Disaster

khalswitz

Visit site
Here we are, just after the final withdrawal date for our first BE event this weekend, and I arrive late at night to find Geoff hopping lame unable to move. He has twisted his hind shoe, and there is large hole in his foot where he has stepped on the clip.

THANK GOD my vet happened to be on the yard, as he drove down to the field and helped me Get it off (only went on last week so on TIGHT and he shivers too!!), said there was no obviously blood from the wound but to poultice and use antibs. Had him in overnight, but he is still pretty lame on it this morning. Farrier coming up later to take a look and decide whether to reshoe.

Keeping fingers crossed that he comes sound and stays sound, but looking more and more like we'll have to withdraw... :(

cundlegreen

Visit site
If you can tub him three times a day, he should come right within 3-4 days. You might just get away with it! I find that tubbing works far better than poulticing, and if you can, put a few drops of teatree oil in the hot water, it will draw out any nasties.

khalswitz

Visit site
If you can tub him three times a day, he should come right within 3-4 days. You might just get away with it! I find that tubbing works far better than poulticing, and if you can, put a few drops of teatree oil in the hot water, it will draw out any nasties.

I've been hot tubbing it before poulticing, with Carex in the water, and then spraying anti-Bs on it before wrapping up - everything I can possibly think of!! (But will up the number of times a day if you think that might work!!)

Vet seemed to think that with no blood, if kept clean we might just be ok, but my heart fell when he still looked pretty lame this morning.

This is the third shoe he's lost in three weeks, just after finally being allowed back out with the herd... I'm considering going back to individual turnout/ with one other horse as he just seems to get beaten up and start losing shoes...

khalswitz

Visit site
Eek!! :-S Really hoping you can get him right in time!

Bl00dy horses. I used to have one that went immediately lame the moment I'd entered a DR comp.

I'm so careful about changing turnout etc before comps as he is very prone to losing shoes the morning of... I've gotten that I keep a spare set for use by show farrier!!! However this was a bit nasty :(

Fingers crossed!!!!

be positive

Visit site
Too late to help with this incident but when one of mine went through a stage of treading on his hind shoes and doing much the same I put a sausage boot on him at all times, it seemed to be just enough to stop him doing it, certainly worth trying with Geoff, keep going with the treatment you may be lucky and have a sound horse by the weekend, fingers crossed for you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Its probably just a bruise from where the shoe clip has gone into his foot, soaking in soda crystals can help with bruised feet and hypocare is very good to stop any infection, hope he comes right for your comp:)

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Bl00dy hell Geoff, not good timing!

Fingers crossed he comes sound for you today.

Re: losing shoes when turned out, I use overreaches on the front and sausage boots on each of the backs and that seems to have stopped mine pulling shoes. Failing that, how about overreaches all round?

Liane

Visit site
My youngster pulls my other horses back shoes off (I have actually seen him do it) as he stands so close to him, he wears front and back overreach boots and that seems to have helped.

khalswitz

Visit site
Too late to help with this incident but when one of mine went through a stage of treading on his hind shoes and doing much the same I put a sausage boot on him at all times, it seemed to be just enough to stop him doing it, certainly worth trying with Geoff, keep going with the treatment you may be lucky and have a sound horse by the weekend, fingers crossed for you.

Will look into sausage boots!!! HE does seem to go through phases with it, so could be very useful :D

Its probably just a bruise from where the shoe clip has gone into his foot, soaking in soda crystals can help with bruised feet and hypocare is very good to stop any infection, hope he comes right for your comp:)

Fingers crossed!!! Thanks :D

Bl00dy hell Geoff, not good timing!

Fingers crossed he comes sound for you today.

Re: losing shoes when turned out, I use overreaches on the front and sausage boots on each of the backs and that seems to have stopped mine pulling shoes. Failing that, how about overreaches all round?

