Disinfecting Stables

star26

Visit site
I'm in the middle of buying a new property, which comes with a few stables and some land. Obviously i want to give the stables a good scrub and disinfect before i move my rabble in. However, the problem is that the drains on the yard run into a little stream, so i won't be able to use any chemicals etc.

Does anyone know of any natural or environmentally friendly products that i could use? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

:)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I can't think of any thing that would not be harmful to fish or the environment. I know you can get products that are environmently friendly but going into a stream is different. Even making your own disinfectant with soda crystals, water and vinegar or lemon juice would have an effect on the water.
I usually slop the solution around the stables and sweep it into buckets. Hard work but doable.

star26

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated :)

It's just such a tricky one, i don't want to harm the environment/wildlife, but i do need to find a way to disinfect.

I did think vinegar/soda crystals would be good- i'll have another google. Then i think i'll just have to try and mop up the run off and cover over the drain so the water can't go down it!

:)

star26

Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the replies, it's really helpful! :)

I do have a pressure washer, but surely water alone won't be enough to kill any bugs?

I think i'll have a google about agricultural disinfectants, and look at the DEFRA list, to see what is allowed.

Thanks again everyone! :)