Dilemma! Opinions please ?

Vicki1986

Visit site
I may have the opportunity to take part in a clinic with a famous SJ'er at a friends yard.

But i cant decide whether to or not, im an adult on a pony for a start, and i am really paranoid people watching will be really anti and snobby about it.

I'd feel a bit silly if everyone else was on what i call 'proper' horses and thought i should be too? and jumping affiliated heights?

My pony is [i think] a good little jumper, i lost a lot of confidence in a serious jumping accident when i was 14 and since buying her [march 06] i started with the tiniest of cross poles and have now competed 3ft hunter trial and 2ft3 SJ (doing up to 2ft9 at home)
she is capable of jumping 3ft 6 according to my instructor who saw her jump with previous owners loanee

What would you do if you were in my position?? Am i just being a baby?! i think i am but do you think my thoughts are justified and perhaps i shouldnt do it? I'm a typical libra so very undecisive as you may be able to tell!!

just to give an idea of her size she is 13.1 so not like she is a big 14.3 almost horse type pony!!

ealgesf8-10-6.jpg

22-10-06jj.jpg

22-10-06g.jpg

RunToEarth

Visit site
I would go, its a great opportunity to put your confidence fears behind you. Some people can be funny about things like that, I got some looks when I took my sister's old 13hher BSJAing at a seniors show, but most of them you wont see again, most will admire you. You can't pass up the opportunity
smile.gif

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
go for it honey!
i'm 5'6" and ride a 11.2 hh welshie! at the end of the day you do what you want to and to hell with the rest of them. when i get asked / told that my boy is too small for me (and this happens nearly every day) i just tell them that he shrunk in the wash. it makes me laugh anyway.
have fun. x

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
I agree with the others and think go for it!!

Yes there are lots of snobs about that sort of thing, but I reckon these days there are more and more of us who are open to whatever suits people and horses.

I reckon it's our job to MAKE SURE we get out and say nice things. It's about time the judgemental lot were made to feel in a minority and learn to keep their opinions to themselves
smile.gif

susan_w

Visit site
I think that it'll depend on who the famous showjumper is. Do you mind me asking?

The only reason I am saying this is because, you will really need to go in the pony group if there is one. Your pony will struggle with the striding of a horse group, and I've been to a lot of these type of clinics and tbh, they concentrate a lot on striding, related distances etc.

Ask the yard if they are running a pony group, and see if you can slot in to that one. Don't worry about being an adult on a pony, just enjoy it and hopefully gain some useful tips from it.

PM me if you don't want to say who it is on here - it's only cos I'm interested for my daughter.

Good luck

Susan

sea_view

Visit site
Doesn't matter what others think, you have as much right to benefit from the experience of a professional as anyone on their 'big horses' do. If you want to go then go and have fun!!!

jayvee

Visit site
Seriously- Go for it!!
To hell with the snobbery, (I know it's out there, and it only takes one to make you feel they are all like it. tho I bet 1/2 of it is cooked up in your mind). I know how you would feel, I'm sure I'd be the same. But don't miss it, you would gain sooooo soooo much from it for your own confidence, and admiration for your pony -if nothing else.
I'm lacking confidence at mo, and if I was offered that op I would go (and feel just like you).
people watching who claim to know it all and do it all will watch and really see they are no different to you, and deep down will admire your guts to be out there doing it and envy you.. I do!

Tia

Visit site
Definitely, definitely go to it!!!! You will have an absolute blast and it will be terrific experience for you AND your pony.

I wouldn't expect people to be snotty to you - most folks who go to these clinic's are nervous enough without bitching about others.

Oh and by the way, at least half of my horses are not actually horses......they are ponies!
grin.gif
Ponies are just the best!!

jumbyjack

Visit site
Go for it! It's too good an opportunity to miss really. Your pony looks super and no one has the right to critisise you for riding her. Have fun!!!
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Absolutely go for it if you can.

However, do be prepared to be disapointed - in as much as if you are the only pony they may not be able to accomodate you in a class.

Hope they can fit you in.

Kezza

Visit site
Vicki I really would not worry and don't let your fears about people's opinions stop you from doing what you want to, most people will cheer you on anyway!

I too am the most nervous jumper which is why I have an excellent jumping pony who is teaching me a thing or 2 and at 5ft 4 I am by no means small on him as he's only 13.3hh!

I find jumping rallies are excellent for building confidence as you get very good instruction and at the same time meet other people who probably feel the same as you to a certain extent.

Also you are jumping way higher than me, I have done rallies where I have refused to let it go above 2ft 6 and the instructor is always very understanding. To me the quality of my skills is more important than how high I can go. I already know my boy can do a 3ft 6 course and I have no interest in ever jumping that high myself but that doesn't stop me from going on a rally. I just tell the instructor up front so they can put me with people who wish to jump the same height as me and if everyone wants to go higher, they never usually object to lowering them for me, nor do they make me feel silly about it.

If you do do the rally, my friend and I would be interested in joining you as she only does little ones too on her pony. You will be jumping higher than us no doubt!

Vicki1986

Visit site
Thanks Kez thats made me feel loads better.

The slots are for singles or pairs so if you and your friend want a slot or if one of you wants to double with me i dont mind?

I will give you a shout nearer the time as its not booked as a date yet at the moment.

Agree about quality not height. I have gone right back to basics now and working on my flat work. Although think i need a blast round the farm this weekend to let our hair down!!

Kezza

Visit site
well if ever you'd like company hacking let me know and I'll bring my mad orange one! Ha ha, what a pair we would be!

ruthy1

New User
Visit site
I regularly do a dressage clinic held by a really serious Olympic standard instructor despite the fact that I am a so-so rider and the horse is, bless her little heart, a bit cobby and not exactly built to pirouette about the arena. Its a small class and the rest are all brilliant riders on big fancy perfectly turned out warmbloods. But I learn a lot, the instructor is not at all snobby, and we can now do a rather fine collected trot that puts the rest to shame. Still can't pirouette, but maybe one day ...
Do it.

SJFAN

Visit site
Agree with the others - it's nobody else's business how small your pony is. The pony is right for you and that's all that matters. Hope you'll tell us how you get on.