Dispair and brood mare ideas?

sassyequine

Visit site
After a long and emotional 18 months my beautiful 5 year old warmblood mare was reassessed today for soundness and she has not fully recovered. We are absolutely devesatated as we thought she was making good progress. After so much time, money, many different attempts to resolve it and an emotional roller coaster I feel so very very sad .

She is only 1 - 2 10ths lame and the surgeons view is she will be fine to be a brood mare. She is a very well bred pink papered Zangershiede so I feel this is my only option. I have loaned many horses but never as a brood mare. Id like to hear of any suggestions of where I start, the home is the most important thing to me as she is very precious to me.
Many thanks

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Is she beautifully put together as well as nicely bred? Why has she gone lame?

I am not a fan of breeding simply because it is 'the only option' but if she is a good example of her breed and she has no hereditary/conformation issues then it may be a good solution.
you should have no trouble finding someone with those bloodlines.
I would advertise her as a broodmare & vet her home thoroughly -
Are you wanting to sell her, or loan her?

Also you could contact Twemlows as they are usually looking for mares for Embryo transfer.

the watcher

Visit site
Having had a quick look at your previous posts I would be hesitant to go down this route unless you can identify a specific injury incident that led to this condition, otherwise you could potentially be breeding from a mare that has a conformational problem - and no number of good papers and breeding will overcome that.

Could you not consider another 12 months off work to see if there is a recovery, even it isn't back to eventing fitness.

sassyequine

Visit site
Mayflower, she is fantastically put together and very typical of the breed.

She had a lesion to her DDFT and one on her navicular bursar ligament this caused her heels to drop. With corrective shoeing her heels are back to normal. The lesion has unfortuanately heeled with scar tissue. The surgeons at Newmarket all agree it was likely caused by a growth spurt (4 inches in 6 months)! and nothing hereditary. I am not that irresponsible and have carefully researched it with them in case we wanted to breed from her. Believe me if time was going to make any difference I would try it but at 18 months the images show that it wouldnt.

Tiffany

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mare, I can understand why you are so upset
frown.gif

Not sure if it was in H & H but there was a college looking for a brood mare. I'll see if I can find it, only it last few weeks.