dischargey stuff?

flintmeg

Visit site
at the yard i work at we have 2 mares in foal, both scanned, one due in the next few months, sorry cant remember due date, and the other is a ?? any way, both the mares have a very dark dischargey stuff which is crusted on the hind legs, it is very very crusty and near impossibe to get off, it also has a smell like season, i though i would ask you very knowledgeable bunch that you are if you know what it is, apparently the vet doesnt! sorry if this is a stupid question! so have a drink and cake on me!!!x

Irishlife

Visit site
Hi

Not sure if I can help. If the mares were near their due dates and had a mucousy discharge I would say it was because foaling was very near.

A discharge to me would always be a red alert because it could be a sign of impending abortion. I am amazed your vet did not prescribe anti biotics. The crustiness on the legs could be dried milk which again if they are way off their due dates could imply abortion.

It could be an indicator of uterine infection or problems with the placenta.

Sometimes like pregnant women, mares can get varicous veins which can cause a discharge and a little blood.

I would certainly get the vet again and at this stage it could be worth a manual examination to make sure the cervix is tight and all is well or an ultrasound to check the foals.

Hope you find the answer.

Adina

Visit site
My mare had a discharge like pus on day 282. I always lift her tail for quick check when checking horses in field - if I hadn't I would have missed it. I brought her in and called Vet. Manual and scan - cervix still tight (phew!), could only see foal's feet but appeared to be alive, lots of pus inside vulva, swab taken of cervix. She was put on antibiotics and regumate. Swab came back clear. Will stay on antibiotics until she foals. She is now at day321 and just starting to bag up. But I'm still panicking!
Call the Vet just to be safe.