Diabetes q...now Cushings q!

Nudibranch

Visit site
So it looks likely that rather than diabetes, our 11 yo dachshund has Cushings. Unfortunately I have more experience of this than I'd like with horses, but none with dogs although from what I've been reading it's relatively different.
The vet wants to do the standard diagnostic tests and then medicate, which appears to involve a lot more testing and retesting and given my dog is fairly needle phobic I'm not mad keen. She also said not medicating is an option if we can manage him. He is still fit and well and the only signs have been excessive drinking and urinating. Coat is still healthy, he's eating well and happy to go for his walks.
Has anyone not medicated? I keep reading very conflicting information. I realise he would be at more risk of skin infections etc but my gut feeling is to try and manage him as we are because it's a lot to put him through with fair risk, when actually he's pretty well bar the drinking and weeing.....thoughts???

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have no experience of cushings in dogs but as he is 11 i would be feeling the same as you and would rather not put the dog through lots of tests unless ,after the testing he would be guaranteed a good quality of life on the medication. if your vet is happy for you to try and manage the condition why not try that and see how you get on, i assume you have nothing to lose by delaying any treatment for a little while. good luck

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I'd be thinking along the same lines as you, tbh. Even my fabulously laid back Draft mare who hardly noticed annual vaccs got sick of blood tests for Cushings, so a needle phobic dog is almost bound to be distressed by it all.

Aru

Visit site
Hows his weight?
If its a slim dog and otherwise in good health at home theres no immediate rush into treatment beyond checking if its adrenal or pituitary(one has a much better longterm prognosis so its good to make sure your dealing with the more common one,pituitary first..an ultrasound should diagnose relatively easily) then wait and see what symptoms develop and step in with med management later if required.

However if the dog is overweight it becomes massively important to get the weight down asap as one of the issues with the excessive steriod production... is its negative affect on the ligaments.the overweight dogs with cushings tend to damage their cruciates and other ligaments at a much higher rate and take longer then average to heal because of the condition.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Hmm well bizarrely the symptoms have subsided - coinciding with me stopping his new joint tablets. I couldn't believe there was a link but it did start just after he began taking them...so I stopped and hey presto the thirst and weeing have gone back to normal.

Anyone ever heard of such a side effect? They were just Joint Force, bought from Viovet and didn't come with any such warnings!

Incidentally although 11 he is a good healthy weight and active. I don't do fat dogs....

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
not the same but i put my collie cross on yumove tablets and she was in the lower part of the larger dogs and the dosage was 2 tablets daily. i started her on this dose and she became constipated(never had been before) dropped her tablets down and she was fine increased again and same problem so she is on the lower dose permanently and i am pretty sure they have helped her joints, she is 12

Clodagh

Visit site
Hmm well bizarrely the symptoms have subsided - coinciding with me stopping his new joint tablets. I couldn't believe there was a link but it did start just after he began taking them...so I stopped and hey presto the thirst and weeing have gone back to normal.

Anyone ever heard of such a side effect? They were just Joint Force, bought from Viovet and didn't come with any such warnings!

Incidentally although 11 he is a good healthy weight and active. I don't do fat dogs....

Fascinating, and well done for thinking of it.