Difficult Decision!

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hi, just wanted to run this one by you good people out there! I have the most fantastic TB who is now 21yrs old, had him since he was 11yrs been a great hunter, cross county, riding club and show horse, all low level but a really good fun all rounder. For the last couple of years been in on and off light work due to lameness, last year diagnosed with high ringbone and treated also a bit arthritic but not too bad. Unfortunately he decided to be an idiot and turned himself inside out in the field a few weeks ago and has now done a deep flexor tendon. The insurance company will pay, the vets are talking about a trip to the veterinary hospital to use key hole surgery to put a camera in to see exactly what he has done and treat with PRP, etc. if viable. The vet has said that the prognosis for this type of injury is not good as low down by the fetlock joint. I am not sure what would be best for him, should I drag him an hour and a half in a trailer and subject him to the above or get the vet to treat him at home as he is wondering around in walk without too much problem, but with a swollen leg that he rests a lot and retire him for a year or so. Or do I call it a day? Its so difficult as I just want to do the right thing by him.

Izzwizz

Visit site
My mare is 19, 5yrs ago she tore her DDFT in her hoof, found only by mri scan. Shes only in light work now but had we not had the scan done I wouldnt have known the extent of her injury. If your Insurance Co will pay then if I was in your position I would get your horse checked out. Then you will know what is the next possible step. When you have the proper diagnosis then you can plan ahead.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Ronalda

Visit site
Hi, just wanted to run this one by you good people out there! I have the most fantastic TB who is now 21yrs old, had him since he was 11yrs been a great hunter, cross county, riding club and show horse, all low level but a really good fun all rounder. For the last couple of years been in on and off light work due to lameness, last year diagnosed with high ringbone and treated also a bit arthritic but not too bad. Unfortunately he decided to be an idiot and turned himself inside out in the field a few weeks ago and has now done a deep flexor tendon. The insurance company will pay, the vets are talking about a trip to the veterinary hospital to use key hole surgery to put a camera in to see exactly what he has done and treat with PRP, etc. if viable. The vet has said that the prognosis for this type of injury is not good as low down by the fetlock joint. I am not sure what would be best for him, should I drag him an hour and a half in a trailer and subject him to the above or get the vet to treat him at home as he is wondering around in walk without too much problem, but with a swollen leg that he rests a lot and retire him for a year or so. Or do I call it a day? Its so difficult as I just want to do the right thing by him.

Always best to put the horse in a position to fix itself; after all that was what was done before we had vets.

Tendinitis will sort itself out; it will take time for the lesion to repair and reorientate its fibres. Tincture of time is best; six months, maybe more; but not box rest (or bute).

Are you able to turn away in an environment without too much grass?

Copperpot

Visit site
My horse did his ddft in foot last year. I didn't have an MRI but he blocked to the foot and x rays were all clear. I just put him in a small paddock for 6 weeks to he could walk but not run and then after that turned him out for 6 months. Then started walking him and after a month introduced trot then 2 weeks later canter. 11 months later I jumped him for the first time. My insurance co would have paid 100% of an MRI but for me the treatment plan would have been the same. Field rest and lots of it. No danilon and no being locked in a stable for months on end.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hi, thank you for the replies, they confirm what I have been thinking! I don't want to mess the old boy around with either travel or key hole surgery so going to treat at home and rest - retire and if he comes back into light work again great, if not never mind!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Hi, thank you for the replies, they confirm what I have been thinking! I don't want to mess the old boy around with either travel or key hole surgery so going to treat at home and rest - retire and if he comes back into light work again great, if not never mind!

Spot on. Good luck.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Your old friend is not a project for vets .
You do want you feel is best for him .
If you choose not to go for mega ££££££££ vets option just tell the vets straight it's not in his best interest and ask about adequan or similar which will help healing with a course of injections at home .
TBH I would not be be sending him away from home either .