Disposing of manure.................

charlie76

Visit site
How do people on here get rid of their muck heaps?
At the moment we have a local company taking it away when the muck heap is full but with 70+ horses on the yard this is very frequent and very expensive- any ideas?

riotgirl

Visit site
I only have 2 horses so don't have as much as others. My dad is an avid composter and we have a big garden so it goes in one of the 8 compost bins we have. If you mix it with grass cuttings it breaks down quite quickly. I also save feed bags and make my friends/neigbours fill them up and take to manure home with them
grin.gif

ihatework

Visit site
what are they bedded on?
I know equisorb (flax) if you buy direct from them they will dispose of your muck heap for free.

Lill

Visit site
We only have 4 horses in but when the trailer is full it either gets dumped in a corner of one of the fields or burnt!

scs

Visit site
we just have 3 horses kept at home, using Aubiose - which is brilliant. It doesnt create too much manure, and it rots down really quickly - and neighbours and local landscape gardeners come and take it away. They even leave us the odd bottle of wine/bag of broad beans as thanks! I know it isnt the cheapest bedding, but the horses seem to like it, is is very quivk and easy to muck out, and well worth it for us.

teapot

Visit site
We have local farmer take ours away or clients are allowed to take it home for rose bushes.

Not sure on cost, we yard is on good terms with farmer as we use his land for hacking etc. Yard for 40+ horses

miller

Visit site
Local farmer takes it away - he brings us a 3 tonne trailer, we fill it and he fetches it back and leaves a new one in it's place. Charges us £30 a go but takes us a month to fill it (2 horses) and saves the hassle of trying to give it away

Patchwork

Visit site
We have a guy in the village who has an allotment and a flatbed trailer - between him and his fellow gardeners they use as much muck as we produce (3 horses stabled overnight) - we sometimes have to ask them to leave us a bit for our garden!

smile.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
I have an agricultural trailer and muck out straight in to it. A local farming contractor empties the contents on to a pile in one of my remote fields. Each pile is for a specific year. A contract gardner uses the 4 year old stuff.

MillionDollar

Visit site
If you change to flax bedding- Equisorb, they will take it away for free! Plus flax is an excellent bedding and cheap, buying in bulk can take the price right down to £3 per bale using about 2 a week per a horse.

Rachel_M

Visit site
I am sure I have read on another thread that we are not allowed to burn the muckheap anymore due to enviromental health issues??????
confused.gif