. they said they could x ray 100 horses and half of them would show worse spine x rays than his and be totally sound. they then nerve blocked his metatarsil (sp?) and found about a 20% improvment in his ridden work. his hock x rays came back okay. they then medicated his spine and metatarsil although they said there was very little to go on with those as so minor. they said if i changed my saddle i should see a vast improvement and he was sent home with bute so i could bring him back into work gently.

so, i got a remedial saddler out who agreed my current saddle wasnt right and lent me a new saddle. i was told to use with a thin cloth however this made no difference. i then used with a thick back pad and saw a huge improvement. whilst not amazingly right, weird hopping had stopped. that was 3 weeks ago. the last few days the hopping has started to creep back in. were only hacking lightly in walk with a tiny bit of trot.

i feel totally devestated. has anyone got any final ideas before i make that difficult decsion? i am totally worn out now. i seem to have a horse that defies the vets. clinically there is very little wrong with him. i just dont know what else to do. i am literlally empty, cant sleep or eat, just had enough. what the f is wrong with him

he's 7 yr old ISH, 15.1, no injuries, enjoying a competitive life up until this time last year.
sorry its so long. i am at my wits end

Last edited:

JoG

Visit site
Is he the sort you would risk riding bareback? It would confirm/eliminate if it is saddle related.....

Sorry if that's no hlp at all :eek:

debsflo

Visit site
omg how frustrating .as you know i have followed your story. is he still in the thicker numnah. i would be inclined to speak to the referral vet that he spent the 9 days with ,give them the recent history and ask for their opinion. it does sound like somethings going on with his back though... i had a different problem and luckily the bone scan showed something although not much.. hang in there i know it must be a nightmare. pm me if you want a bit of support..

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Thank you both. I really have had enough. He has been tried bare back and was just as bad although its not ideal as he only displays this hopping in trot and i'm sure bare back trotting is not that comfortable anyway. He is still in the saddle pad. I suspect its the saddle pad thats made the difference rather than the saddle. Pad is so thick i'm surprised he feels anything. He is still on bute as well so shouldn't be in pain.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Yep he could be retired to the field. I'm not sure sometimes he looks quite right in the field. Not lame but moves funny when relaxing. I already have another horse who is same age and retired to field. He was bought as my horse of a lifetime fulfill all your riding dreams type of horse. I would then have 2 retired horses at 7 year old.

cptrayes

Visit site
I am so sorry you are back to square one. Before you give up (and I would have him put down, not pay for another young retiree), have tests for kidney and liver function been done, both of which cause back pain and a swollen liver in particular can cause odd lameness?

What horrible luck you have had with two young horses. I've just left my husband recovering in Intensive Care and I still feel for you!

Sandstone1

Visit site
would trying a treeless saddle be worth a go? I dont know anything about them but just thought it might be worth a try?

happy_talk

Visit site
firstly- i'm so sorry to hear you still have no answers, i've seen some of your posts. i feel like i've been through a veterinary rollercoaster, and it has been draining- but not on your scale.

has a physio or anyone seen him at any point after treatment? is it possible his muscles are very tight from an older injury? does releasing any tightness return (ie pain still present), or stay improved for a while/until ridden?

Bedlam

Visit site
OK - as a total last ditch idea and as a final not too expensive resort, have you tried going completely off the wall and asking around for a local animal communicator/healer?

I've never used one, but I know of a few highly respected competitive riders who swear by them. I'm sure someone could recommend one?

It's probably all mumbo jumbo, but as a last resort it might be worth a try?

Bubbles

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your problems. Only thing I can think of, which I'm sure you've had checked, is hind suspensories. What a nightmare for you, went through very similar with a 6yo, you have my every sympathy

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Oh sorry cp. Hope husband is okay. Replying from iphone so cant quote. He was tested for wobblers which came back fine. He had blood tests done and something about testing muscle enzymes? He looks amazing. He's been working on the pessoa and developed even muscle and top line. He looks a picture of health. He has been seen by physio, chirop and bowen every 4 weeks for the last 6 months. They dont feel anyting awful. They say he now feel excellent to them. As a last ditch I have a remedial farrier coming out and trying a balance international saddle. The shape of his feet isn't great and my current farrier i'm not that happy with so i'm going to see what a remedial farrier thinks. He's currently without shoes. Also i'll just add he has never ever ever shown any signs of not want to be ridden. Stands like a dream to tack up and mount. Never bucked or said no

