Difference between a skewbald and a tobiano?!

MagicMelon

Visit site
So I went to see a horse recently and it was advertised as "tobiano", on seeing it it just looked like your usual skewbald. I thought a tobiano was more splashed with colour (like big white bits on the face etc.). Is this correct or not?

NeverSayNever

Visit site
no i * think* it just refers to the fact the white is more along the top line, as if its white over brown if that makes sense? i could be wrong tho lol

RobinHood

Visit site
A tobiano has white patches (and pink skin) on a coloured base eg. A bay tobiano would be brown and white. In the UK we just use the terms piebald and skewbald, but genetically most of our coloureds are tobiano. The gene is denoted TO, or to, lots of info on the web if you want to research it further.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Tobiano is one of the many genes that causes pinto/coloured makings (the others are Frame, Splashed White, Sabino and Dominant White). Skewbald and piebald do not differentiate between the different coloured/pinto genes and are old fashioned terms. I like them though. :)

ETA - A Pintabian is a high % arab blood (over 99%) with the Tobiano gene. A pure bred arab with a big sabino patch is not a Pintabian. Both would be skewbald/piebald depending on the base colour.

So this is a piebald (black tobiano) pintabian.
20091208185431.jpg

this is a skewbald (chestnut sabino) pure bred arab.
2597648694_43dcf9fe2a.jpg

Another chestnut sabino arab (this one is more roany).
Frost.jpg

Last edited:

cob&onion

Visit site
20130821_164835.jpg

My girl has jet black ears on a pink skin base and grey irregular roaning splats......not sure if she may grey out eventually? Shes 5 registeted as tobiano skewbald on passport.
Perhaps someone can tell me more info?! Here she is during summer

20130613_144041_58455-2.jpg

skint1

Visit site
I try to keep life simple and stick to piebald and skewbald, I think the rest is to do with coat patterns, it could be genetics too, I can never remember, but I had to comment and say that your girl is absolutely gorgeous cob&onion

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
What about: a bay tobiano with sabino roaning to the edges of the patches, with ermine marks on the legs and chin and striped hoofs. The stripes on the hoofs don't seem to correspond with the placement of ermine marks. Does anyone know what gene causes the stripes? There are no indications of appaloosa genes.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm glad you find it interesting. I do worry that some people get totally bored of colour threads and that I don't realise because I enjoy them. :eek:

Good news though - it seems that whitehorseproductions is back. :D This site is brilliant for anyone who wants to learn more about horse colours. http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/equinecolor.html

S_and_S - You do get stripy hooves along with ermine marks, but IME they generally sort of match up or match well. It's unusual to have no correspondence at all between the ermine marks and hoof stripes. do you have a photo?

Enfys

Visit site
Tobiano, Tovero, Overo are just names for the patterns. It is that simple.

On the right of this page there are descriptions: http://www.apha.com/breed

In North America they are referred to either correctly (because they are registered) or generically, as Paints, or pintos, and by colour eg, Bay/dun/buckskin/palomino etc. Paint or pinto (pinto is often regional - no one where I live calls them pintos, ever)

Very rarely do people say "Oh the red tobiano/tovero/overo" because, well, we just don't. You say "The big red Paint with the white face and half white tail" or even easier, you describe the brand.

There is no confusion with colour because that is always stated, whereas in Britain/Europe although Piebald is obvious, Skewbald covers a whole host of shades.

These are tobianos (one dun, and one bay)

158.jpg

This is a sorrel/chestnut overo:

IMG_8723.jpg

In Britain they would just be skewbalds. the overo would be a lot more unusual markings wise though.

Last edited:

Pinky94

Visit site
What colour is my new filly? Looking at the coats on the apha website that was posted, i'd say she was a tovero? But I have no idea.
She has 1 3/4 blue eyes, but a lot of pink skin around the muzzle, whereas on the site page it says it tends to be darker skin?

9ecad0f9-f9b0-41a5-8ea9-83c739e9f771_zps161e125b.jpg

098e845d-b535-4585-96b0-e80c485c311b_zps8211b638.jpg

7044d9be-8365-4f85-9170-a693109ffbbc_zps59645f14.jpg

Sorry for the size of the pictures.

Enfys

Visit site
Pinky, the colour of your horse is bay skewbald/paint/pinto. I like her spotty neck :)

The pattern? On the face of it, Tovero for simplicity - BUT - if you want to be pernickety then you could start throwing in sabino (because of the 'lacy' edges) and other hidden influences because of the pink skin etc. It is a mine field, the best way is to get her colour tested if you really, REALLY, wanted to know. If you know her parentage then it is a lot easier ;)

Really though, she is a bay skewbald. Not a tri colour because there is no black on her body (or is there?)

Megibo

Visit site
Out of interest what colour is our filly? She was born 'red and white' then looked positively 'blue and white' but now is more steel grey (with pinky red hairs on face and stifle). She also has a streak of white running through the middle of her tail. Her dad was grey and we think she's going to end up the same which will be a massive shame. According to the vet the skin under the colour is black and under the white hair it is pink but I think she'll go grey all the same..

lighter summer-
greysaffy_zps75d2f836.jpg

darker winter-
greysaffy2_zps39e1b062.jpg

also, her colour 'bleeds' into her white via a blue smudge type effect, and on her left side where her white is she has a big blue patch not anywhere near her colour where a girth would go.