Disposing of heston bale size haylage wraping

teasle

Visit site
How do you all dispose of your haylage wrapping. I have taken some to cover my allotment beds for the winter but lots left. Burning it is illegal , so what do you all do with it?

teasle

Visit site
Also if you burn it the fumes are cancer causing . I just feel guilty sending it all to landfill but it is only plastic bottles that can be plastic recycled round here.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I have always just burned mines, never knew it was illegal to do so. No-nes ever told me that anywhere :confused:

pop it in plastic bags then and put in the recycle bin im sure the will recysle it it is plastic after all :)

Clippy

Visit site
When I open a bale, I cut it off in 3 pieces so they're more managable, they go in black bin bags then to the tip when I have a few. It's classed as commercial waste which is why it goes in bin bags and goes unseen ;)

bumblelion

Visit site
I used to take mine to the tip, I'd collect them up with feed bags etc and fill my truck. However, last year I got pulled up for it as they reckoned it was business waste! I tried explaining that I only had two horses and this is what they get through on a monthly basis but they didn't believe me and sent me away! Now I stash it all in the middle of wheelie bin and burn the paper bags!

Ladydragon

Visit site
The farmer who owns our livery has an arrangement with the council (I think) to have the plastics removed for recycling... He does pay for the services though...

He hangs one of those 1t builder type bags in the barn and we put the wrappings in there - he swaps it out away when it's full...

Our feed bags go back to the shop where they have a recycling option or reuse them in the store in some way...

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
We take ours to the local tip. Since horses arent agricultural animals, and Im not running a business, they are our pets. So they should accept it without a problem as long as it is appropriate quantities.

TBH Ive never had a problem, even when weve got a whole winters worth (we get snowed in - Cairngorms!) and the LWB land rover is stuffed with feed sacks full of haylage wrap, other feed sacks and baler twine.

Unless you are running a livery yard, if its just your personal pet horses waste, I would challenge the council on this one. After all, you arent allowed to burn it either.

It is shortsighted when they are being so picky since it just ends up with people fly tipping and that costs much more to clear up.

scribble

Visit site
If your livery yard is part of a farm then it is likely to be classed as agricultural waste unless he has the livery business registered sepertly as a business in which case it is controlled waste. If it is a yard ie; business and not really part of a farm then it is controlled waste. Either way it hs been illegal to burn farm waste since 2006 when the agricultural waste regs came in and you have never been able to burn controlled waste. The only thing you can burn now is clean and uncontaminated wood if a farmer but you must not produce black smoke or cause nuisance via odour or smell. If you are at home you can burn stuff but again illegal to produce black smoke or cuase offence via odour or smoke/smell which burning plastic would do. also cant burn muck heaps for the same reason.

pixie

Visit site
Whatever you do, please don't put it in with your green waste!
We take green waste from the council and make compost with it for the farm. However, the amount of time we have to spend taking bits of rubbish out of it is unbelievable. The heaps get runed at least once a week and are picked over again each time. We've even managed to fill a whole large council wheelie bin (I think they are about 1000 litre capacity) with rubbish from initial picking over of one delivery alone (and that is excluding large bits of wood and masonry, which have their own pile)! I probably shouldn't say this, but you can always tell when it has come from poorer areas of town :S

scarymare

Visit site
I either bin it or burn it tbh. Neither are very environmentally friendly though. I suspect alot of other people in isolated locations do likewise - which doesnt make it right I know.

diet2ride

Visit site
I hate fires, it always seems like a good idea, and then they scare the c#@p out of me.

doesnt help that my husband is a numpty and has no real understanding of the world -its all virtual to him- he lit a fire of Christmas rubbish and the tree near the stables with a strong wind blowing towards them and houses. :eek:

He's no longer allowed beyond the garden gate...

scarymare

Visit site
I hate fires, it always seems like a good idea, and then they scare the c#@p out of me.

doesnt help that my husband is a numpty and has no real understanding of the world -its all virtual to him- he lit a fire of Christmas rubbish and the tree near the stables with a strong wind blowing towards them and houses. :eek:

He's no longer allowed beyond the garden gate...

Yup, know the one. Mine lit one in the Summer, windy as hell and the next thing we know there's a full on grass fire creeping towards the horses. Men!