Dilemma

hati

community.webshots.com
Would like your thoughts on a dilemma that I have. We (mum and I) bought a very nice yearling about a month ago, it was a case of falling for him big time. We had intention of buying another horse, but saw him and bought him. He is by an relatively unknown sire, but is lovely and has lovely movement and would make a top class show horse. A very good friend of our and knowledgable breeder has seen and thinks the same way.

The problem! I am doing a PG in Edinburgh at the minute and finish May/June time and heading home to work in Ireland. I would like a youngster to bring on, but can't justify buying another as I don't have time to do them all justice. So do we sell Harley and buy a 4 year old that we start on straight away, or hold out for Harley. Bearing in mind it will be another 2 years before we break him and can't compete him until 2009. Also, although he will be a top class show horse, he might be able to jump out of your way!

All views and opinions greatly appreciated. Oh, another horse by his sire was sold to either America or England as a 3yr this year as a show horse (it was unshown as a 3yr old).

Davina

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd keep the yearling - you can start showing it in hand next year which will be great fun.

However, if you do want a horse to bring on - then I would still keep the yearling, because you don't have to be doing anything with it now so it's not a question of not having time for two. However, if time is a problem - then I wouldn't buy another.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think it depends how much you want to compete.

I sold my last horse as i was told it would take a few years to get him where i wanted him to be (he was backwards and forwards to the vets) and i didn't feel i had time to do him justice as i wanted to compete now while i had the chance and no responsibilities.

If i could afford 2 i would of worked with him and competed the other but I couldn't so I had to base the decision on how much i wanted to compete which is what i originally brought him for so i decided to sell.

Niamhy

photobucket.com
Hiya Davina,

How are you?? I remember seeing Hati's name in the results section for the RDS, so well done to you!!

Id be inclined to hold onto the youngster! I reckon you could be kicking yourself later on for letting him go!

hati

community.webshots.com
Thanks Niamhy, Hati was Champion at the RDS with Katie Nolan this year in the equitation jumping. Umfortunately I was in America at the time still on my world travels. Hati will never be sold, and we are hopefully going to put her in foal next year.

I would like to keep the yearling, but if we sold him well then that money could go towards purchasing the next one. As nice young horses are not cheap anymore. My aim is to do a 1 star before I am 30 (have 6.5 years to do it then).

Niamhy

photobucket.com
Ohh ok now that is a tough call indeed then. Jez I dunno now!!

Thats great about hati, I couldnt remember what I had read the name in the results for!!

mandy4727

Visit site
Keep the youngster. You will be surprised at how quickly the time will pass. We got our in Jan this year and she was 9 months. I seemed ages off until she was 3.5 to start working with. But she is already 18 months old growing like made, been taking her out in traffic, walking over plastic bags, round poles on the ground, had a bridle on, been to a show, near umbrellas. Which is all practice for when she is a growed up horsey!!! Before we know it she will be 3 - 3.5 and we can start with her and know that everything she can do we have got here their ourselves.