Diary of backing my youngster!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Just in case you were bored, thought Id keep a little diary (may only last a day or two if I get bored!!) about my youngster who is currently being backed.

Had him a week now. He's proved to be a bit of a brat, but then thats to be expected! He's a very solid little guy and has learnt before he came to me that yes, he can use his power in bad ways......! However he is sweet, comes neighing cantering down the field when he sees me which is cute. And once I begin grooming him, he stands so quietly. He also has moments where he comes to me for a head rub if he's unsure about something!

Taught him to tie up 3 days ago, only broke off the string about 5 times.... until I put my controller string headcollar on him which he soon learnt to repect (if he pulls, its uncomfortable so dont!). Still have a few issues with leading, although getting better. He charged off a few times to begin with or would simply plant his feet! Gloves are a DEFINATE requirement in handling him right now, I learn that (painfully) in the first 5 mins of meeting him!

Have managed to chuck a saddle on him and lead him about with it, he wasnt too bothered. Only flipped out once when I moved my hand to pat him and he spooked majorly almost flattening me in the process.

I handle him in the controller all the time right now until he learns NOT to run off! However feeling confident yesterday after leading him over some poles etc. (which he didnt bat an eyelid over) in the morning, I thought right this afternoon we'll attempt lungeing! Yeah right. all began well, until he went nuts then galloped off whipping the lunge line out of my hands...... So I thought, right you bugger I'll be ready for you next time. So he tried it again once I caught him and I tried SOOOO hard to hold him but couldnt. God, he's so strong!! It was just because Id gone from my controller (which he doesnt escape in) to the lunge headcollar which he knows he can...... Once he ran off, he then decided to prance about the field for a good 10 minutes being an arse, lunge rein trailing through all the mud and poo..... lovely. Caught him, and was so fed up and thought Id let him go and do some "join up" however he's so cocky, I was still "sending him off" after a good 30 mins, him with no signs of giving up or wanting to join me! Aghhhhh.

Today: today will involve more walking about on the lead to teach him to respect me and NOT gallop off! I'll pop him in the stable again for half an hour (he needs to get used to being in, just for pratical reasons) and pop on a simple bridle with a really nice bit for him to chew on for a while. Am bit worried about his teeth though, he has a very small mouth and his teeth are rather close to where the bit will be........

Theresa_F

Visit site
Keep on with him and expect to have the days when things go backwards - says me after using my baseball hat on naughty baby who would keep swinging his arse and squashing me. Baseball hat very good - makes a good thwack noise and easy to keep nearby.

Hornby

Visit site
What's his breeding and his history before he came to you? (This is interesting, please keep us updated!)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ok, well he's coming on leaps n bounds!

Yesterday I thought sod it, lets get on! So had friend holding him on lead. I did the usual lean over him and walk about bit. Made sure I did lots of moving legs and arms waving about to get him used to all that. He was fine so slowly put leg over and was on! Fully sitting up and everything. He really couldn't care less!

Today I got straight on with friend at his head again. Walked about in tiny paddock (so he couldnt run off even if he wanted to!) then got friend to move further away so I played about stopping him and getting him going again towards her - got a polo whenever he got to her for walking forward etc.! By the end friend was standing at the edge and we were doing something that vaguelly resembled turning, stopping, walking on etc. on our own! And we even managed about 3/4 steps of trot.

He's such a good boy, really didn't care about me hopping on. And he learns so quickly. I've also been managing to lead him about / tie up etc. in a normal headcollar without him charging off. So he is coming along nicely. Its hard keeping sessions very short and sweet (as they obviously need to be for a baby) as I want to keep going!

smile.gif