Difficult day

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Today I took my girl in the school (she has had back problems) but she is back in work and better now. I've been building it up day by day. She has had a lot of energy, and keeps wanting to do more. Today we had a little marish moment, someone had left gate to school open and she decided she had had enough and trotted out. she napped and reared but I got her back in again, and got someone to shut gate. Then - we cantered and did some jumps - I was amazed she then went and jumped top hole (about 3ft something - and she was jumping massive over it). Am pleased ( as want to work her toeards next show), but not pleased she is still napping. I have been very firm with her and done lots of ground work with her including lots of lunging, and yet still she tries it on. Just beginning to wonder if she will always nap and rear and if its something I will have to accept. What can I do to show her she is not in charge and that I am - any ideas anyone? I always win every battle with her but its not getting rid of the problem
frown.gif
frown.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
It is possible to stop them napping altogether, we've changed quite a few who had good lines in rearing on end and napping backwards.
I would continue to school her as the more disciplined she is, the less likely she is to try it.
Once you get to the level of shoulder in/leg yeild etc it's often easier to put them into either of those the second they start, it concentrates their mind elsewhere and often you avoid a nap.
I don't know how experienced you are but the majority of horses try it on just a little before they nap, either by ignoring a leg aid, or just a sort of reluctance to go forward, if you can anticipate these and go firmly into trot the second you feel this often they don't try anything worse. You need to be aware of the slightest disagreement and make sure you go forward.
Massive naps like rearing and leaping about often have to be overcome by stealth rather than outright confrontation unless you are virtually a professional rider.
It takes quite a time to overcome a nappy horse, but it can be done if you persevere.
Things like leaving the school gate shut until you can prevent napping is sensible, once you are sure you have her between hand and leg open it and make her ignore it... We find being quietly determined works best...

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I know it was silly that the gate was open - I should have seen that one coming lol. I generally anticipate when she will do it so am always ready, and manage to get her forward. Just so annoying though. I am very determined
smile.gif