Dilemma-what would you do?

Rosiefell

Visit site
Hi-this is my first post here (although I have been lurking for a while)-please be kind to me
smile.gif
In the field next to my ponies (we share a small parking/tie up area) there are 3 old horses,I think they must be in their 20's. One of them,a TB type gelding,has chronic diarrhoea. This has been going on for at least 6 months,certainly longer. It is so bad that when he poos it sprays about 2ft from his behind. The owner has had the vet to him and he is believed to have stomach ulcers. He is fed 3x a day (which he doesn't always finish) and lives out 24/7. He is still ridden but has been known to colic on return from a ride (although I haven't witnessed this personally). This morning when I checked my guys I noticed that this old boy had poo all down his hind legs and the rear binding of his rug.
My dilemma is do I say anything to his owner (tactfully) that maybe his future should be considered. If he was mine I know what I would do-and I have made a decision like this before. I don't want to be accused of interfering but I was quite upset when I saw him today. This boy is an ex-riding school horse & I feel he deserves to go with dignity.
TIA

Nailed

Visit site
Hello. Is the horse happy. Becuase although he may have ulcers and such he may still be happy tottling about. You could also get some coligon leaflets and pass them on to the owner as Coligon is known to releif the symptoms of diarrhoea and ulcers. Pm me is you wan me give you the pm of someone who has some coligon forms
Lou x

Rosiefell

Visit site
TBH I'm not sure. I generally tend not to interfere with other people's horses unless there appears to be something obviosly amiss. Maybe I will make a point of observing him for a few days.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
people can get very techy about having their horses watched, Personally I would strike up a conversation with the owner to get to know what exactely is going on and what they are doing to help the horse. If the vet is involved then at least they are getting it seen too.
Be diplomatic or it could turn nasty.
whatever you do dont suggest PTS, this is the last thing they will want to hear and will probably get very defensive. By talking to them and showing an interest, rather than a worry, you can then easily suggest some coligone to help without sounding like you feel that the horse is not being looked after properly.
hope that makes sense.
Dawn

Skhosu

Visit site
TBH, if the vet has been out I would say the owner is probably trying to do the best for his/her horse.
I don't think it is your business personally to tell them to have their horse put down.
Unless he is looking miserable, thin and not getting care there is very little you can do.
We all have different ideas on when to say goodbye.

Rosiefell

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions.The lady is nice enough-in fact she's just helped me with my hay this afternoon. I'm definitely not one for confrontation and I certainly wouldn't be insensitive enough to come right out with it. She strikes me as being a bit "old school" & may not have heard of Coligone.

Tia

Visit site
If she bothers to feed 3X every day and she has had the vet out already then it sounds as if she cares for the horse. Not really anyone's place to get involved I don't think. She may know something you don't.

Tia

Visit site
Liquid diarrhoea would have the horse dead within no time, therefore it must be having some respite at some point to still be alive 6 months later.

Irishcobs

Visit site
My mare gets a yucky back end, poo dribbling down back legs and on the rug. She gets it when put on new grass or when she's in season. Vet has been and said there is nothing wrong with her, she is just grotty and to try a pre/probiotic.
I no this is not the case with this horse, but if some one came up to me saying how I should look after her and to try this and this, even if done tactfully, I would be very upset and angry, thinking they are questioning my care of my horse.

jewel

Visit site
my old horse is very much like the horse you are talking about poo down his back legs and on his rugs whoever when i poo pick i only ever find a few diarrhoea poos the rest are normal. i think as long as the horse is not loosing condition and weight then he should be left alone. also if someone was the suggest to me about have him pts i would be very annoyed as i work very hard to keep him in good condition which i'm sure the lady also does as you said she is feeding him 3 times a day

Rosiefell

Visit site
He is looked after but the point is that he is not in good condition despite being fed 3x a day. She said to me that his diarrhoea isn't as liquid as it once was (and every poo is liquid). Anyway I'm going to keep my mouth shut and let them get on with it.

jewel

Visit site
well if he is not in good condition then she should stop riding him, also one of the things my vet told me to do if my old boy gets really bad is to drege him with fresh dropping from a healthy horse mixing with water to put the good anti bodies back in to his stomach

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Rosie
I do not think you need to keep quiet if you are genuinly concerned. Any good horse person would appreciate that someone is caring enough to ask about their horse. You never know you may hold some information that she can use, ie colegon ect. Being diplomatic and inquisitive in regards to the horse's problem just shows you are willing to learn, are curious about things and are a caring horse owner.
If she is nice then it should be easy to ask a few questions about her horse, if only to put your own mind at rest. You obviouisly feel anxious over it or you would not have posted about it. Put your mind at rest and ask the lady what is wrong with her horse.
best wishes
Dawn