Disappearing mane...

HeyMich

Visit site
I'm a bit stumped. We've been away on hols for the past 10 days. Had a couple of friends come and see the horses twice daily, do field checks and top up water etc. No one has mentioned any strange goings-on, and the horses all appear happy and healthy on my return.

However, my mare seems to have lost a good chunk of her mane. It's not been cut, it's been rubbed. It looks like it's been rubbed under a poorly fitting full-neck rug, but she hasn't had a rug on since April! (Neither of the friends would put rugs on without telling me, they know my stance on over-rugging!). Could she be rubbing it on a fence post or side of the field shelter maybe? Her and her field companion do groom each other a lot, so could the other one have nibbled it away? She doesn't have sweet itch and their field is quite breezy, so we don't get too many flies/midgies. Could it just be the hot weather? I'm baffled.

How do I treat it now? There's no sore skin, no signs of mites etc. Neem oil?

Thanks all x

AFB

Visit site
I'd think grooming, mine loses some of his to it. Ive just accepted over the years he'll never have a full mane :(

windand rain

Visit site
my guess would be grooming too although rubbing on the shelter would also be high on my list we cannot have anything not protected by electric tape in the field as they would rub on or chew it

Nasicus

Visit site
Another one to suspect grooming. My youngster's mane is quite brittle, and it only took a couple mutual grooming sessions for her to lose half of it :rolleyes:

Reactions: DD

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks all. Looks like it might just be a bit of vigorous mutual grooming. Sigh!

I've never heard of neck threadworms, so I'm off to ask Mr Google about that one...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Dont think it has ever been seen in the UK but anything is possible with changing climate

I don't think that there are any confirmed cases, but I have heard/read about horses that have stopped rubbing their manes after worming. Quite possibly a coincidence, but I thought worth mentioning. :)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I don't think that there are any confirmed cases, but I have heard/read about horses that have stopped rubbing their manes after worming. Quite possibly a coincidence, but I thought worth mentioning. :)
Mentioning neck threadworms seems to be the in thing on sweet itch sites at the moment. However the treatment is regular worming with ivermectin which will also reduce the number of mites or lice or any biting insect feeding on the blood.

HeyMich

Visit site
Mentioning neck threadworms seems to be the in thing on sweet itch sites at the moment. However the treatment is regular worming with ivermectin which will also reduce the number of mites or lice or any biting insect feeding on the blood.

Thanks, that's interesting. The horses are all due a worm count this week so I'll mention it to the vet when I get the results.

Nasicus

Visit site
Oh definitely, has been for a couple of years now. It's very rare to get an account from someone who actually went down the veterinary route and got it diagnosed as Neckthread Worms though. I don't think I've seen a UK case of confirmed NTW in the sweetitch circles yet!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Exact the same thing happened with me, went away.. came back and one of mine had a chunk of mane missing. It must be from grooming as I've watched them since and thats the exact place he was being groomed!
Odd how it happened while I was away.. I suspect boredom as they had 2 weeks off!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Check for any branches of the right height for a good rub and look for a rubbed place on the field shelter... Might be some hair caught in it.... We regularly have to remove branches out of the hedges where they've been rubbing, once they start it encourages them to carry on.... Otherwise grooming.