Disappointed with new saddle wwyd

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I’ve done some digging and it’s about £200 so not much but I fear I’d lose a lot more on a resell.

Is it possible to check what the price would be of a branded saddle , if you know the brand and model, it should be easy to see what they are being sold for.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I’ve done some digging and it’s about £200 so not much but I fear I’d lose a lot more on a resell.

In that case the saddle would be going back!

I’d offer them £1,000 max if I really liked it, or tell them to get me the one I ordered (with a discount for the delay and inconvenience).

Goldenstar

Visit site
All my jumping saddles are made by ideal and badged by the saddle fitter who sorts all my saddles .
Honestly I have never had any issue selling them for very good prices they are highly sought after .
Are you sure there’s an issue I certainly have never had one .

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
All my jumping saddles are made by ideal and badged by the saddle fitter who sorts all my saddles .
Honestly I have never had any issue selling them for very good prices they are highly sought after .
Are you sure there’s an issue I certainly have never had one .

It may depend on the exact fitter, usually it has a significant impact, hence all of us posting that it does. For Ideal the only one I know that seems to sell at a similar price is Martin Wilkinson, and the Stirlingshire Patriot, everything else will be worth significantly less.

Kaylum

Visit site
We were just talking about saddle branding tonight. Some people are rebranding saddles by taking plates off others. It's been going on for years.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
This is a concern. Although I said young he is 8 so he is pretty well developed and I waited until this time before investing in new saddles for him to minimise having to change saddles again.

It is great that it is a good fit etc but for me the telling point is that you say that the horse you bought it for is young - so you may well need to change it at some future date as the horse finishes growing and develops.

I think you would lose too much money with an unbranded saddle in these circumstances.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
glad it got sorted :) now you can just enjoy riding in it.

I'm kind of surprised if this hasn't come up as an issue with clients previously.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I got the impression when I spoke with them to arrange a time to drop the saddle in the workshop, that’s it’s not something they regularly do. They said they got in trouble with their other half who was on my side in regards to having the branded badge on the saddle ? they said they did it to save me money which is nice in a way but I didn’t ask for that and had they suggested it at the time I would have said no for the same concerns around reselling which I’ve had. Anyway all sorted now which is the main thing.

glad it got sorted :) now you can just enjoy riding in it.

I'm kind of surprised if this hasn't come up as an issue with clients previously.

Flyermc

Visit site
Its great its sorted, but does anyone else think this is odd?

They bought an unbranded saddle form a branded manufacture.
As the saddle had no badge is was cheaper for them to buy and then they could sell it cheaper
You've asked for the branded badge, so they can now just put that on? (is this the manufacture putting the badge on or the supplier?)

Does the saddle still come with the warranties of a branded saddle and (am assuming) it will have an ID number/ref on it somewhere. If this with the maker or the seller? (im just thinking for traceability reasons for selling or if something went wrong?

Kizzy2004

Visit site
From what the saddler told me, the saddle is made by the branded saddler but they requested their company badge on it. It has its own serial number so imagine it is traceable to the original manufacture from this. When speaking with my saddler this morning they’ve had to request the badges from the branded manufacture and pay an addition fee to obtain these to switch them over. My saddler has agreed to cover this additional cost so I only pay what I was quoted.

As the saddle had no badge is was cheaper for them to buy and then they could sell it cheaper
You've asked for the branded badge, so they can now just put that on? (is this the manufacture putting the badge on or the supplier?)

Does the saddle still come with the warranties of a branded saddle and (am assuming) it will have an ID number/ref on it somewhere. If this with the maker or the seller? (im just thinking for traceability reasons for selling or if something went wrong?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I did wonder if the manufacturer might not agree if the spec was different (higher/lower) than their standard product. But seems they are ok with at least just for some extra ££.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
From what the saddler told me, the saddle is made by the branded saddler but they requested their company badge on it. It has its own serial number so imagine it is traceable to the original manufacture from this. When speaking with my saddler this morning they’ve had to request the badges from the branded manufacture and pay an addition fee to obtain these to switch them over. My saddler has agreed to cover this additional cost so I only pay what I was quoted.

But what you were quoted was for a branded saddle. So the "additional cost" would have been taken account of within that by the saddler, so he doesn't have to "cover" anything because you are already paying it!

He should be providing you with a discount if anything, for all this additional hassle.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Most of the Ideals for example are so distinctive in style that they can easily be sold secondhand at good prices regardless of badges

The biggest loss you’ll make is the jump from brand new to secondhand of any type

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

No, they are made to order and the fitter's badges put on during manufacture. Most of these saddles are at least semi custom, with a choice of panel shape, seat width, cantle shape, number of girth straps etc, and sometimes even different tree and flap combos.

Putting new nail heads in is a saddler return to workshop job, it's not dead simple for a fitter to do themselves.

Most of the Ideals for example are so distinctive in style that they can easily be sold secondhand at good prices regardless of badges

The biggest loss you’ll make is the jump from brand new to secondhand of any type

Just not true. As I said above, for a few yes, but most people don't know what a particular Ideal model looks like, especially as most are made to order with tweaks, including different trees. It could easily cost someone a couple of hundred pounds, but often a bit more, to sell on unbranded compared to branded, or could delay the sale. This needs to be accounted for in the price paid, though obviously the sums would show that you may end up in the same financial position if the discount for the non-branded saddle is enough.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Don't know what brand yours is supposed to be but I had a custom made to measure albion made for my horse about 3 years ago and it cane with albion certificate and albion badged. Can you reject as not as described and get them to remake and brand it, or contact the saddle maker as they will know if they made it or not and ask for it to be correctly badged.