diarrhoea

rforsyth1984

Visit site
horse has had the runs for 3 days now. no obvious reason, no change in routine, diet or anything. He is happy and healthy in himself, eating and drinking fine and not dehydrated. What would you reccommend?

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Sounds gross I no, but have you checked his poo for worms?

I know you say he's in good condition, so it probably isnt worms. I really wounldnt worry too much though, my horse has the runs most of the time, and he's fine. Not great to muck out though, coz it goes everywhere!!!

Halfstep

Visit site
Mine had mild runs a while ago; he was otherwise healthy and perfect condition-wise. I don't know what caused the runs, but I put him on NAF pink powder and it cleared up very quickly.
If the diarrhea continues for more than three of four days or if it is quite bad (scouring regularly) I'd get the vet to run some tests.

catembi

Visit site
My horse started exactly the same but the diarrhoea didn't go & it turns out he's got enteritis which is now being treated via Newmarket, so it may be best to get some tests done if it doesn't settle shortly...

Llwyncwn

Visit site
My rescue mare has had this for a week now. No change in diet etc. only moved stable. Foal is still on her. Vet came today, did usual checks, all ok apart from excessive gut activity. Have started her on arrowroot powder today (from health food shop). Vet coming Thursday to take dung sample for tests.

parsley

Visit site
one of mine has had the runs for over a week and the other started on Sunday. They have both had stomach aches - rolling etc since Monday night. The vet has been treating them with pain relief and codeine to bind them up. Blood tests haven't shown anything unusual and we are waiting for dung tests now. They have also been starved today and are looking happier tonight. Possible reasons given by the vet are:
something in the field
something in the haylege
infectious diorreah (e.g. salmonella)
worms

The codeine works well to bind them up, but of course doesn't treat the problem itself. They have been on a diet of hay only for the last few days as well to try and eliminate dietary problems

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Thanks all. He has recovered now, still not sure what was the cause. My friend thinks he may have eaten some tinsel that was put up in the barn, but couldnt see any shiny bits when checking poo for worms!