Different Pelhams - also in CR

abbijay

Visit site
I put this in CR but got no responses so come on NL, show me how clever you are!

What is the difference in action of a fixed ring, loose ring and rugby pelham?
Also, should the loose ring be used with a sliphead?
Mini eggs for anyone who can summarise it well, thanks!

whisp&willow

Visit site
i am a bit confused by your question: but, the loose ring is useful for horses that can take hold of the bit/lean on your hands.

a rugby pelham should be used with a sliphead to attatch to the floating ring. as far as iknow its only real difference to a plain pelham, is that you attatch the sliphead to make it appear that the horse is in a double bridle.

(i will gladly be corrected if the rugby has another specific purpose! ;) )

Last edited:

abbijay

Visit site
Sorry if it's not clear. Basically why would i choose one type of Pelham over another (assuming the mouthpieces were the same)? They must make different types for a reason - other than just looks surely?!
I know the rugby is used with a sliphead but as the loose ring pelham is also not a fixed ring I wasn't sure if it would be required.
Thanks,

JFTDWS

Visit site
Don't know about loose rings - the only loose ring pelham I can think of is a swales, whcih I don't think it is commonplace to use a sliphead with. Generally, the more indirect the action, the less "strong" it is - so a rugby is "softer" than a standard pelham. But inevitably, I'm sure this is an oversimplification :p And I'm no bitting expert...

Enfys

Visit site
http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Loose_Ring_Show_Pelham_neat_showing_pelham_show_pelham-(455).aspx

81e2c75a-c1ae-4afc-b6c3-49e9eab2985e.jpg

^
Loose ring show pelham. I like the look of these. Much neater than a Rugby Pelham on a small tidy head, should still correctly be used with a slip head.

6cb039c2-bf37-4b26-9f4b-c042600e69f3.jpg

^
Rugby pelham, clumpy looking bit. Absolutely must be used with a slip head as it looks dreadful without, the appearance would suit a bigger hunter/ cob type head.
http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/...nch_rugby_pelham_french_link_rugby-(459).aspx

All down to personal preference, both yours and the horses.
Lots of info on action etc on the link.

abbijay

Visit site
Well his head is HUGE! So if only down to looks then a rugby would be best but if as JFTD said it will have a less direct action then I'm not as keen.
Thanks for adding pics Enfys!