He does like his dramatic timing, so he does... Sausage boots like sound like a plan, he wears overreaches all the time when ridden anyway so can certainly do that :D

stilltrying

Visit site
Oh what a nightmare. Mine did this in the field and by the time I got to him he was non weight bearing, thought it was game over when i saw him on 3 legs in the field! It was just initially very very sore, but as others have said it just bruising so should heal pretty quick. our was in the darkest depths of winter and did draw blood, so was a nightmare getting it to heal as ground was so wet.

khalswitz

Visit site
Oh what a nightmare. Mine did this in the field and by the time I got to him he was non weight bearing, thought it was game over when i saw him on 3 legs in the field! It was just initially very very sore, but as others have said it just bruising so should heal pretty quick. our was in the darkest depths of winter and did draw blood, so was a nightmare getting it to heal as ground was so wet.

Ouch!! How long did your lad take to heal up??

I think we've been lucky as the deepest part of the hole is over the white line, it's much shallower over the sole, so hopefully just bruising!!!

He is very, very angry about being inside though. Very high pitched shouting when I walked towards my car :(

stilltrying

Visit site
Ouch!! How long did your lad take to heal up??

I think we've been lucky as the deepest part of the hole is over the white line, it's much shallower over the sole, so hopefully just bruising!!!

He is very, very angry about being inside though. Very high pitched shouting when I walked towards my car :(

Oh dear not a good patient! It was a while ago that it happened but in terms of it healing to the point where he happy on it was only a couple of days, but because the cut was deep and the ground was wet it probably took about 2 weeks to heal fully. But that was partly my fault. He was likewise, an awful patient and i caved in and turned out too soon in wet conditions in a boot and everything just got wet again and it would open up. When mine did it he ripped both front shoes off in the field, taking most of the wall with them, and stood on the toe clip with the barefoot hind. He was lame on 3 legs!

khalswitz

Visit site
Oh dear not a good patient! It was a while ago that it happened but in terms of it healing to the point where he happy on it was only a couple of days, but because the cut was deep and the ground was wet it probably took about 2 weeks to heal fully. But that was partly my fault. He was likewise, an awful patient and i caved in and turned out too soon in wet conditions in a boot and everything just got wet again and it would open up. When mine did it he ripped both front shoes off in the field, taking most of the wall with them, and stood on the toe clip with the barefoot hind. He was lame on 3 legs!

Oh god!!! Feeling much better about Geoff now!!!!

Yeah, he is not very good at being in. Normally I'd turn him out in our small, dry injury paddock, but it has been claimed by another livery with two lame horses, so until he is sound enough to walk to his own paddock again he is stuck inside... He's used to being out all the time all year so he is not best pleased.

stilltrying

Visit site
Oh god!!! Feeling much better about Geoff now!!!!

Yeah, he is not very good at being in. Normally I'd turn him out in our small, dry injury paddock, but it has been claimed by another livery with two lame horses, so until he is sound enough to walk to his own paddock again he is stuck inside... He's used to being out all the time all year so he is not best pleased.

Poor chap - least if he is grumpy he can't be feeling too sorry for himself. Nappies are good for padding - ive always got some pampers in stock!

Lolo

Visit site
You must have made the fatal error of mentioning the withdrawal date/ entry fees within earshot of him. If we did that round Reg he always self-harmed the next day...

Poor boy, fingers crossed he comes sound quickly for you. They make very sudden recoveries from that sort of thing, one minute they can't weightbear then the next day they're fine again... Fingers crossed that's the case for him!

khalswitz

Visit site
Poor chap - least if he is grumpy he can't be feeling too sorry for himself. Nappies are good for padding - ive always got some pampers in stock!

Yeah he was very quiet last night which wasn't like him, but much happier today. Just arrived to be told he's been shouting at everyone all afternoon... He'll be popular!!

Looking much sounder tonight though, just a slightly short step, so looking positive!!

Ruddy horses. Still at least it sounds like he feels pretty cheerful so hopefully he will come sound quickly.

He's much, much better tonight with the shoe on. Farrier has fairly opened his foot up so I can keep spraying and poulticing and hopefully have him sound for the weekend. Had a lesson booked tomorrow afternoon so think that will be a good indicator for whether he might be ok for the weekend if we manage to make it to that!!

You must have made the fatal error of mentioning the withdrawal date/ entry fees within earshot of him. If we did that round Reg he always self-harmed the next day...

