Dipping my toe into BD....

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've been told by DR trainer that I have to join BD so the forms are filled out and ready to send.... Eek.

We have no points as never done affiliated before so pretty sure I'm correct in thinking I can join on a My Quest membership and do Prelim Bronze with horse on an Associate membership. Please correct me if I'm wrong?!

I seem to have the idea that I need to wear white gloves but couldn't see this anywhere in the rule book. Have I imagined it?

Any tips for a first timer?! The venue I wanted to go to for my first is only running long arena tests which I guess are prob best avoided for my first BD since I've never done one before! All advice and reassurance gratefully received! Horse is a cracking little native type who has been placed in every UA test we've done and always gets a great eventing DR score so hopefully we won't embarrass ourselves too much!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Gloves must be worn but BD scrapped the white/pale colour rule, so you can wear muted dark colours as well now. If you have still hands white are good as they show this off, if you're not still through your hands then dark ones can help disguise it :).

I think you're right with the My Quest and prelim bronze, but I think if you wanted to qualify for area festivals or winter regionals you have to be a full member. Area Festivals you can collect sheets from bronze, regionals is silver at Prelim.

For a first timer I say treat it no differently to unaff! The only difference is you have to wear a number disk ;), honestly aside from guaranteeing that you will have a listed judge it's the same, so breathe and relax. I quite like long arena tests as it gives you more time to prepare the movements, but it's a personal thing and if you feel more comfortable waiting for short arena tests then it's up to you, better to feel confident with a test you've ridden before for your first go :).

mrsh2010

Visit site
My horse prefers long arenas and honestly there's no difference. Prelim 15 is a lovely straight forward test

You don't actually need to be a member to compete at Prelim unless you want to gain points or sheets for Area or Regionals.

However I just signed straight up a few years ago, did a whole year at Prelim and loved it.

Haven't gone back to Unaffiliated since.

Give it a go, you'll love it, it isn't as scary as it sounds!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Long arena tests are helpful in that you do get more time to setup for each movement. Short arena all seems to happen too fast. I found that most BD venues run long arena tests for prelim as they tend to be regional qualifiers. Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised at how easy they are.

eggs

Visit site
Another who prefers long arena tests.

If you go on the BD website they will have all the rules there. You must have your own bridle (or saddle cloth) number, bit guards cannot be used and boots cannot be worn in the test. You are allowed a caller except for championship tests.

Go out and have fun,

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks for the replies :)
Chatted to someone in RL today who said the same about long arena tests so will give them a go at some point. I am not sure I'll get my registration details back in time to make the entry close date for the show I was looking at so will probably end up going somewhere else a week or two later. I'd fancied doing that show as I thought it might be a bit quieter for a first time but I think I'd rather go to somewhere busy in an arena I know, doing a test I know first time.

I'm cautiously looking forward to it! I never thought I would ever be doing this as up until last year, horse was one of those "lovely paces but prefers the jumping" eventy types. Always gets a good score but would much rather be going XC so things have completely changed now!

ihatework

Visit site
BD is pretty chilled about entries, it's not like BE. If you want to do the show just call the secretary, most will slot you in and let you give them the registration number after

eggs

Visit site
Enter anyway and let them know you will bring your numbers with you on the day of the show.