Difference of opinions

Tia

Visit site
Am I alone in noticing that there are two distinctly different camps on here at times?

The advice offered and suggested can often be VERY different depending on whether the poster is a professional horse dealer/trainer/competitor etc, to the advice often given by people who have one happy hacker.

Absolutely no disrespect her to either party but I have just noticed it that's all. The professionals almost ALWAYS suggest the same tack but the happy-hackers can go either way on their thoughts.

Anyone else noticed this, or am I waffling again LOL!!

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! I don't know which camp you belong in as I haven't read enough of your posts.

I'm in the Vici and others camp though LOL!! Oooooh do you think we could form a new clique, PMSL!!! Nah on second thoughts - I'm no good at cliques.

burtie

Visit site
I think it must be very confusing for someone asking for advise as we all give it quite freely
grin.gif
without any reference to our "qualifications" for giving that advice. Those of us who have been around a while "know" each other, but for any newbie genuinely seaking advice it must be a minefield!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I always find the conflicting advice quite interesting. I think you have to sift through it quite carefully though. Although I have access to loads of very knowledgeable people at the yard, there is nothing like a forum like this (or the other one I belong to) for finding out new techniques and other ways of doing things. Just because something has always been done a certain way, there is nothing to say that there are not better ways around. We have adopted many ideas from these two forums over the past 18 months and I hope that some of our ideas have also been adopted by others.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I think that if you have been around horses for long enough you can tell the people that know what they are doing from the people that think they know what they are doing. Can also gage this on yards…people that think they know what they are doing are very quick to give advice, people that know what they are doing shut up and wait till it is asked for…

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LOL!! I don't know which camp you belong in as I haven't read enough of your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, probably coz I rarely post unless it's something I can comment on. And my experience of various horses is only through working at the yard plus old share pony

ExRacers

Visit site
I think it's mostly different opinions than anything else.

Very interesting though & you can nearly always learn something new.

Have to say vicijp talks the most amount of sense I've heard so far!!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
mad.gif
DON'T act innocent - we know who you are!!
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOVING the new addition to your siggy by the way!!
grin.gif

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very much like real life then!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Yes!
grin.gif
And never mind horses, try having a baby, the amount of "interesting" advice I'm currently getting from various sources is truley staggering!!
grin.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
** DON'T act innocent - we know who you are!! **

Dont understand that....pls expain!

Tia did you mean I am on good form? Because paying me a compliment is too much and might just make me smile whilst I sit bored in an office full of boring people!

Tia

Visit site
Oh you are too! My reply was to my good buddy Weezy though, but hey this place is large enough for all us lark-arounders!!
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
Try to differentiate then! Forget about HOW you are being given information and try to look at WHAT information is being passed on.

One thing in life I have learned is NEVER cut your nose off to spite your face!!! Even if the advice comes from someone you intensely dislike do not disregard it just because of that!
smile.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I am not a professional horse-person but I am involved in the equine industry but I could also be described as a happy hacker! Sometimes it is harder for one-horse people to see the bigger picture but I don't feel that makes their input any less valid. A difference of opinion is what drives a discussion and only be discussing new things will we ever learn, and even the most experienced and wise of horse people must accept that they have things to learn about horses, just like the rest of us.

rema

Visit site
Mmm good question.When it comes to the finer points of horse ownership like schooling,competing and most horse health issues i am way out of my depth but do find the advice given to be most helpful.I dont think anybody stops learning when it comes to being around horses!!!.
grin.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Personally, I take everyones opinions on board, whether they're a professional with years of experience, or a happy hacker with just one horse.

It's all relative.
I'm sure we all know at least one person who's been in the business for years and knows it all, yet they can be set in their ways and unwilling to consider that anything other than their way is the right way.
By the same token, there can be new owners, who have spent years working hard around other peoples horses, who probably have huge equine knowledge, and are open to other ways of thinking.

Everybody has a contribution to make imho.
smile.gif

JaneSteventon

Visit site
I think that is what is good about these kinds of forums. I have often asked for advice (and given it) on here and i think its great to get different opinions from people with same/different experiences of horses. Also good that there are people who have experience/knowledge of different areas of horsemanship.