Poor boy, fingers crossed he comes sound quickly for you. They make very sudden recoveries from that sort of thing, one minute they can't weightbear then the next day they're fine again... Fingers crossed that's the case for him!

He's terrible for throwing shoes if I tell him we have a big comp (any time we've been selected for a team he's thrown a shoe!!!), so I purposefully wasn't telling him too much... But he is obviously more clever than he looks ;)

I'm hoping so. It does make me wonder sometimes whether we are actually meant to ever get to an event!!!

Mike007

Visit site
He could well be fine for the comp after 3 days. This is NOT going to break him down ! Can your farrier stick a new shoe with a pad on him just before the comp. I would want a pad because if there is an area of sole that has been damaged by the toeclips then you dont want him stepping on a stone in the same area.

khalswitz

Visit site
oh no! :(
poor Geoff and poor you. Hope he's better soon.

Thank you. It's just typical timing. Although he looks sound to trot up this morning, and even looked sound after the post turn out explosion of gymnastics so I'm feeling tentatively hopeful!!

Oh no! Sounds like he's on the mend though so fingers crossed for tomorrow's lesson.

I'm feeling slightly hopeful as he looked ok this morning. Not til 2.30, so he has a few hours to chill first.

He could well be fine for the comp after 3 days. This is NOT going to break him down ! Can your farrier stick a new shoe with a pad on him just before the comp. I would want a pad because if there is an area of sole that has been damaged by the toeclips then you dont want him stepping on a stone in the same area.

I know it isn't a long term break - just typical timing, after trying to get him eventing for two years, to finally be heading to one and feeling quite positive and he does this a few days before.

That is a good point about the pad. I will ask. He is looking pretty sound on it this morning, so hoping he'll be ok now for Saturday!!

Got my times through this morning and we are the last to go of the whole day... Least it's not a 4am wake up although not looking forward to XC in encroaching dark!!

khalswitz

Visit site
You seem to have the same luck I do. Good to hear he is much better :)

I was at an RC social last night, and the phrase 'high maintenance' came up with regards to Geoff... Unfortunately couldn't really deny it!!!

We did manage our lesson yesterday and he seemed fine - kept it very low key for him, and instead did lots of work on my position, with no stirrups and short stirrups and sitting on my hands... so that was positive. He actually went beautifully in the canter too, normally his weak point... so feeling a bit less frantic now!! Hopefully he stays sound now...

khalswitz

Visit site
WELL. It obviously was not meant to be!! Geoff schooled beautifully when I went up to ride today, cleaned all my tack and looked out all my kit...

Got in the car to drive up and walk the course, for a text message from BE to come through - cancelled due to adverse weather.

I think we're cursed!! This is the third event we've entered that has been cancelled in the last few weeks!!

_GG_

Visit site
Oh no, what a shame!! But at least this way Geoff is sound and you will get your money back, whereas you wouldn't have if you'd pulled out. Try to think of the positives! ;)

What are you aiming for instead?

Agree totally....great that Geoff is sound and frustrating as it is, there are positives to take from it.

Hope you can get him out somewhere soon x

khalswitz

Visit site
Oh no, what a shame!! But at least this way Geoff is sound and you will get your money back, whereas you wouldn't have if you'd pulled out. Try to think of the positives! ;)

What are you aiming for instead?

Yes, he is sound, which is fantastic. I'd much rather have a sound horse and a rained off event than a lame horse!!!

I might see if I can sort a lift out to the last event of the season up here, in a few week's time - entries don't close til Wednesday, and they run an 80 class. But depends if I can get a lift or not by then. If not, we are doing team SJ in a few weeks, and we are also aiming for Petplans on the 18th October... so a few things to look forward to still. Wa just very excited about FINALLY getting him to an event after two years...

Agree totally....great that Geoff is sound and frustrating as it is, there are positives to take from it.

Hope you can get him out somewhere soon x

Yes, this is the main thing. He is NOT a good patient (36 hours of box rest was enough to make him MAD, let alone if we had weeks of it...), and means he is well enough to look forward to other things. There is always another time, frustrating as it may be!!

Also read a wee note from the organisers on Facebook - apparently it's the first time this event has EVER had to cancel due to weather. Typical it's the year we enter, huh.