Dilema - been offered a trailer

Cloud9

Visit site
Been thinking about buying a trailer. I have now been offered one by a colleague - Rice Beufort Double for 800 quid. In a dimela as don't really have the cash but could find it - however will I use - don't want to waste my money. Although maybe it will make me get out and about abit more instead of plodding round the same lanes. Also don't really know what I am looking for in a trailer condition wise - I know the trailer is about 10 years old, had a new floor recently and also has four new tyres. Only for sale as his wifes new horse will only go in a box and as he says its gathering dust on his haulage yard.

So the question is what do I look for when I go to see it. Any pointers as have no idea on what to look for in a trailer and will our Diahatsu Fourtrak pull it and how much is insurance??

iconique

Visit site
I always look at Floor, brakes, Hitch

The floor needs to be sound, too many accidents are because of a floor, the working parts of a trailer are the brakes and the hitch (the hitch activates the brakes normally) and the hitch if worn will need replacing, but you need to look at the chassis too because if this is rotten your floor won't stand up to much literally.

Otherwise is it sound, front ramp is always a prefrence, but then check the padding, ramp isn't too heavy, fixings, partition and general look, including size for your horse.

with regard to towing capacity, a fourtrak is generally good but if you aren't sure, look on parkers.co.uk as this will give you the braked trailer weight - you don't state a model so I can't check.

With insurance, you can add it to your motor policy but may have limited cover in the event of breaking down with a horse in it. Otherwise most horse insurance policies will add it or you can take out a stand alone, but I cant help with costs sorry!

Sleepeeze_dad

Visit site
Ok -can't answer your questions about whether you'll use it however we have one of these...

OK first thing get underneath it - is there loads of rust on the metal under there or is it nice and clean with just a bit of brown surface rust? Badly rusted will be bubbly as opposed to a bit rough.

Lift the rubber mat and check ALL the floor. See what it's laid with. Rice (and their spares dealers) still use a single layer of special hardwood planks. Some of the better done ones don't have rubber mats at all and have cross laid chamfered (sp?) planks.

Check both ramps are done the same. Check for corrosion around the bottom of the bodywork. There's likely to be a bit but it shouldn't be excessive.

Electrics - make sure they are all clean - take the covers off the lights if you need to and see what condition the wiring is in - should be ok but not blackened or cracked.

Brakes - very important. Make sure the emergency brake lock works (is primed like the trigger of a gun and should snap down onto the towbar "teeth" when pulled. Ask when the brakes were relined. If they need doing the only way to do it is to reline the shoes with parts from Chelsea frictions. Check the brake lever won't come all the way back - it should stop before htting it's mounting bolt.

Check the all the wheels are in line (this is the trailer with 4 wheels...) If not - as in out of step or angled, it means new indespension suspension units - they are only a block of rubber under torsional stress.

Check the tow ball screws down fully and locks onto a towbar without play. This is one of the handy things about them is that the manual screw takes out the play that can become dangerous on the auto handle ones. Check the two "shock absorber" at the back of the tow ball - they should be very hard to move.

BTW generally there is no auto reverse brake release. If you want to go backwards with it you stick a bolt through the tow frame. I kid you not but it works well.

There are a few more bits and pieces but this should keep you going.

BTW we love ours and it's built like a tank AND the ramp is on the right side for offloading beasties onto the verge if you need to on a road.

Sleepeeze_dad

Visit site
Oh the fourtrak appears to have a 3.5 tonne tow capacity, same as our disco so you've got no problems there. Ah - missed the 10 years old bit but most of what I said above still applies.

Last edited:

Cloud9

Visit site
Thanks for reply - all knowledge greatfully received!!! Am going over to have a look then if it looks sort of ok I will see if I can find someone more knowledgable to go with me and OH to have a 2nd opinion.

Our vehicle is a Diahatsu Fourtrak TDX Independent 2.8. My horse is a 15hh cob weighing about 480kg (approx).

CeeBee

Visit site
I have just bought a 2nd hand Rice Beaufort trailer. My horse is insured with NFU and they added it to my policy for £42. This is an all risks policy for damage and theft. No excess for damage, but £100 excess for theft. As for recovering my horse should it break down, I am covered for that under my horse insurance. I am a member of the AA and this covers recovering anything I might be towing, eg. trailer, caravan etc. Hope this helps a little.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
As for recovering my horse should it break down, I am covered for that under my horse insurance. I am a member of the AA and this covers recovering anything I might be towing, eg. trailer, caravan etc. Hope this helps a little.

Double check that this covers your horse! I left the AA to go to the RAC as they do a specific trailer/horse policy. When I told the AA I was leaving and why they didn't say anything about doing a similar policy. I'm pretty certain (over 90%) that the AA won't recover the horse, they may take the trailer, but you wouldn't want the horse stranded by the roadside:eek:!

kezimac

Visit site
fourtrak will def pull it - but get someone to check it over for you if not sure yourself as to what to look for

iconique

Visit site
Think this is one of the best tow vehicles regarding weight there is (including disco, ml, paj etc.)

Production 1 Jul 1993 -1 Jan 2002
Length 4165 mm
Width 1780 mm
Height 1925 mm
Weight 1780 kg
Fuel Delivery Turbo injection
Transmission Manual
Gears 5 Speed

Performance Engine Size 2765 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph -
Power Output 96 bhp
Valves 8
Torque 245 Nm
Top Speed -

Costs MPG 30
Insurance Group 8
Euro Emissions Standard II
CO2 Emissions 248 g/km
Road Tax Band K
Click here for road tax costs
Click here for company car tax costs

Practicality Wheelbase 2530 mm
Luggage Capacity -
Fuel Capacity 60 L
Turning Circle 11 m
Unbraked Towing Weight -
Braked Towing Weight

Please double check though.

Good luck with it and hope its as good as it sounds.