Devoucoux saddles

Rosiefan

Visit site
Being a teenager, Rosie doesn't just want one of these, she actually 'needs' one for XC in particular (duck - flying pigs;))
Seriously though - has anyone got one and if so, are they really that good?

ColouredFan

Visit site
My best Mate had hers delivered on friday last week, she loves it, personally I couldnt justify the money, but the leather is very good quality, I have been offered a ride in it but I declined just incase I fall hopelesly in love!

tendon_boot

Visit site
my OH bought one for himself at christmas time last year, it looks beautiful, feels beautiful and is lovely to ride in, but if i ride same horse in my wow horse moves more free and is less tense. x

Baydale

Visit site
Ask TableDancer, she's got one for her Pingy Pony. I'm a Butet girl myself....they are luuuuurvely.
smile.gif

Visit site
They are the best saddles around, I have had Devoucoux saddles for 11 years - I use the SOCAO model. I have 4 horses and jump internationally. These saddles give you support through the knee - in front and behind. They are so soft that when you sit up in front of a fence, the weight transmission is superb, the horse comes back to you and you can really wrap your legs around the horse. They are expensive but worth every penny and they keep their value in addition to looking good. I have never had these saddles cause any back problems. I also use their jumping girths and boots. I use CWD for the breast plate with a martingale attachment. I change my stirrup leathers every 6 months due to the pressure they are under. Kate Negus do the best bridles.

Both William and Pippa Funnell use Devoucoux because they are that good. If you buy anything else you will be wasting your money, these saddles are really worth it.

lydia2

Visit site
I always was in a ideal gp and my mother did not believe in jumping saddles. When I upgraded to my current horse, I literally was swishing about the saddle (very short person on an averagely wide horse with a serious ping). I got a devoucoux jumping saddle and literally my riding has improved so much, I am so much for secure, my horse loves it and I will not be seperated from it. Master saddlers come out and say the typical does fit etc, but horse has never been sore in it and jumps better than ever. The best saddle we have ever bought and with foam inside you don't have to have the every 6 months saddle stuffing.

seche

Visit site
Lovely saddles - very very close contact - too close for everyday riding IMHO which is why I have a fusion - same factory no middle men so half the price.... and not as close contact so perfect for hunting/hacking as well! Genius.

buzzles

Visit site
I have a devoucoux jumping saddle, got it about 3 years ago and I love it. It was fitted for my horse but I use it on a variety of horses and it fits them all fine, ok the odd one might need a back/front riser but never had a problem of them causing pain or soreness. My horse goes really well in it and it's so comfortable and secure, agree with j1234 it gives you a really good feel of the horse and what's going on under you. I wouldn't use any other saddle, they are expensive but you get what you pay for and they do hold their value, I could probably sell mine now for close to what I bought it for.

daydreamer

Visit site
I just read this thread out of curiosity. Could someone please explain what they mean by them being close contact - close contact between saddle and horse or between rider and horse?? And why would that be a problem for every day riding?

thanks,

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Lovely saddles best I have sat in however they can be badly fitted by reps and don't fit all different horses. I got a made to measure for my mare and it made her back very sore so moved onto Butet and found they fit better and the service is second to none.

seche

Visit site
Im not keen on sitting virtually on my horses spine for hours on end, Im not sure he would be too happy about it either, that said I dont know many horses that have problems with racing saddles so perhaps my theory is unfounded.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
It depends on the horse. They tend to suit narrow horses best. They do not have very wide panels so can cause problems for the horses back. The reason they sell so many is that they are the perfect riders saddle. Anyone can ride well in them. They are just often not as great for the horse and when you consider how much they are that should not be the case. The two saddles I hear the most problems about are Albion and Devoucoux.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I have one and love it..
grin.gif

Re the cost, i was 'lucky' enough to have a rather nasty car crash, the pay-out from it bought me my saddle
grin.gif

Ernie doesn't think he has any problems with it either, although i haven't really asked him..
If he did have a problem with it tho, my second choice would be a Butet!!!

ddd

Visit site
I have one on my dressage horse, he is squarely built, fairly wide and working at Grand Prix, I love it, comfy for me and him never had a problem with his back and I do sitting trot all the time, I also hack him in it as it is so comfy and he moves very freely in it. had it made to measure and took 6 weeks to come.

kit279

Visit site
I prefer the Butets myself for cross country but always enjoy riding in my friends Devoucoux dressage! Agree that they tend to fit narrower horses better though. Butet has a better fitting service as well.

