Diagonals

GinaB

Visit site
Is there a sure fire way to ensure I'm rising on the correct diagonal? I always find myself having to look down and check all the time which naturally upsets the balance between me and the horse :S

Tempi

Visit site
just glance down - eventually you will be able to feel whether you are on the correct diagonal or not. Dont move your head when you look down, just move your eyes

sorona

Visit site
Have somebody watch you from the ground and you make the decision whether you are on the right diagonal or not and then ask the 'watcher' whether you are right then you should get a feel for it without looking.

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Being a bit thick here, but can someone tell me if this is correct - I rise when the outside shoulder/leg moves forward? I've never been able to get my head round it and have had different people tell me different things!

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Thanks Gina - I'm still novicey when it comes to proper riding! Spent my youth bombing around on ponies not worrying about diagonals etc, its all so technical now!!

GinaB

Visit site
Yeah I'm only back riding this May after a 6 year break! I know what diagonal I should be on but I can never get it right first time
frown.gif

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Know what you mean, bought my neddy in May after a 15 year break! Had a few lessons thinking I could just pick up where I left off - How wrong was I!!

Got a good instructor and have lessons on him every week which is really helping with my confidence, but certain things I cant get my head around. I'm struggling with leg yielding at the mo!

Are you having lessons?

teapot

Visit site
heck after 7yrs riding I still get them wrong.

It's called doing a Vicky at the yard LOL - and I get shouted at for it too