Devastated - Wobblers - UPDATE

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
Hi All,

Many thanks for all of your replies to my previous thread.

The vet came and X-rayed my filly this afternoon. Luckily they show no definite sign of pressure on the spinal cord, no deformations, pressure visible and the collumn appears to be wide rather then indented anywhere. :confused:

He is still convinced that she has wobblers, either through trauma or through development. He has given her steriods and has said that he would hope to see some improvement by Friday and if not I should be looking to make a decision about her future.

She had bloods taken on Monday which he didn't know the results off, my YO asked him what the had said straight away and he hadn't had the results. :(
However he did call and get them. Her red blood cell count is low, white blood cell count is normal. She still has a very snotty nose and a cough although her chest sounds clear. So she also had a an antibiotic injection & an iron injection plus some more bloods taken. She doesn't have a temperature.

I have asked him to test her for EHV which he is going to do however he felt it was very unlikely.

She has improved in herself mentally she is so much brighter and aware however it is just her coordination that is so poor.

When I put her and mum back in the field she trotted off after mum beautifully but then stumbled.

I feel the vet has decided it is wobblers and therefore does not want to explore further options.

I should point out that 10 days prior to the first signs of this showing she was on box rest for 3 months due to her stifles filling with fluid. Her stifles have now re filled unfortunately. Therefore the vet feels that the stifles as well as the wobblers will limit her future.

Not sure what the point of my post is - advice, similar experiences.

Thank you.
Also in breeding.

Jazzy B

Visit site
this is very sad, hugs to you :( are you sure it wouldn't be worth getting a second opinion from another vet? I know I trust my vet completely but from what you have said your vet seems a little unwilling to explore other options which I think a mare this age I would want him to!

ghostie

Visit site
Gosh I'm really sorry :( I think I would get a second vet in too - it sounds like your vet isn't prepared to have an open mind, and for me to consider whether the kindest thing is to PTS I would need to know that the vet had considered everything, no matter how unlikely. Hugs to you, and fingers crossed for a good outcome x

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
Thank you both.

I have already decided I will get a 2nd opinion before I make any drastic decisions even if it is just for my piece of mind. I have sort of convinced myself unless I have it on paper this is the problem and why I won't give up on her - providing she is happy in herself. If she seems to be suffering at all I will obviously re consider but as she is perkier I want to keep searching.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have already decided I will get a 2nd opinion before I make any drastic decisions even if it is just for my piece of mind.

I agree that this is the right thing to do. I really hope that it isn't wobblers.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I don't mean to put pressure on you, but PLEASE get a second opinion. If your filly has no discernible stenosis (narrowing) in the spinal column, it's difficult to call her condition wobblers. The correct name for wobblers is Cervical (of the cervical spine) Vertebral (of the vertebrae) Stenotic (narrowing) Myelopathy (of the spinal cord) or CVSM. The immune response of your baby could be playing a very significant role in her condition. The fluid-filled stifles are, obviously, not normal. What is she being fed? Where are you located? I must go out right now, but I will check back here in an hour or so.

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
I don't mean to put pressure on you, but PLEASE get a second opinion. If your filly has no discernible stenosis (narrowing) in the spinal column, it's difficult to call her condition wobblers. The correct name for wobblers is Cervical (of the cervical spine) Vertebral (of the vertebrae) Stenotic (narrowing) Myelopathy (of the spinal cord) or CVSM. The immune response of your baby could be playing a very significant role in her condition. The fluid-filled stifles are, obviously, not normal. What is she being fed? Where are you located? I must go out right now, but I will check back here in an hour or so.

Thanks for your reply Rutland. I do want a 2nd opinion as otherwise I will always think what if.
Her immune system is low and I am hoping it is some sort of infection that has not been tested for perhaps.
She is still on mum and is just fed on chaff with surelimb - which is what she was fed whilst on box rest and they improved. I am based in Bedfordshire.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Another who would stress a 2nd opinion - foals can change SO much - even when they look absolutely hopeless! The effusion around the stifles is probably a warning of OCD - often box rest and slowing growth right down (as you have done ) can sort this so that surgery doesn't become necessary. But she's too young to even consider surgery for THAT!

I have seen several youngsters initially diagnosed with Wobblers who turned out ok - and another (who had actually suffered poisoning by a rather nasty weed that present in the UK) that didn't. As long as she is getting around ok and not 'suffering' I'd be inclined to give her at LEAST 3 months and see how she does. Obviously if she deteriorates you will have a hard decision to make.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with everyone else, second opinion. There's too many other things going on and the diagnostics are not pointing to wobblers.

When my now 6 YO mare was 2 1/2 months of age I found her in the stable one morning spinning in circles, blind, and flipping over. Feeling sick doesn't begin to cover what I felt. Those who know me know how much Abba means to me. At any rate vet said head or neck injury but transporting her at that stage to find out which it was would be too stressful and treatment would be exactly the same. She pulled through with no issues. But I've always thought maybe it would rear it's ugly head. Put it this way I'm not allowed to get nuero exams on her anymore. When she shows signs of an abcess I think OMG she's got wobblers. In any other horse I see it for what it is. So anyway maybe it's not too bad and that youth being on her side will help.

Terri

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
Another who would stress a 2nd opinion - foals can change SO much - even when they look absolutely hopeless! The effusion around the stifles is probably a warning of OCD - often box rest and slowing growth right down (as you have done ) can sort this so that surgery doesn't become necessary. But she's too young to even consider surgery for THAT!

