did I really say I liked horse hunting?!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Started the day off ringing a few and quizzing the owners.
One sounded super, jumped BN and Discovery on a ticket, four faults in first newcomers etc, 15.3hh grey 6 year old.. was arranging to go and try him when something made me ask her again, "Are you sure there is nothing wrong with him like vices?"
"Well he does have sweet itch...."
End of conversation, how anyone can advertise a horse and expect someone to travel 80 miles without warning them first it had sweet itch beggars belief...
I've talked with some real characters today, the old chap who guaranteed if his horse fails the vetting he will pay for the vet's fees, to the woman who's horse does nap at competitions and out hacking, but is fine hunting she she is sure he could be cured..
Luckily I worked in a big dealing yard for two years so I know a few of the dodges, but even then I was nearly caught out by that first woman. She sort of hesitated when I asked if he had any problems health wise and that was why I asked again.
We are always dead straight when selling our horses, yesterday I told them all of Monty's problems which were basically a Tb brain in a huge body, but I didn't hide anything. There really is no point as the horse will revert to type within a week of arriving at it's new home. Plus we hope new owners will keep us updated to the horse's progress so it pays to be truthful.
back to the adverts..
Oh and so much for my easy morning with the papers and a coffee, my husband replumbed a cottage yesterday and one pipe sprang apart, the cottage was four inches deep in water so I have spent every minute until now using the carpet shampoo machine to suck the water back up.. Only stopped due to machine overheating, I don't think they are meant to work for hours on end!
He offered to stay and do it himself but with both horses already loaded ready for the Hunter Trial like a mug I said go and I'll cope.....
Back to the adverts!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
"Well he does have sweet itch...."

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the old chap who guaranteed if his horse fails the vetting he will pay for the vet's fees,

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
What, for the rest of its life??
[ QUOTE ]
to the woman who's horse does nap at competitions and out hacking, but is fine hunting she is sure he could be cured..

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Words almost fail me...

Well... good luck HH!! Hope you find something good soon!

Vey

Visit site
What sticks in my memory was hunting for a pony for the kids, many moons ago. The 12.2 which was a full up 10hh. The pony which would not move abovee a walk (super gym and jump that one was!) and as I looked suspiciously at her bulging belly 'well we did wonder if she could be in foal'. the nice child's pony which saw a jump and even my brave daughter lost any semblance of control - just careered round and round with daughter on top and me hanging on bridle full force!

We ended up buying an unbroken youngster who turned out to be everything we could have dreamed of and more.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
TB or near, at least 15.3 to 16.2hh 4 years to 8..
just about what every other event rider is searching for I guess!
Or we may just buy something that we can see will make a decent profit in a short time.
I must have rung twenty people now and only found a few worth viewing.
The best ones are all down near penzance.. there's a thought, I wonder if anyone lives near there off here? Could save me some hassle if they know the horses...

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
sympathesise been ringing for a horse and there just awful and thats jus the owners!!!lol we went to wales last week to look at a horse and it wasnt a cheapy and it didnt have a strand of mane and four forming splints!!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We were looking for a horse for my ex to ride years ago, he was 6'2" tall, ex rugby player so we needed a heavy weight, rang one which sounded great, when we got there it was about 15:1 middleweight! when we said we thought we explained on phone what we needed, owner said "well our blacksmith rode it last week" lol. We did eventually find the perfect mare at a local riding school, who stayed with us till old age finally claimed her, she was wonderful wo it is worth keeping looking.

Hornby

Visit site
I agree - horse hunting is great in theory and a pain the derriere in reality. Good luck and wishing you lots of patience (and detective skills) although it's got to be better than clearing up floods!