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Do you have breeding history to find out if any parents etc have had such problems?? Bit of a long shot but you never know... xx

no, sadly his passport is in celtic i think so i cant make uch out from it. all i know is he was imported as a 4 yr old. his previous owners cant think of anything that could have happened to him and he passed a 5 stage when i bought him 2 years ago.

odd thing is, he's just your average run of the mill irish horse! he's not complicated or odd shape or anything like that. cant believe no one can tell me whats wrong with him

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your problems. Only thing I can think of, which I'm sure you've had checked, is hind suspensories. What a nightmare for you, went through very similar with a 6yo, you have my every sympathy

well nothing showed on the first stage of the bone scan which looks at soft tissue rather than bone. and according to the vets he shows no symptoms of suspensorys. also nothing improved with the 6 months he had off. 2 of which was box rest as they thought he had a SI ligmanent strain

i am trying to add pics of his front feet so you can all see them

Last edited:

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
OK - as a total last ditch idea and as a final not too expensive resort, have you tried going completely off the wall and asking around for a local animal communicator/healer?

I've never used one, but I know of a few highly respected competitive riders who swear by them. I'm sure someone could recommend one?

It's probably all mumbo jumbo, but as a last resort it might be worth a try?

have one coming out!!

not my thing but my friend booked it secreatly behind my back!!!

misst

Visit site
No suggestions I am afraid but just to say I follow your posts and I am very sorry to hear that things are not improving x

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
feet.jpg

hope this works,pic of front feet

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Yep they are quite small. The black one is smaller than the white one. My main problem with my soon to be farrier is he seems to leave them long. This photo is taken just under a week after a trim

Mike007

Visit site
Prior to the onset of the problem,did he have any sort of fall . Also ,have the upper forelimbs been xrayed,They would require a lot of power to get penetration through for good pictures.It seems to be one area (the only area )you have not mentioned as being xrayed.My instinctive suspicion is the sholder ,partly because it can be so b....dy difficult to prove, and also because the problem is in trot.A powering down ,diagonal,movement with most of the effort from the sholders.I could well immagine this could create all sorts of misleading movements which might cast suspicion on the sacroilliac joint.I would wonder about some form of chronic injury to a ligament deep in the sholder which keeps getting agravated(maybe from a fall). These sorts of injuries take a hell of a long time to heal.I wish I could be more helpfull but this is merely my instinctive guess.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Thank you. Yep yep yep he fell down a rabbit hole when ridden just before I remember starting to notice things. His front legs went down it and he went right down on his knees. All the vets know this and have discounted it. His neck has been x rayed but not upper fore limbs. Can shoulders be scanned?

Elsbells

Visit site
How awful for you.

If everything else has been rulled out, what about feet? The old saying of no foot, no horse, is still true and it's often the last thing that is considered. When you turned him away, did you remove his shoes?

Horses that favour a leg will make a different shaped or larger hoof which does seem to have happened to your boy.

Just a thought and I wish you luck.

Mike007

Visit site
Not a vet ,so anything I say must be considered subjective.But as an engineer I would say that you cannot scan deep enough through the sholderblade to where I would be looking for the problem. Went down a rabbit hole,vets have discounted this.LOL,same vets who cant find the problem.The trouble is that modern veterinary medecine assumes that we can test for everything. The Older generation of vets and horsemen had to rely on there senses and experience, looking for clues.Such people had a far better "eye" for a problem than most now.Incidentaly I would look first at that near fore.

AndySpooner

Visit site
Having looked at those feet, I'd consider going down the barefoot route myself. Lots of horses cope well with being shod others don't, and all sorts of strange symptoms show up. I know you say he is shoeless at the moment, but thats not barefoot. A barefoot trim and hoof boots with a bit of time to grow new feet and transision may make all the difference, and you seem to have done so much so far, I cannot imagine the expence, but, I would certainly give it a go. A good trimmer is not that expensive, but it is very different to a farrier's trim.

In any event, best of luck.

Mike007

Visit site
I like Andy,s take on this. Food for thought. Go barefoot and really see where the load is being taken ,and a good farrier (sorry Andy,I include good barefoot trimmers here)may be able to read a great deal more from this than all your scans.