Rosiefan

Visit site
Thank you very much everyone - mixed opinions but very useful. I shall copy and paste this into an email and send it to Rosie as she never has time to come on here these days (doesn't know what she's missing
tongue.gif
)

seabiscuit

Visit site
Be very very very carefull, they can absolutely cripple the horse if the fit is not totally 200% perfect. Am sure that this is why some of the riders who use them on every horse have had a lot of horses with a high injury rate.Do not use the devoucoux fitters, get another fitter out.

BUT if the fit is right ( they do not suit every horse) a fabolous saddle. Makes you feel like mark Todd when you ride!!

trundle

Visit site
i watched a training session where a new Devoucoux fitter was being trained, and it was absolutely fascinating 9albeit testing my dodgy French to the limit). It was however made absolutely clear that they only fit certain builds of horse and anything too solid simply will not fit. They are stunning-looking saddles and very very comfortable to ride in. If i was rich (and my horse was the right shape) i would ahve one.

coedcae

Visit site
I bought one last year and I absolutely love it. It was made for one of my horses but it also fits perfectly my youngster. They take the same size saddle normally anyway. I dont use mine for everyday riding, as its a bit like riding in a racing saddle, as someone said above.
Never had a problem with a sore back but then I'm only using it for SJ and XC, so short periods of time. And my horses move perfectly freely in it.
I bought mine through our business and directly from France, so didnt need to pay VAT, and it worked out cheaper than buying a 2nd hand one
shocked.gif
But I was told by the rep that they were stopping this and that the saddles were going to be sold from the UK.

lucretia

Visit site
i would agree with katb. and if you look at the pros who ride in them most of whom have several specially fitted you will notice the amount of pads and risers in evidence. alot of money if this is going to be her only saddle but they are beautiful quality in make but personally i dislike close contact saddles in general on the evidence of the amount of problems i have experienced with horses i have looked after compared to those using more traditional makes.
and before i get shot down in flames bearin mind how many different horses i ride teach judge and groom at various places!
wink.gif

TableDancer

Visit site
Late to this debate - you've probably all moved on by now
tongue.gif
Baydale is right, I have just got one for PP - I would have described myself as a Butet girl too, have ridden in them for years but my best CC Butet was a) getting rather old ie 10 years and seat going
shocked.gif
, and and b) apparently "crippling" PP (quoting back lady) so something had to be done. Chose D because was slightly concerned at the rather casual attitude to fitting I have experienced at Butet (admittedly a long time ago, but it was A herself and she was a bit "well its amazing I know but they fit everything"... Well they have gone ok on everything I've had through the yard over the years but not PP!) and D are available in a wider range of fittings than B. Was a bit nervous about the fitting process and well aware of what people on here have said about it - all I can say is so far so good (only 3 weeks old), and PP def feels freer in his movement than previously.

cazza

community.webshots.com
Ouija_Board, be careful about saying that about the fitters (not having a go at you personally). The problem is they are too set on getting the sale rather than if the saddle is really right for you and or your horse.

Some people love the saddle but the tree may not be the correct shape for the horse and no will in the world will make it fit. I used to work for Devoucoux and other than minor alterations when a horse may have changed shape I did not get lots of people coming back with issues. But then again I would not sell a saddle to someone just because they wanted to buy it. If the tree was not the right shape for the horse I would tell them and advise them towards a different make.

Answering a previous statement above the saddles are not narrow through the gullett again this is down to the fitter, they should send the measurements to france to make sure the gullet is set to the correct width for the horse.