Dettori to continue career in the USA and not retire

olop

Visit site
He was never going to retire, going by all his interviews he’s done. There is a lot more money in American racing obviously seeing the ££££ signs! (Or dollars lol).

reynold

Visit site

Sorry it's behind a paywall.

However it confirms that he's won £4.5 million in prize money this year from 117 rides - so I doubt he's bankrupt atm.

It also says he's likely been inspired to continue by a US jockey called Mike Smith who is still riding winners at 58 and has the nickname 'Big Money'.

I don't follow US racing at all so maybe someone else knows more about Mike Smith?

Visit site
The 4.5 million is prize money is what the horses have won. He gets 10% of that, some of his % goes to his valet, some to his agent. So he probably walks away with about 380k of that in total before tax etc.

I'm really not surprised he isn't retiring. He had no intention of it he just wanted a book of good rides this year.

toppedoff

Visit site
Tbf I'm not surprised either 🙈 he also has an appearance fee too? I think I recall a racecourse not wanting to pay it or something

humblepie

Visit site
Prefer the AP approach. Just announce it on the day although on the other hand can see it is good for fans to have a chance to go see him ride if they wish to before he retires. We were at Newbury when AP retired and totally missed it. Sort of heard the post race interview as we were leaving but didn’t really catch what he was saying.

bonny

Visit site
Prefer the AP approach. Just announce it on the day although on the other hand can see it is good for fans to have a chance to go see him ride if they wish to before he retires. We were at Newbury when AP retired and totally missed it. Sort of heard the post race interview as we were leaving but didn’t really catch what he was saying.
He didn’t retire at Newbury, he announced he would stop at the end of the season which is what he did

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
The fawning over him is sickening, I admire him as a jockey but the ITV love in over him is nauseating - note when they were introducing the jockeys the crowd didn't react to any of the others yet whooped over him

He was always going to continue after the season went so well for him, wonder if he will regret it, this would be some high to go out on

I'd put very good money on him riding in at least one British G1 next season

Visit site
I'm glad I watched the races today and saw that.

Frankie is widely recognised beyond the racing world, which can only be good for racing. Like Lester Piggott he is famous beyond the racecourse.

Just how many other jockeys could members of the public name?

Probably McCoy, possibly Walsh. Maybe Oishin Murphy and Keiran Fallon for the drugs offenses. But beyond that probably none.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Probably McCoy, possibly Walsh. Maybe Oishin Murphy and Keiran Fallon for the drugs offenses. But beyond that probably none.
And the reason why people with little or no interest in reaching remember Lester Piggott will be because of the tax evasion and his voice on spitting image.

Smitty

Visit site
I don't follow flat at all but he is the only flat jockey I could name, primarily because years ago a crowd of us went to the Arc and he won a race on Lochsong which my BIL, who is a fairly shrewd gambler, had put so much money on her it paid for his and sister's trip.

I missed the interview, but I suppose it would have been one of his first big winners as according to BIL, he was profusely thanking the trainer and owner for the ride 😄.

reynold

Visit site
I don't mind the ITV 'fawning' over Dettori. I find their fawning over Aidan awful. Just how many times does ITV have to show Aidan and co walking the course??
Man walks course, big deal!

Dettori nearly rode a treble yesterday. A marvellous win in a Gr 1 to finish. It's a shame with that 'ending' that he isn't now hanging up his boots. I also think he'll be back next year at least for Royal Ascot. I just hope he goes out, when he does, on a high and not just run out riding no-hopers.

I thought John Gosden talking about Frankie after Trawlerman won the first was a good summation.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
The 4.5 million is prize money is what the horses have won. He gets 10% of that, some of his % goes to his valet, some to his agent. So he probably walks away with about 380k of that in total before tax etc.

I'm really not surprised he isn't retiring. He had no intention of it he just wanted a book of good rides this year.
We went to view a horse on his yard at the beginning of the summer. The staff told us he was going to the states to ride and his house was being put up for rent. Not surprised he didin't retire