Did anyone else 'adopt' a pony when growing up?

Sherbie

Visit site
Hi,
When I was younger my mum could in no way afford to buy loan or even give me lessons on a pony. I was completley obsessed and dreamed of my own. My mum looked in to as few things and then decided to point me in the direction of some charities where you can adopt a horse/pony. It made my day I adopted a pony from redwings and although it was not the same as having my own it was fab to know he was safe after a crappy life.

Im now 24 and not sent any money or been adopting the pony in my adult life, had a look and he is still there!! I will be making contact to adopt him again.

I think ALL charities and people who are willing to do what they can for the beasties that get neglected or abused deserve a bl***y medal. I think we are all passionate but maybe action along with patience may be the best way forward !

Toffee44

Visit site
I used to use my holiday money to Adopt a pony called Paddy from the Isle of Man Rest home for old horses every year we went. Looking back now I think he was actually an old trotting horse but he was a lovely boy I fell in love with one day there, adopted him every year for about 5 years I think.

Now I just buy the charities chrismas cards.

rockysmum

Visit site
No I was lucky enough to have the real thing when I was a kid.

However now I am 50+ with three horses, I finally got an adoption pony. My friend adopted my favourite from Hope Pastures for my birthday :D :D Here he is

picture.php

Sherbie

Visit site
Aww Rockysmum he is just too cute!! Whats his story?

Christmas_Fairy toby is just adoralbe (I think I have seen this webiste before*off for another look*)
x

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
When I was a littl'un (talking 4ish!) I had an adopted pony called Ajax from Bleakholts Animal Centre - he was a little Shetland, grey and very hairy! :p
When I was older, my Grandma adopted a 16.1hh fleabitten mare called Mouse for me :) she was an ex racer and came in with a large group of neglected racers.
She was so lovely, a bit cheeky and grumpy with other horses (much like my mare now!) I have emailed HAPPA tonight, as can't see her on the adoption list - would love to know if the old lady is still around!
K x

CalllyH

Visit site
Rockysmum is that a horse? He looks quite scary! Although I think I found him on the website and it says he's over thirty!! Doing well

rockysmum

Visit site
Rockysmum is that a horse? He looks quite scary! Although I think I found him on the website and it says he's over thirty!! Doing well

Aww he wasn't a bit scary. I think Amy said they thought he was 40+ but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately he died in September, RIP little man. He had a lovely life at the santuary though, I dont know what had happened to him that he needed rescuing.

He was very cute and cuddly :D :D

welshcobmad

Visit site
I had Red Mist & then Jack Flash from HAPPA when I was younger which I loved, got to visit & groom them. Even now every year we adopt a donkey from The Donkey Sanctuary.

And ........

As a result, I now volunteer as a HAPPA inspector & have been allocated 4 ponies to check on every month which are loaned out locally. Lovely way to help out, huge help to them & nice to see the ponies all happy.

Garfield1537

Visit site
Yes I would adopt pones from Bransby home of rest - we even visited. I would adopt one every Easter instead of an egg! I was such a horse geek but to be honest still am : p

Kaylum

Visit site
When I was about 8 mum adopted me Heidi from what is now Hope Pastures. That was humm well over 35 years ago. My sister adopted Jet.

guesstimation

Visit site
I used to adopt rusty and polo at redwings and loved it when my parents took me to visit them! Then I went on to run own adoption scheme for the dartmoor pony training centre which was fun.

wtdnh131

Visit site
when i was about 6 or 7 i adopted the little grey dylan from redwings, at the time i thought he was huge then i went to visit him years later and realised how tiny he was!!!! only about 13hh

Madam Min

Visit site
I used to use my holiday money to Adopt a pony called Paddy from the Isle of Man Rest home for old horses every year we went. Looking back now I think he was actually an old trotting horse but he was a lovely boy I fell in love with one day there, adopted him every year for about 5 years I think.

Aww me and my mum adopted Paddy, he was a bright bay I think if I remember rightly? :) Think I've still got pics of him somewhere!

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
I used to adopt a donkey at the Donkey Sanctuary called Daniel O Donnel, he was a real sweetie >.<, and I used to go up and visit him when I had time at the weekends. I still have a toy replica of him upstairs ^_^.

becca1305

Visit site
when I was a young kid my gran paid to adopt a pony at Redwings as a birthday present. She's kept it going every year until the little lad passed away a couple of years ago in his late 20s. We still buy Christmas cards etc from there and once 'my pony' passed on my gran did the same with another pony for my cousin's little boy with the plan now being that hopefully within our extended family at least one pony at a time will be adopted for life :).

Silmarillion

Visit site
I adopted Polly from Redwings, too. Though she refused to come out of her shelter to say hello when I visited, and I fell for a friendly big chestnut TB instead! I think Polly is long gone, now.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
never did it when i was younger but my sister got my daughter an adoption pack for an exmoor pony for christmas, daughter has 2 ponies of her own but still thinks it's an 'awesome' present:)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
my mum adopted one for me for one of my birthdays.

It was a donkey called Tufty at Redwings Sanctuary.

My family even went camping for a week near the sanctuary so i could visit Tufty. I must have only been 8 or 9 years old :D

dotty1

Visit site
I had a certificate to say I had adopted a pony at Bransby and I think she was called Beatrice???. Long time ago now......doubt she's still around!! - at least 30 years ago.

cronkmooar

Visit site

Aww me and my mum adopted Paddy, he was a bright bay I think if I remember rightly? :) Think I've still got pics of him somewhere!

You can still adopt them at the Home of Rest:D

Last edited:

fuggly

Visit site
i was a pony mad kid but there weren't the funds for me to have my own pony so i was given smartie from bransby home for rest , i had completely forgotton about this until i saw this thread (sorry smartie )