Differences between UKNHCP and AANHCP trimmers please?

HelenBack

Visit site
I'm tentatively looking for a new trimmer for my horse and just looking at the different philosophies that the various organisations work to. I'm trying out if there's much difference in practice between the approaches of the AANHCP and the UKNHCP, or is just that the UKNHCP is a spin off form the AANHCP?

I quite like the way both of them describe their approaches as they seem to want to work with the horse whereas the equine podiatry approach seems to be almost mathematical and more in the camp of imposing a human ideal of balance onto the horse.

My horse has a couple of confirmation issues and now some lameness issues as well and my view is that imposing balance on him probably wouldn't work. The approach of letting him grow the hoof he wants really appeals to me and I'd really like to try self trimming with him but I'm not quite brave enough. I do like the idea of somebody who could work with me towards that though.

So I've waffled a bit but am I right in thinking that with the sort of approach I'm looking for either a AANHCP or a UKNHCP trimmer could be suitable. I'm not going to be rushing into any decisions and will be asking a lot of questions and asking for references before taking anybody on. I thought this seemed to be a good place to start in my search though as I know not all trimmers are equal.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes there is a difference but not a huge amount. One school of thought is get hoof boots on and get them comfortable and moving as much as possible, as the more work the better, if sound.

Have you seen the Rockley Farm website? You will see horses with flare, because that is what they need, usually as there are some issues higher up the leg.

Mine has just had his shoes back on after having them off in March, and his feet look so much better, and I can see the steeper growth. I should have pointed it out to the farrier!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
AANHCP is US; UKNHCP is UK but there’s no qualification you have to train with AANHCP. They follow the LANTRA NOS in the UK.
EPAUK are the only UK body that can provide training in the UK with a recognised diploma by LANTRA. All very confusing and needs to be sorted out.

a good trimmer is a good trimmer. Some trimmers like to leave a foot to grow how it needs for a while maybe, others don’t and I guess all the research is ongoing and very interesting. All my horses are barefoot... some need hoof... others can’t function with any wall growth at all and I guess it needs someone who can work with you and the horse to work it all out. How did I choose? I just found the one with the most sound performing horses on the books!

Janey5

Visit site
AANHCP is US; UKNHCP is UK but there’s no qualification you have to train with AANHCP. They follow the LANTRA NOS in the UK.
EPAUK are the only UK body that can provide training in the UK with a recognised diploma by LANTRA. All very confusing and needs to be sorted out.

a good trimmer is a good trimmer. Some trimmers like to leave a foot to grow how it needs for a while maybe, others don’t and I guess all the research is ongoing and very interesting. All my horses are barefoot... some need hoof... others can’t function with any wall growth at all and I guess it needs someone who can work with you and the horse to work it all out. How did I choose? I just found the one with the most sound performing horses on the books!
Who do you use for your barefoot triming? From what you are saying a barefoot trimmer, may not actually need to trim they may just review and provide guidance about a recovery or improvement plan to build a stronger hoof and sole. I am currently transitioning a retired racehorse, shoes removed in December 22, and have just experienced my first abscess. I want to do more to help him transition and feel my current plan or lack of plan isn't working. My horse easily becomes footsore and is dubious about walking on uneven ground prefering the soft paddock. Whilst I have allowed this to happen I am now wondering if a more structured exposure to different surfaces through in hand work is required. Do you have any experience of transitioning?

Any support or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Jane

paddy555

Visit site
Who do you use for your barefoot triming? From what you are saying a barefoot trimmer, may not actually need to trim they may just review and provide guidance about a recovery or improvement plan to build a stronger hoof and sole. I am currently transitioning a retired racehorse, shoes removed in December 22, and have just experienced my first abscess. I want to do more to help him transition and feel my current plan or lack of plan isn't working. My horse easily becomes footsore and is dubious about walking on uneven ground prefering the soft paddock. Whilst I have allowed this to happen I am now wondering if a more structured exposure to different surfaces through in hand work is required. Do you have any experience of transitioning?

Jane
Not tallyho but yes some trimming may be needed or not. It is a case of working with what the foot needs rather than just trimming a foot.

Yes a more structured exposure to different surfaces is a good thing but only with a SOUND horse. You cannot make a footsore horse have better feet by hand walking him on surfaces that are too much for that stage of his feet, he will become more sore and may even bruise and abscess.

If you want some help you could try posting some pics of your feet (camera on the ground for the side shots and of the sole) making sure your feet are very well cleaned especially the frog, grooves and white line. Also details of the age of your horse, and what you are hoping to do ie retired as in old age field ornament or retired as in off the track and hoping to ride. Also how he is kept ie in, out 24/7 and any other info. Who trims him and how often. Diet.

There are lots of us on here who have transitioned horses.

ETA possibly start a new thread then it will stand out better

tallyho!

Visit site

Jane
Hi Janey5, I'm so sorry you're going through it at the mo with the abscess. All very frustrating but don't lose hope...

Since my post, EPAUK is now the approved body for barefoot trimming in the UK. https://www.lantra.co.uk/product/35013. It now has national recognition amongst very stringent standards - perhaps you can find someone qualified near you... just click the Find an EP button in this link https://www.epauk.org

I sought a podiatrist (EPAUK) to help and this forum! (now 15+ years ago, time flies) Before that, I was struggling with a shod horse that we just could not get sound - he came sound very quickly after we trasitioned and was jumping again after 10mo. Since then I've seen many of my friend's horses go sound barefoot with the help of an EP.

As you say, there are times, a full trim is not needed if that horse is performing and the hoof has adapted well, or they are not ready for a trim. Sometimes only small adjustments are needed, others a rebalancing may be required over a few years - hooves change. Diet can have a massive impact. In fact, I would say, if you haven't got that right, it becomes a battle. They will help you, and what I like is that they teach you to see between trims what is needed - or when to call and discuss stuff that is going on, including diet.

Happy to help you in any way I can - if you keep it on here or start another thread, perhaps the other experienced barefooters can also help you as I know there are many here with many many years of experience and I have a few of them to thank as they helped me out when I first started... including paddy555 above and photos are a good idea on a new thread.

tallyho!

Visit site
just to say, if you do start a new thread, you can put a link to it here in case it gets lost amongst the Badminton chat... that way anyone following can get a notification (I think that's how it works...)