Did I see a pine marten?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I saw a creature I thought was a mink yesterday late afternoon, but it wasn't the colour I would expect and as it turned I could see it had a bib. It was too big for a stoat, and wrong colour, and looking at pictures of pine marten I think it could well have been one. Does anyone know if that's likely in woodland at CW12 postcode?

ycbm

Visit site
I did wonder about a polecat, but it had no white on its face, just the bib?

ycbm

Visit site
Pine martens ' bibs are quite a distinct apricot colour, was it like that? I love them, always sad to see squashed ones on the roads here ?

It was going into the shadow of a tree, I could only see that it was much lighter than the rest. I'd love it to have been one, they are such beautiful little creatures.

ArklePig

Visit site
No idea about in your area, but we get a lot where my parents live in County Clare. Size wise, sounds like you did see one!

I love them from a distance, they are very cute but they terrify me up close as one killed a friends cat.

We've had them in our wheelie bin on occasion which prompts my dad to act like one of those guys off the extreme pest programmes, like Snake City.

Equi

Visit site
I saw a pinemarten last year. Very cool experience. I missed getting a full front shot of it as it stood onits back legs just staring at me.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

photo_jo

Visit site
There are otters on the Dane-saw one the other day and they travel. There have been 10 recorded but not verified sightings of pine marten in Cheshire since 1989, the last verified sighting was in 1891- a pine marten shot on the Eaton estate near Chester

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
There are otters on the Dane-saw one the other day and they travel. There have been 10 recorded but not verified sightings of pine marten in Cheshire since 1989, the last verified sighting was in 1891- a pine marten shot on the Eaton estate near Chester

You might have the answer there, I was right by the Dane of course (at Somerford checking the horse up in the paddock), only yards away from the river. I would love it to have been an otter, too.

blitznbobs

Visit site
There are definitely otters around, if i get up really early and sit quietly by our bit of the dane there are 2 that come play in the field… theyre fabulous x

photo_jo

Visit site
You might have the answer there, I was right by the Dane of course (at Somerford checking the horse up in the paddock), only yards away from the river. I would love it to have been an otter, too.
I saw one in the river just up from where you come out on the farm ride-there are some regularly seen in Swettenham

Palindrome

Visit site
Interesting. I saw a stone marten hacking out a year or 2 ago, the way they move is really singular.
My neighbor saw a muskrat last week.

NightStock

Visit site
I'm super jealous if it was an Otter or a Pine Marten! We have Otters around here but so far I haven't spotted one but always keep an eye out. Let's hope you get another spotting soon.