Devilla Forest

RhossT

Visit site
Can you still take horses in there and do you need a permit? Also, what is parking like?

Beyond current 5 mile limit but planning ahead when we are allowed to go further afield.

TPO

Visit site
As far as I'm aware you can still take horses there and no permit needed.

The parking gets full really quickly (pre covid anyway) so it can be tricky with horse transport when you need space for ramps etc

I've not been around it in a couple of years but they've put Type 1 down on lots of the paths. I know of a few shod horses who've suffered bad stone bruises and lameness as a result.

If you havent been in a while and its not too far maybe best to check your routes on foot/bike first.

Not sure what area you are in but Plean Country park isnt far from devilla. It has a parking area for horse boxes only and the paths are more horse friendly.

RhossT

Visit site
Thanks for info on Devilla.
Plean isn't far from us but was shut last time we checked. Also, paths aren't great for carriages apparently.

TPO

Visit site
I dont know olean that well and have only walked it. The tracks we were on were really narrow but I dont know if there are wider tracks.

There are gates at devilla at the main carpark and at the other access points. I dont know how you would get a carriage into the forest/past the gates. It might be worth calling the forestry commission to ask.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Plean wouldn’t be carriage friendly and Devilla has gates which I’m not sure would be negotiated by a carriage. There is a long ex railway track running from Alloa through to Dunfermline I believe...but I can’t quite recall how broad the access is...there is an old closed road at the Clackmannan side of Alloa which could be parked on. I ll have look sometime this week and report back.