Dressage Destacado/Rohdiamant/Alabaster thoughts?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm the first to admit outside of the big names I am utterly clueless about bloodlines, so please feel free to dumb any comments down to the nth degree for me, I won't be offended :)

We're currently in the process of looking at youngstock, and my trainer has suggested a gorgeous little colt (although admittedly they all look gorgeous at that age!) with the following breeding Destacado x Rohdiamant x alabaster and I was wondering what peoples experiences were with those with similar breeding? From what I've read they sound like they're generally quite trainable albeit a little plain looking, but first-hand experiences are always great to hear.

In case it's relevant, as a bit of background I'm very much an amateur juggling horses around a full time job and would be looking to eventually run this youngster alongside my schoolmaster. In an absolutely ideal world, M will most likely be looking to take a step down around the same time that the youngster will go away to be backed, although I'm very aware that with horses things often don't go to plan and that I could potentially be left with two unrideable horses for a period and am totally prepared for that. At the moment we're schooling at Elementary/Medium but I have dreams of one day getting to PSG (and dare I say beyond...) so there are some pretty lofty goals attached to said youngster, but like I've already said I'm hyper aware that things don't always go to plan and would adjust my aims accordingly if needs be. In terms of our set up, I'm at my trainer's yard and have an amazing support network in place (I honestly wouldn't be considering this if that weren't the case) and when the time comes I'll be sending to a pro for backing as I want to give him the best possible foundations for his ridden career. In the meantime he'd be going out with my trainer's colt so would have company of the same age.

I know there are arguments for not buying a total baby and putting the money to one side until I actually want to crack on with a youngster, but we have a number of reasons for wanting to go down this route, coloured somewhat by our heartbreaking experience with Poppy so hopefully the thread won't get derailed too much by suggestions of buying something older/that's ready to back as we've definitely considered it, but ultimately want something that we know the history of from as close to day one as possible, not to mention it's always been a dream since childhood to try my hand at bringing on a youngster from scratch.

Cookies for those who got to the end of my ramblings...

TheMule

Visit site
I don't know much about those lines except having known a nice Rhodiamant, but just on a general note, if temperament and trainability are your top priorities then I would buy a young horse off what the dam is like/ has achieved.
I have had a couple of out unrideable dams and, quite frankly, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I don't know much about those lines except having known a nice Rhodiamant, but just on a general note, if temperament and trainability are your top priorities then I would buy a young horse off what the dam is like/ has achieved.
I have had a couple of out unrideable dams and, quite frankly, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Thanks so much for this. I'm waiting on some further information and hopefully videos of the dam, as i'd definitely like to know a little more about her.

daffy44

Visit site
Buying any horse is a risk, there are just different risks associated with different ages. As for the bloodlines, the stallion Destacado is only 5yrs old, so you are limited to know that much about him or his offspring, when you choose to use a younger stallion your risk increases as you dont yet know if the stallion himself will have the physical and mental ability to train on through the levels. As you are aiming your youngster at a higher level, this is relevant. You also dont know what traits are being passed on to the stallions offspring, as they are not yet under saddle, so a young stallion is a gamble both ways, this is not to say anything negative about him, just that there are far more unknowns when it comes to younger stallions.
You absolutely want to know more about the dam herself, her conformation, her attitude, and any ridden experience (if she has any) her grading etc. The dam is so important especially when it comes to character, you also want to know what else the dam's family has produced, this will also give you more clues about your youngster, also what are her other foals like, are any under saddle yet etc. Rhodiamant are generally known as rideable, the R line tends to give a good rideabilty, but as with everything, its not a certainty. Alabaster on the bottom line is a sharper stallion, you can see why the breeder of the dam combined the two, however both Rhodiamant and Alabster have produced GP offspring, so nice solid bloodlines to start from, much will then depend on the mare herself.

Northern

Visit site
Alabaster has a reputation for throwing hot, sharp and quirky horses (professionals horses). My dressage friend won't touch anything with him in it, though admittedly he has produced some great horses. The foal you're looking at has him a bit further back, so combined with the R line trainability he might be alright. Haven't heard much about the other two, but I agree with TheMule to look at the dam and what she has done/why not if she hasn't been ridden.

Good luck! How exciting for you :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Thanks all! I should have more info on the dam's lines soon, but from what I can gather she's always been a broodmare and speaking with my trainer it seems that's pretty common in Germany.

I don't mind a little sharpness as long as it's sane and trainable, which hopefully it would be with the R lines, but I guess you don't ever really know what you're getting until it's backed anyway so it's really down to the luck of the draw for the most part.

TheMule

Visit site
Ok, so dam has produced a couple of others that have appeared in sport- - half brother is at PSG level-
That's an encouraging sign, along with the dam and granddam being head studbook. It's not a really strong damiline but it is proven enough to be of interest

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
That's really good to know TheMule. When you say it's not a really strong damline, is there anything that stands out as a red flag or do you just mean it's just not a particularly proven damline?

daffy44

Visit site
Its perfectly normal for a mare to just be a broodmare, but she should have been graded/licensed first.

I have an Alabaster mare, she is an incredible mare, I wouldnt call her that hot, she is sharp ish, but not excessively so, but she is very sensitive, but I have trained her from just sat on to grand prix, and I appreciate her sensitivity, its what you need for that level. But she is very easy in may ways, and I would love another one, and I am planning to try and take an ET foal from her next year.

Northern

Visit site
So here is his breeding...

View attachment 26402

I actually don't mind this pedigree, Alabaster is in the right spot ;) Londonderry, De Niro and Rubenstein are all very popular dressage names, they crop up again and again. Let us know what you decide! :)

ETA: I just found a photo of him, not the best angle but he looks lovely and balanced, super neck! And a redhead as well ;)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I just found a photo of him, not the best angle but he looks lovely and balanced, super neck! And a redhead as well ;)

Haha busted! And there I was thinking I was being discreet 😉 He definitely takes after his daddy in the looks department! I'm just waiting on a German friend to get back to me with vet recommendations, but I think it's likely he'll be coming home in the not too distant future!

Charla

Visit site
I have a 4 year old who is Rohdiamant and Londonderry lines. She is trainable, but she does have an opinion. Could be a mare thing! She’s pretty brave, non spooky, nor sharp. You just cannot rush her with training or she will argue back.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have a 4 year old who is Rohdiamant and Londonderry lines. She is trainable, but she does have an opinion. Could be a mare thing! She’s pretty brave, non spooky, nor sharp. You just cannot rush her with training or she will argue back.

Thanks Charla, she sounds like the kinda type I'm looking for so hopefully he'll be fairly similar :)