Disappointing...

icestationzebra

Visit site
..to see Matthew Wright on the latest BE discipline list for Inappropriate and Dangerous riding and Excessive use of whip. Paul Tapner appeara TWICE, once for Excessive use of whip and spurs following elimination and another for Abuse of horse - he was fined a grand total of £150 and MW received a caution.

Anyone else think that the fines should be far greater? Maybe hitting these riders in their pockets might make them think twice before taking out their frustrations on their horses
mad.gif
What sort of example are they setting to young riders??
crazy.gif

glitterfuzz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
..to see Matthew Wright on the latest BE discipline list for Inappropriate and Dangerous riding and Excessive use of whip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not at all suprised to see this man on the list. I was appalled at the way he rode and treated his horses at our BE event!

icestationzebra

Visit site
GF - did anyone say anything or report him? I feel quite strongly that all of us have a responsibility to speak up to the officials. This is so damaging to our sport when so many people - including those at Eland - work so tirelessly to promote the sport and provide competitions for us all to compete at
crazy.gif

charliebo

Visit site
Instead of hitting them in the pocket what about hitting them with the whip and spurs instead? Or would that be illegal?

Gamebird

Visit site
And someone disciplined for jumping practice fences after elimination.... I've done that before!
blush.gif

Not liking the sound of 'approached fence too fast, not in control' much either
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

connie1288

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And someone disciplined for jumping practice fences after elimination.... I've done that before!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We saw the TA do this with a pupil after they had been eliminated?!!
Have to say one rule I didnt know about! Now to search the rule book!!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Are PT's fines etc not relating to the same offence? I know someone who appeared on the list twice, and it related to the same horse/event/occasion

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We saw the TA do this with a pupil after they had been eliminated?!!
Have to say one rule I didnt know about! Now to search the rule book!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i've done it too, only once, over something tiny in the xc warm-up to try to get horse's confidence back, and the BE Steward came over and gave me a total rollocking... oops, genuinely didn't know it wasn't allowed!

back to the original point.... so much for the FEI Code Of Conduct first point. a proper example should be made of these riders. two of the names on the list didn't surprise me one bit.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

connie1288

Visit site
I have just flicked through the rule book K, the only bit i can see is
"may only be used for warming up for the cross country phase"
But this is in bold so new rule and my 08 rule book is in the lorry!!

How many cautions have to be given before something that actually means something happens!

kerilli

Visit site
i've got all my old rule books but i checked at the time (it was about 6 years ago) and the rule was definitely there.

well, considering someone was reprimanded twice for the same offence on different horses on the same day, i think it's pretty pointless really. i can also recall a certain former top rider having a horse collapse and die under him at Gatcombe years ago, a friend of mine was walking the course and said the horse looked cooked 3 fences before it dropped, was wobbling from side to side as it galloped. he wasn't punished at all.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Fines should be far bigger (or there is no deterrent) IMO!!!
Not surprised at MW - have seen him ride at Necarne.

I have jumped the XC practice fence after an E (but asked the chief steward first). Didn't know there was a specific rule about it. Just as well I did ask!

Fiona

diggerbez

Visit site
it seems to be the same names that keep reappearing so clearly not a deterrant. i wonder if they could do something like with footballers where a number of yellows equals a ban (for more minor indiscretions) and red cards leading to immediate ban? that way the riders would really be hit in the pocket- if someone like MW was banned for say 2 weeks i can't imagine his owners being too happy?
crazy.gif

btw- i didn't know that about the practice fence. i think its a bit of a silly rule- most people will have had one of those horses that has genuinely lost confidence and just needs a quick pop before going home...? (i can understand tho that some people would get E and then hammer their horses over the practice fence as punishment....
confused.gif
)

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Certainly doesnt seem to be a deterrant, but how interested are BE in disciplining riders?
I fence judged at Eland in the spring, a "name" had a stop at the Allsorts fence, he was riding a very baby horse, I was on the next fence the Lonely Oak I heard the whip crack on the horses ribs, my car windows were only open slightly, it was very cold! As the unhappy horse jumped my fence it received a hefty whack down the ribs again as it was in mid air, totally unnecessary it had showed no signs of wanting to stop. Radio'ed control, but got no response what so ever. Still makes me cringe thinking about it.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
I think it would be far better if people were publically shamed.
So making in public comments like:

"I wouldn't have lessons with X because he is on THE LIST again!"
"God! did you see so and so's name has cropped up again? how embaressing"
"I would never send my young potential star to his yard, becasue...." etc.
The BE published list should be posted in here as well for all to see.

...eventually this would filter back to the relevant parties and if they start loosing clients/ owners/ sponsorship because of it I think they would fix their ways far more quickly than any fine or measure the BE can apply.

On a slightly less relevant note perhaps thay should all be forced to read Jilly Cooper's 'Riders' =)-

millitiger

Visit site
i agree they need something stronger as punishment- the same names appear again and again.

i am looking for a rider for my very special youngster for next year and have crossed a number of riders off my list for things like this.

KatB

Visit site
alwaysbroke, I know another rider who had a stop at that fence, and then took the horse back the next day to "educate" it.... needless to say I dont think it will dare stop again...
crazy.gif

Saratoga

Visit site
We were fence judging at the Advanced at Aston and saw one particular 'name' use the whip at EVERY fence that we could see and hear, as we were in the main field that was a lot of fences!! I radioed control and wrote it on the sheet, but was never asked about it.

Gamebird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if someone like MW was banned for say 2 weeks i can't imagine his owners being too happy?
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but he has been, at the start of last season for being very rude to someone at (I think) Oasby. Didn't seem to cause much of a problem and I think he just loaded his wagon up and competed in Ireland for a few weeks. My memory is poor but it might have been a 40 day ban. Someone will remember!

jackson30

Visit site
It wasn't MW who was done for the Oasby incident it was OT. MW was done for competing a horse that wasn't registered. Then it brought up all of the issues of ringers. I know that my sisters radiod in miss use of the whip while jump judging at GWhit during the summer event. On one of the occasions it was MW. But I think it is more prolific than we woudl all like to think. Miss use of the whip, doping and starving of water. The more I learn about about top cometitiors the more I'm glad i'm not one of them. The person looking for a rider for a top horse is going to find it very difficult. Thankfully there are still a few who treat them as individuals and as horses.

moogrrr

Visit site
I was just going to say that KatB - i have always had a very (stupidiy) wow view of the pros but the more i read and see makes me think less and less of a lot of them. But it also makes me wonder about those pros who i think are very good with their horses and i really respect. i have also been sus over OT and MW - having seen both of them riding and heard numerous stories how could you not be
frown.gif
? But i really hope that those people who seem to have a super clean image really do.
confused.gif