Did you see....?

J&S

Visit site
The photograph of The Queen riding her pony in the grounds of Windsor Castle? She is 94 now! My comments were......... wow, I have got another 20 years to look forward to..... BUT....... I shall need a new pony! I realise she gets a lot of "help" but I still think its brilliant that she has kept up her riding despite all the other events in her life. Or maybe , as with some of us, riding has been her escape from the "events" in her life!

Widgeon

Visit site
Of all the "famous people" I could invite to a dinner party....I would love to talk to the Queen about her horses. I thought it was a lovely photo. I suspect it has been her escape as you say - and it just goes to show what is possible with a nice natured, really well schooled pony!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The photos the other day were particularly lovely. Whenever she's in the presence of horses, she seems to sparkle. I'd also like to spend a day with her, she's seen so much over her life time and spoken to probably every world leader, but her knowledge and experiences covers so many things, including country pursuits, horses and dogs.
Anyone who loves animals and is interested in people is ok in my book.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Anyone remember the great cowgirl Connie Reeves who rode daily for 100 years ? She never got on a horse unless she'd tacked it up herself. She sadly died following an accident when her horse threw her shortly before her 102nd birthday.
Riders like her and the queen are my inspiration when deciding if I'm going to be fit enough to be still going for another 20 years each time I buy a new horse.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If they have done their job properly then they should have nothing to worry about!

True but every horse can have a bad day - carrying a very elderly head of the monarchy is needing to beyond bomb proof IMHO
Given she knows her horses I'd imagine they aren't brain fried donkeys so will have some personality - a cheeky moment could be interesting with someone who's over 90 y/o.

Be interesting to know how they train and whether they do anything different to make them super steady

Squeak

Visit site
A brilliant advocate for our domestic breeds, that are so often overlooked.

I hope I'm still riding when I'm her age.

I knew someone who worked in the stables at Windsor. I can't believe I never thought to ask her more questions at the time (including how they get the greys so white!!). Sadly I've lost contact with them now.

Skib

sites.google.com
It always puzzles me that she can still ride a broad native pony and with what looks like an additional saddle covering? Is it because she has ridden reguarly all her life so her hips have not narrowed? Nor her spine degenerated?
As for behaviour - surely it is the rider who dictates that? The horses I ride reguarly become very similar even though riden by lots of other people. If the Queen wants calm, she can probably get it on any horse.
That pic made me really envious yesterday - the first time my morale fell as I have no hope myself of getting back on the mare. I guess not for a year at least. OH reminded me that I could not expect the same as a Queen.

SEL

Visit site
I loved the photo, and I love the queen. She really looks to come alive when she is on her ponies and I imagine it's a great escape from what is really, a very taxing life.

I remember the papers posting photos of her grinning broadly at Windsor Horse show and comparing them to photos taken at some state event a week earlier where she looked a wee but glum (bored!). She really lights up around horses.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The sire of the pony is well known for having a fab temperament. My late L Fuzzy was by him, she was unfazed by most things.
Fell ponies tend to usually be very responsive* and if trained well are great rides. Sometimes they just need showing and explaining how things happen, once you have their trust you can do so much with them :)

*depending on how they are handled and backed

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I loved the pictures and I think HM is amazing. Her only concession to great age was to swap horses for ponies. I feel somewhat less daft for impulse buying two foals at Ballinasloe Horse Fair last year when I won’t see 60 again but they are super sweet and biddable and I am having a great time with them.

scotlass

Visit site
The photos are lovely. Her joy and love for horses is palpable when she is around them. Considering her age, diminutive size, previous knee problems and how stooped she is when she walks, not to mention how long her stirrup leather length is and how wide Fell ponies can be, she sits beautifully. Long may she continue to be able to do something she undeniably loves doing.