distance learning - desparate for oppinions

moocow

Visit site
have posted this in careers as well but there is no bady there at the mo! Has anyone done or can anyone recommend a distance learning course that has lead to or will lead to actually getting a job with horses? As in career change??? NOT looking to instruct. Looking at stud management etc. the outdoor job but doesn't have to involve riding (have my own) with some desk based stuff. Qualified up to my eyes in something i have finally realised I don't want to do this for ever. tied into where I am for the next two years or so but want to use the time well.

Any info or oppinions would be really great.

Thanks.

airedale

Visit site
Well - for starters I'd do a book-keeping/basic accountancy course. THAT will help you with ANY business venture you choose to do and they are on offer from a lot of local authority Adult Education. If you want an 'alternative' career working for yourself then being able to do budgets, present business plans to the bank, sort out your accounts, deal with the VATman, etc. is all a necessary but boring skill.

Child protection course is almost de-rigeur nowadays if what you want to do has any children about

First Aid course from St Johns/Red Cross also almost mandatory for stables these days in light of litigation

Also HGV driving course now that issues in regard to horsebox weights is hot-property.

All of those will be very useful skills to put on CV for a job.

The horse stuff - mmm - years ago I did an equi-study course and they got incorporated into something else - can't remember the name - but it WAS good and was stable management/stage III oriented and not based round teaching.

Visit site
Have replied to this in your other post so ignore this if you've already read that:
Have you this week's Irish Field?
The distance learning Equine Science course in the University of Limerick is currently advertised in there.
I did this course when it became available as distance education and did all four modules each term to get it completed is the shortest time possible completing the certificate and then the diploma. It was very good and many of the students were already working in various aspects of the equine industry and were doing it because they had no third level qualifications. You get to meet a wide variety of people attending the tutorials which were one night every three weeks with some saturday attendances at UL also. You can do the riding or business route. All in all I found it very interesting and the subjects are varied from breeding, grassland management, genetics, equine performance to name a few. Access to a good library is an advantage - I had access to the Vet college library at the time as I was a member of UCD staff which was very useful for additional reading - although there's so much more info available in the last few years via the internet.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do - pm me if you'd like more information