Did you build your stable?

2HorseHouse

New User
Visit site
And if so, how much did it cost?

New house has three 11 x 11 stables plus a tack room - they're wood and riddled with wood borer / worm but two are usable for a bit until we can replace them. All the hard standing / electric etc is in place, but ideally I'd like to knock them down and replace them with 2 x larger boxes and a tack room (without the current leaking roof)! The paddocks are 2 acres in total, so building enough space for 2 horses only should be okay.

Any idea of how much your stables cost would be great, so I can start to plan / save etc... Thanks.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I replaced 3 stables and a tack room and added two further stables, another tackroom and a covered walkway/grooming area. We already had electric to it and the concrete under existing stables but all in with adding more concrete, new electrics and the stables was around 25k 5 years ago. If you use existing concrete etc I imagine yours will be considerably less :)

2HorseHouse

New User
Visit site
Phew! I hope so :)

Was hoping for about half what you paid - no point in getting people out to price it up presently, especially as I'm not yet going to go ahead. Thanks for the ball park figure!

NLPM

Visit site
I've had quotations recently for five stables, small hay barn and tack room, and they've ranged from £18,000 to £70,000. I think it was Vale that were cheapest.

Concrete quotations were close to £20,000 so there's huge savings to be had if you build on an existing site!

NLPM

Visit site
I replaced 3 stables and a tack room and added two further stables, another tackroom and a covered walkway/grooming area. We already had electric to it and the concrete under existing stables but all in with adding more concrete, new electrics and the stables was around 25k 5 years ago. If you use existing concrete etc I imagine yours will be considerably less :)

Can I just check I read this right - you did 5 stables, tack room, a covered walkway and some of the concrete, for 25K? If so, please could you let me know (via message if you like) who supplied and built your stables please? I would love to know if it's a company I've got a quotation from already, as if not I'd definitely like to get a quotation from them. Thank you!

Wheels

Visit site
Last year I had 2 concrete block large stables one is about 20 x 14, the other is about 16 x 14, a tack room and another store room plus the concrete pad. There was also a car port added (which is now a hay store but will one day be a wash box lol) out of steel sheets.

A local farmer built them for me, 12k all in. He even made my doors including the metal frames.

They are nothing fancy but will outlive me!

Should say I'm ni NI

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Can I just check I read this right - you did 5 stables, tack room, a covered walkway and some of the concrete, for 25K? If so, please could you let me know (via message if you like) who supplied and built your stables please? I would love to know if it's a company I've got a quotation from already, as if not I'd definitely like to get a quotation from them. Thank you!

Two tackrooms as had some concrete left so they knocked us up an extra tackroom ? all roofs are lined with ply and all stables fully lined too. Is just the extra tackroom which isn't lined and doesnt have a clear roof panel as it was a after thought.

County Equestrian did the stables and i think it was about 18k for the stables, the rest was electrics/concrete etc this was 5years ago tho

http://www.county-equestrian.co.uk/

Esmae

Visit site
Give Direct Sectional Buildings a call. They are based in Preston but deliver nationwide. They did ours 4 12'x12' boxes, 1 17' x 12' foaling box (we use it for a store. 1 12'x24' hay/fodder store and feed store. Delivered and erected £10k. Some years ago now but they are as good as new today. Really well made. Good to deal with and I would have them again if I needed something else built. Base was an extra expense but you seem to have that already.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I built four stables (one was a foaling box) in an L shape 13 years ago for £9k (not including concrete). They were well made and still look great (I creosote religiously every year). I had the roof replaced last year, which was £2k. Last year I built another 12x12 stable with attached 12x6 feedroom. It cost £3200, again not including concrete. There were cheaper around, but these are good quality.
(Latest stable was Direct sectional buildings too)

Parrotperson

Visit site
if you have it block built make sure they know they're building it for livestock. A friend had block build stables build by a proper builder in a barn. Looked fantastic. Horses went in. One of them leaned over the wall as his haynert was coming in and the wall fell over. Just a little warning! cost a fortune to put it right.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’ve just priced up the wood to build a 24 x 12 field shelter. We already have the skid(or in your case concrete pad) so I’ve priced for uprights, all the purlins, feather edge, kick boards, roofing, but not gates and no internal partition. £919 inc VAT. We rebuilt our small yard about five years ago and did the lot ourselves, levelling by shovel, concrete pads, new roof supports where telegraph poles had rotted (the roof did not need to be replaced). Three stables, a day kennel for the dogs and a tack/feed room, cost was about £2500.

Cragrat

Visit site
if you have it block built make sure they know they're building it for livestock. A friend had block build stables build by a proper builder in a barn. Looked fantastic. Horses went in. One of them leaned over the wall as his haynert was coming in and the wall fell over. Just a little warning! cost a fortune to put it right.

I strongly second this!

Our block stables were built by professional builders - they did last about 10 years before one horse pushed over the internal wall at the front - which turned out to be very poorly attached to the concrete base. That wall fell down as a complete slab, and hit the outer wall which was holding the roof. The whole lot came down, roof included, with two horses inside. Luckliy enough height remained at the back and they weren't harmed. We had it rebuilt with wood.

P.forpony

Visit site
Oh wow, looking at these my mum did well!
My first stables aged 11 were built by mum and me! (She was too scared to get on the roof, so I was chucked up and handed the power tools ?)

Everything came from a reclamation yard... exterior shell and roof were box profile, posts were old telegraph poles, walls fully lined with the thickest planks I’ve ever seen. We had some chaps in to pour the concrete but that’s all the help there was.

Took about a week in the school hols and minus the concrete less than 1k for two 12x15 boxes and a tack room!

GTRJazz

Visit site
I purchased a flat pack three 12x12 stable made of wood 3200 delivered spent another 800 on extra 1 inch chip board and wood to make it stronger. Base cost 1500 using the correct horse urine proof mix with fibres in it. Probably another 200 on metal cappings for the doors and sides and bolts and hinges. Sank two posts in the ground at either end to wind proof the structure as I did not want to drill the concrete.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Oh wow, looking at these my mum did well!
My first stables aged 11 were built by mum and me! (She was too scared to get on the roof, so I was chucked up and handed the power tools ?)

Everything came from a reclamation yard... exterior shell and roof were box profile, posts were old telegraph poles, walls fully lined with the thickest planks I’ve ever seen. We had some chaps in to pour the concrete but that’s all the help there was.

Took about a week in the school hols and minus the concrete less than 1k for two 12x15 boxes and a tack room!

Your hired!

hobo

Visit site
Thanks everyone - think I am going to try and get it block built, but good to know it's relatively achievable. :)

Make sure you use 9" hollows back filled with concrete and rods through the lower blocks they will than hold an elephant and any fat backside rubbing on them.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Cost me £6k for a local joiner to put up a very solidly done wooden stable block of 3 very large stables - I only have 2 horses on 1.5 acres but the 3rd stable I use as my tackroom. Mine are on a very sturdy frame and simply sit on top of the hardcore base - no foundations etc. and actually it works really well. We live on top of a hill and get strong winds (NE Scotland) yet they have never threatened to move. Love them being directly on top of hardcore too as I rarely stable mine, I just leave the doors open so they can come and go as they wish - when they pee, it simply drains away so the stable stay really dry. The £6k also covered things like electricity, lights, adding a water tap etc.