Dettol?!?

Becky101

Visit site
My friend today asked me to spray the front of her horses stable if i see her crib biting when im at the yard. When i asked what was in the spray bottle, she said it was dettol? is this really something you want your horse to be getting round its mouth? didnt strike me as the best idea but i maybe wrong and just being dense. do you think this is safe enough/a good idea?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I use mustard and someone else told me that lavendar furniture polish is particularly repulsive to crib biters.
Don't know about dettol... the smell would certainly put ME off! I wouldn't want any in or on my mouth though. Perhaps that's the whole point!

emma69

Visit site
I don't have a bottle to hand (would love some tho, don't think I can get it here) but having been made it swill it around my mouth (or near my mouth - I was little) I can confirm it takes utterly disgusting, and I lived to tell the tale. The trouble is, stopping a horse from crib biting is torture for the poor things, they do it to relieve pain - it would be a better idea in the long run to treat the problem, not the symptom

meandmyself

Visit site
I agree with Emma69. Far, far better to get to the root of the problem. Lots of horses that crib have ulcers which can be treated.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
The trouble is, stopping a horse from crib biting is torture for the poor things, they do it to relieve pain - it would be a better idea in the long run to treat the problem, not the symptom

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from more turnout/lots and lots of hay and so on, do you think something like limestone flour (chalk, so basically like Rennies) might help reduce acidity? Or any other supplements one might be able to get at the supermarket?

emma69

Visit site
I really don't know, in theory, yes, it probably should neutralize the acid- I think rennies etc are calcium carbonate. I know someone whose horse with colic responded well to Pepto Bismol. I'm not sure if any are recommended for horses tho, would hate to advise incorrectly. Racingdemon knows a bit about crib biting / windsucking I believe

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
I think rennies etc are calcium carbonate.

[/ QUOTE ]

*whispers* is that not chalk? I'm rubbish at sciency stuff so please excuse me if I start spouting rubbish
blush.gif
blush.gif
I'm probably repeating something I've been told, but getting it wrong
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The trouble is, stopping a horse from crib biting is torture for the poor things, they do it to relieve pain - it would be a better idea in the long run to treat the problem, not the symptom

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from more turnout/lots and lots of hay and so on, do you think something like limestone flour (chalk, so basically like Rennies) might help reduce acidity? Or any other supplements one might be able to get at the supermarket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey PF!

You can actually buy stuff called gastrogaurd, which is an antacid for horses.

Nailed

Visit site
dettol and white vinegar is used as a fly repelent so i wouldnt worry. W used to spray jayz fluid on it. They taste it once and wont do it again lol.
Lou x
Treating it.. I have been converted by super kat to coligon.. so read up on coligon it may work.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a bottle to hand (would love some tho, don't think I can get it here) but having been made it swill it around my mouth (or near my mouth - I was little) I can confirm it takes utterly disgusting, and I lived to tell the tale.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! you are kidding? Dettol is stuff to use for cleaning surfaces! Crikes, if I did that to my kids I'd be hauled by social services
shocked.gif

burrows

Visit site
PapaFrita - I dont know if you are interested but Kentucky Performance do a product that helps with Gastric Ulcers and they have what they call a team member in Brazil ie an outlet. You maybe able to ship it from there to Argentina??, I have put the links below for the team member and the product

http://www.ker.com/tmbr/equimix/

http://www.kppusa.com/neighlox_when.htm

Hope it helps?

druid

Visit site
Bob is currently having Gaviscon on vet advice for Widnsucking until I can get Coligone, works a treat and comes in handy mint flavoured and polo sized tablets he'll eat like sweeties!!