I have seen several youngsters initially diagnosed with Wobblers who turned out ok - and another (who had actually suffered poisoning by a rather nasty weed that present in the UK) that didn't. As long as she is getting around ok and not 'suffering' I'd be inclined to give her at LEAST 3 months and see how she does. Obviously if she deteriorates you will have a hard decision to make.

Thank you JanetGeorge. She had her stifles x-rayed and they showed no signs of OCD so they put it down to a growth spurt which I think she has had again recently.

I intend to get a 2nd opinion and as long as her quality of life is ok will give her a chance to improve. I adore this filly but don't want her to suffer.

She is having her first season at the moment too so must be all over the place.

ladyt25

Visit site
It doesn't sound like wobblers when they can't see any compression - seems odd the vet was adamant it's wobblers and isn't trying anything else. She sounds like she's not very well over all to be honest so could there not be some underlying virus? Wasn't there someone on here a few months back whose horse became very weak and wobblyand it didn't look good at all - vets couldn't really find any diagnosis but, as far as I am aware the horse was fine although it was quite poorly for a while. Hmm, can't remember whose post it was now.

Anyway, I would want a definite diagnosis if I was in your position and i am sure you do too, i would not be happy with the vets thoughts so far with no conclusive evidence. I am no expert in youngsters but i would out the stifle swelling down to growth as well - possibly mixed with hormones, who knows but I wouldn't personally see this as a huge issue unless this is seriously affecting her as well.

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
Ladyt25 I want to be 100% sure nothing can be done for her and if time is what she needs will for it to her as long as she won't suffer.

I think the issue is with the X-rays you cant see the spinal cord as clearly as other scans so can't see if it is enlarged etc. which after reading up could be enlarged due to infection etc. I really don't know my brain is frazzled!!

CBFan

Visit site
Ultimate Dreamer... who is your vet?

I am only in Herts and I can highly recomend a vet for you if you want a second opinion... he was fantastic with my filly and all her growth problems - physitis and OCD.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry, I have absolutely no experience of wobblers, so can't help you there. BUT, I do have experience of more than one 'equine' vet making a fatal mistake, so I urge you to get a 2nd opinion,no matter how good the reputation of your vet.

I do hope you get to the bottom of it and it proves to be something which your foal can overcome.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
How old is your foal,because if she's still on her mum,she's to young to come into season,but in Wobblers I've read some where that they are getting better results.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Must admit that is a bit young to come into season,as mine didn't till they were 18 months and they had been weaned at 6-7 months,does sound like someone said that she's all over the place, sounds like hormonewise as well. (((((hugs))))

Odd Socks

Visit site
I was also going to ask who your vet is. I am in beds too and have had a bad experience with a reputable vet here. Could definitely recommend you a good one though. Pm me of you're interested!

Sults

Visit site
UD - to be able to see the spinal cord clearly you need to have a myelogram (where they inject dye which then shows up on the xray). This is the only way of knowing 100% if there is compression.

Did your vet do any of the inhand tests?

Is your foal insured?

I am glad that are intending on getting a second opinion.

When i went through all this i spoke to many many vets as well as my own (rossdales & animal health trust) just to get as much info & knowledge & advice as possible. They were all extremely helpful and gave me alot of info.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Could she have vertigo due to an inner ear infection? I would possibly ask for her to be put on a course of antibiotics. Certainly can't harm.

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
UD - to be able to see the spinal cord clearly you need to have a myelogram (where they inject dye which then shows up on the xray). This is the only way of knowing 100% if there is compression.

Did your vet do any of the inhand tests?

Is your foal insured?

I am glad that are intending on getting a second opinion.

When i went through all this i spoke to many many vets as well as my own (rossdales & animal health trust) just to get as much info & knowledge & advice as possible. They were all extremely helpful and gave me alot of info.

Many thanks Sults.

The vet mentioned yesterday regarding the myelogram - if this is something that she can have then I will ask for her to have it.

He did do inhand test yes. They did prove difficult for her.

Yes she is insured through NFU.

If she remains the same tomorrow or there is some improvement I will ask for a 2nd opinion I need to do that for my own piece of mind. If I phoned Rossdale etc would they speak to me? Or would I need to be referred there?

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
Could she have vertigo due to an inner ear infection? I would possibly ask for her to be put on a course of antibiotics. Certainly can't harm.

Thanks Wagtail - she was put on antibiotics yesterday. The vet felt it couldn't be an ear infection as it is level both sides but I want to be certain that it isn't an infection of some description.

L&M

Visit site
Be careful if you do have to pts in terms of insurance.

I had a mare sadly pts with wobblers and KBIS refused to pay out fully as said that as it wasn't pain related, despite the vets recommendation that she was a danger to herself and anyone handling her. They only paid out vets bills and euthanasia costs.

In hindsight I am sure I could have fought my corner, but was too distraught at the time to deal with it.

Hopefully you won't need to cross this bridge, but just in case.....

Thoughts with you x

Ultimate Dreamer

Visit site
Be careful if you do have to pts in terms of insurance.

I had a mare sadly pts with wobblers and KBIS refused to pay out fully as said that as it wasn't pain related, despite the vets recommendation that she was a danger to herself and anyone handling her. They only paid out vets bills and euthanasia costs.

In hindsight I am sure I could have fought my corner, but was too distraught at the time to deal with it.

Hopefully you won't need to cross this bridge, but just in case.....

Thoughts with you x

Thank you Sidney I appreciate your advice. Very sorry for the lose of your mare.